9 year old laptop slow to respond.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by twl845, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Windows XP is a fine operating system and can be salvaged most of the time. Here is what you can try:
    1. http://www.blackviper.com/service-c...32-bit-service-pack-3-service-configurations/
      --> I would go bare bones set up except for the services that power wireless
    2. change the theme to most basic and without any animation
    3. set a page file size from 1024mb to 1024mb
    4. http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks7.htm
      --> do some more tweaking here, including registry tweaks
    5. uninstall antivirus and other security software and replace it with appguard

Or you can simply....install Linux Mint 16.

2. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

@mattdocs12345: IMHO, throwing lots of tweaks against the wall and seeing what sticks is not a desirable strategy. I've been there, done that. It can be a tremendous waste of time, for little return.

Usually if a desktop computer is performing badly, it's because there's something wrong with it, or because some software is asking more than the computer can handle. Better to figure out what the problem is IMO.

3. mattdocs12345

Harder done than said. Especially if the Windows XP has corrupted registry or file system. Fixing that to the level of what it used to be after factory install is nearly impossible. I honestly don't think people bother fixing that, usually it is just so much faster to re-install the OS.
    I tweak XP to lower memory/CPU usage to give it extra breath of life.

Now if it is something like a virus or malware that is slowing down the system then by all means I usually am able to fix it. EEK, MBAM, HMP, Adware cleaner and JRT tool are usually what gets things done.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  4. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Personally I've yet to see any tweaks that help on XP, other than disabling the default eyecandy.

(OTOH, I've been a Linux user for a while. YMMV.)

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I agree with that, and only ever reformat as an absolute last resort.

6. mattdocs12345

Stopping services helps a lot. You can check out blackviper website. It has a lot of helpful information.

7. redgrum

redgrum Registered Member

I have found stopping services to work, but it's always a risk on a computer somebody else is going to maintain, especially if they are not very techy.

Disabling unnecessary startup programs would probably show more results for less risk imo, as you are less likely to be getting any support calls further down the road.

8. mattdocs12345

I disagree. After I get a laptop infected I will reformat the computer instead of cleaning it up. It is not only faster but also guarantees that the computer is clean.
    Now if you have the patience and time to dig down and deep and fix corrupted registry, corrupted software and one by one remove viruses/malware/adware and spyware then by all means you guys can go for it.
    I simply take out a recovery CD, pop it back in, go get myself a coffee and problem is solved. I may watch Walking dead in the meantime.
    Better yet the family member is happy that their computer is clean in 30 minutes instead hours or days at a time.
    Each to their own.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I wasn't able to identify the WiFi card prior to restoring XP to the out of the box condition, due to my lack of expertise, but as I said earlier I was able to restore XP nicely. However, although I can see the WiFi running on the computer, it won't accept the password from two different routers I tried, so I can't access the internet. I plugged the ethernet jack in the computer and was able to bring up the Internet Explorer v7 home page up, but in trying to access the Windows Update site it wouldn't go through. I'm trying to see if there's an option I might have missed while setting up but no luck so far. :p

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

If XP updates are still available & I think they are until April 2014. You need to update IE to receive them I believe.

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for that, but I can't even access the web site to get the update.

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

14. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

My last laptop only lasted three years! A 9 year old laptop must be really old!

15. roger_m

It must have been a poor quality laptop to get only 3 years life out of it, or maybe you were just unlucky. What brand was it?

I own several laptops, and the newest of these is nearly 5 years old. I've just finished installing Windows 8.1 on an 8 year old laptop, and it runs quite fast, even with the slow onboard Intel graphics.

16. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

THIS! OLD laptops run like champions with Linux Distros.. I'd recommend MINT-MAYA for speed, ease of use, and reliability.. Ancient or junky laptops can add a half a decade to their lives by installing Linux distros on them.

If you want a really good, highly secure, and easy to use Distro, run to Mageia, it's by far the best, and was 'funded' by a grant from the Italian Government, therefore it had a great team, with lots of resources to make it. It even has hourly/daily/weekly self-security audits built in so you can find exploits or hacks, before they cause issues.

http://www.mageia.org/en/

Other option? Gasp... Ready? Install Windows 8.1... It's far far faster on older laptops than XP or Windows7, and very nearly as speedy as Linux. (if you can believe that)

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I've got the XP running great since restoring it. The problem now is it doesn't see a server so no internet and no WiFi. All settings were checked over and over. I worked with my Time Warner cable tech support and figure it must be something in the computer. I was referred to Microsoft tech support, thinking perhaps I may need a download. Microsoft said they can probably fix it if I give them $99. I told them not a chance.

18. roger_m

Are you connecting to the internet with ethernet, not wifi?

If so, press Windows key + R to bring up the Run dialogue box, and then enter devmgmt.msc then press enter, to open Device Manager. Click on the arrow to the left of Network adapters. What devices (if any) are listed there in Network adapters?

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

The router cable is connected from the modem to the router, and out to the computer ethernet connection for WiFi. If I eliminate the router and connect the modem directly into the ethernet connection of the computer it doesn't help.

20. roger_m

Can I get you to follow the steps I posted. It may be that you don't have the required network driver installed.

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK, back in a minute. I have to start the laptop.

22. Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh Goretsky Security Expert

Hello,

It is likely the hard disk drive will fail at some point, given the age of the computer.

I would strongly suggest creating recovery media for the 2004-vintage Dell Inspiron notebook computer. That way, if the hard disk drive does fail catastrophically, you will be able to use the recovery CDs (or DVDs) to reinstall Microsoft Windows XP to a new hard disk drive.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK here it is:
    1394 Net Adapter
    Broadcom 440x10/100 Integrated Controller
    Intel(R) Pro/wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Thanks for responding. :)

P.S. The Wifi bubble in the sys tray says " Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network NETGEAR". It wouldn't eat my password earlier.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but the lap top is a gift to my Daughter, and I'm not spending any money on it. If it dies it dies. :) I would rather help her buy a new one with the money.

25. roger_m

Does this adapter have an exclamation mark next to it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.