802.11ac 'Gigabit Wi-Fi': What you need to know

Discussion in 'hardware' started by JRViejo, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

There are still millions of a and b devices in use out there and nobody likes to spend money to replace something that is still perfectly good.

Legacy support has always been, and probably always will be a dampening factor when it comes to advancing technologies. 11a and 11b will go away, but it will take awhile. I mean there are still Windows 95/98 users out there. :(

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Well, I will go with my own experience, as I already mentioned, in one bedroom of my house only the 2.4 GHz signals are able to reach from a 802.11n router. The 5 GHz band does not work there.

I am sure in an open area the 802.11ac 5GHz coverage will be better than the 802.11n coverage, but in practical situation, especially if you require your router's signals to penetrate multiple walls, 2.4 GHz still outperforms 5 GHz.

3. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Yeah, that is what it looks as the 802.11ac standard itself is exclusively 5 GHz. If they want it to be back compatible they will have to include the 2.4 GHz transmission on 802.11n standard (which is back compatible with a/b/g).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.