A Bill declaring war on media-giant exploitation

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by spy1, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

By Thomas C Greene in Washington
    Posted: 07/29/2002 at 15:59 EST

I read your article earlier today about the push in the US to legalize DoS attacks by corporations against peer-to-peer networking. Now there's a shining example of democracy in action, no?

Since the public is probably getting really bored and cynical with all of the one-sidedness in politics lately, here's a little bill I threw together for the hell of it.

If they want to declare war on the customer, why not do it to them? :) I really hope you will publish this; I think a lot of people might like it.
    --Harley Aulance

Citizens' Open Declaration Against Corporate Injustice
    25 July 2002"

Rest of article here: http://www.theregus.com/content/6/25785.html

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

hear, hear!

3. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

lol i like to see something happend lol.

if your an antivirus or anti trojan or security vendor or software maker take a stand by not selling to these companys that want to reach in our computers and do what ever they want.

refuse to sale to the goverment

go a step further any goverment with a soft ware product for security who aquires your software cant use it lol

reason why i say that is you can denie any one service its your pruduct.

sony does it they wont sale to any store that holds or sales bleem

as a company you can denial sales

lol no more nav for fbi no more tds for goverment

no more software for these jerks then lets see how fast they get a taste of there owen midicine when hakers hack them and start deleting there files lol

4. root

root Registered Member

Well said. A man after my own heart.

Side note: Does anyone find it slightly amusing that a growing double standard is emerging amongst the masses. Why is it that copyright protection for programs (warez) is ok, but when it comes to music, its ok to download and play.
    Just a thought. :D

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Hi, root!

I hear what you're saying, but in my case, the issue isn't file-sharing - the issue is the high-handed, over-re-active and illegal methods being proposed and implemented by both M$ and the RIAA crowd.

They already declared war on us.

Everything we're seeing here in this situation is nothing less than a bid by both of the above to totally control Internet content.

If it isn't squashed, they succeed. Pete

6. snowman

snowman Guest

there is an issue here that could well be food for a great legal debate........
    Root touched on the double standard issue....a point well taken....

an Spy 1 touched on fine points as well.......

Sir Blaser offered yet another point of view\action

in my guesstimation this issue wont be settled in courts of law.....instead it will be resolved by the use of computers.
    an its already begun! A recent DOS attack against a media factor maybe a sign of things to come. with both sides of the fence attacking each other with DOS....any one care to guess at the chaos caused to the entire internet system ?
    Commerce worldwide would be affected....the very fabric of the internet would rip wide open..........an now would anyone care to guess who would be the first to be pressured...an who the first to back-off?
    time and time again for hundreds of years its been well proven that the public at large should never be under-estimated..........in the past Dictators passed laws to cage entire countries...an failed ! Attempts have been made through out recorded history to conquer by force...an all have failed ! an so will this DOS tactic presented by the media industry.......if for no other reason than "numbers"
    ........the media industry is far out-numbered.
    I don't use file sharing...never have and never will....however, in recent weeks I have carefully pondered this issue as objectively as I personally an able to....both as a computer user and person of business.........
    my computer is fairly well harden...an has withstood countless DOS attacks......nevertheless.. there came a point in time when I had to ask myself....."is this really worth it"
    being a reasonable person....an advocate of "two wrongs don't make a right" its never entered my thoughts to take the offensive........instead I have maintained a defensive posture......which has worked very well. An I'll continue this posture.
    nevertheless.....how many wont ? the public is fed up...the public world wide has been savagely adused by the spyguys...lied too..tricked...mis-informed.....hacked..spammed....stalked....stolen from...deceived by software vendors...etc., etc., an there are many out there looking for a banner flag to ride behind...an the media industry may be providing that .
    when those DOS attacks begin clogging networks...an slowing servers extremely....it will affect every user...internet providers will have their pipes jammed....customers will begin hollaring......well..you can see the chaos............an as for the laws.....prisons are already bursting at the seams....are they going to lock up for life some 12 year old script kiddee....an all his buddies....an who is going to pay the expense.......not to mention the added burden to an already overwhelmed court system.....
    I would not even attempt to approach the subject of "right and wrong" in regards to this topic......
    the question I seriously ponder is: how can highly educated men of business even consider such an idea....it reeks of an attitude of total defeat..absolute failure....seasoned men of business defeated by the file sharers.....many of whom may be just mere children still in Jr. high school.......businessmen being payed millions of dollars...holding master degree's....an this is the best answer they can provide ??

snowman

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

That was a very perceptive, thought-provoking post, snowman - thank you!

And it did give me grin to think of all those highly-educated, obscenely-paid media moguls sweating out what little Johnny (or Jill) was going to come up with next! Pete

8. root

root Registered Member

And I hear what you are saying Pete, and of course you know I agree with you.
    The reason I said that is because there are people where my wife works, most of them holier than thou types if someone were to say something about using illegally gotten programs, that recently installed hi speed sattelite connections to the net for the express purpose of downloading music.
    I can go to other web sites and see all kinds of references to using file sharing programs and never once have I seen anyone say downloading pirated music is a no no. You will sure see them get on the wagon if someone comes along and asks for a serial number though.
    I'm not trying to start anything here. I'm just getting a small chuckle out of human nature. It really is funny the way we will justify something if we feel the need is there.
    Like I said, you are right in being concerned about the practices of the RIAA, BSA, M$, and others in there efforts to further line their coffers with gold. There is wrong on both sides here. However, if the fabric of society is to hold together, we cannot allow big business to start using the tactics of the mob to solve their problems.
    We live in interesting times and like Snowey said, radical change may come about from necessity.

Just an afterthought. Do you ppl know that in Branson Missouri, many of the big name stars cannot sing their own hits on stage there because they can afford to pay the royalties to the RIAA.
    Kind of hard to be sympathetic to the RIAA, huh?

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

10. root

root Registered Member

Thanks Jan. I know Steve is not the best liked kid in some towns, but I think that was a very thoughtful, well worded article that cut right to the heart of the matter.
    I would be curious to know if a bunch of XP machines have been hijacked to enable this sustained DoS attack.
    Is Steve sitting there chuckling to himself, I warned you people about Raw Sockets. :D

11. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

I applaud the man, frankly.

12. root

root Registered Member

Oh, personally, I couldn't agree more. The man has helped me immensly. I was learning security from him, when no one else took the time to help the little guy. (Didn't know Paul then)
    He does seem to get under some peoples skin though.

13. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I agree with you both, Root and Checkout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.