93 percent are worried about online privacy

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by guest, Jul 30, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

93 percent are worried about online privacy
    July 30, 2018
    https://betanews.com/2018/07/30/online-privacy-worries/

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yep, this is quite a trend and yet to run it's full course. But just like any other invention over the times, it will eventually wear itself out.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Hmmm. Survey by a VPN service. I worry about selection bias. That is, 93% of people interested in VPNs, maybe.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

And 98% have a real fb acct.

5. lolnothankyou

lolnothankyou Registered Member

This is bs. Judging by the android, chrome, facebook, windows 10, etc. market share... I would say MAX 5% are worried about their privacy.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

You can be worried about chemicals in food, but you will still buy them, since there is no alternative. The same goes for online services, there are no alternatives to FB or Windows, unless you want to be an outcast with no job, no family, no friends, no social life, etc. It is about finding the right balance. Not everyone can afford to buy an isolated island and live there in peace. :D

7. mirimir

I pretty much agree with @TairikuOkami. But even so, I doubt that 93% of a random sample of Americans would say that they're worried about online privacy.

But then, I don't talk with people in meatspace about VPNs and privacy. That'd be poor OPSEC.

8. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Just a 1000 people, and out of, as has been suggested, a biased selection? Surveys like this are nonsense.
    @TairikuOkami the food example may have partial merit, unlike having to find an alternative to FB. You actually don't need one. There is no balance needed. I've never had a FB account and I know plenty of others the same and suffer none of the over exaggerations you describe. It's an extremely tall stretch, then, to equate that with an outcast with no job, no friends, no family, no social life and certainly no island needed. As for windows, there's alternatives outside of work.

9. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

This describes many of us in some ways. To extend the thought on the pasted quote: Just because somebody sees my FB or real name email accounts doesn't mean they know much about me. In my case (to cite an example) I spend little time on these vehicles, but I simply MUST be connected in real life to survive with the lifestyle I want to maintain. Now the balancing of that is the majority of my internet time is spent deep in persona's and those looking at my real name stuff don't have a clue what I am doing. e.g. - making this post at Wilder's or even that I have an account here. This means they all think they "know" me but even my own family doesn't have a clue of my numerous persona's. The point of my post here is that the 93 percent above may include large portions of folks that simply mimic novice activity by not trying to conceal real name activities (its pointless after all), while in reality they have deep cover persona's that are totally the opposite of what they mimic.

10. mirimir

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

:argh:

And that number doesn't even yet include the brand new youth-teen users added every day-week-month getting their first taste of the awesome hype of having a smartphone and no clue OR interest in trying to secure it beyond the vendor's default which is puke anyway at best.

They only become interested after they been OWNED-aka Hacked-and even know about it :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.