7X64 - sandboxie 3.76 or 4X ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Palancar, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I wanted to break off the other thread because most of the issues I see concern windows 8 systems.

I am running a completely updated 7X64 Pro and want to buy Sandboxie after reading through their site. Tzuk says that on windows 7x64 version 4.09 is a smooth as 3.76 almost certainly.

I have read through the "protection mode" issue on 7 64 bit systems and version 4 sounds like its a better approach.

I want to support Sandboxie and don't mind paying the very reasonable fee to help the project along. I don't see where I can buy version 4 so do I buy 3.76 and then upgrade? I don't want to be limited to one sandbox at a time.

What would you guys on 7X64 recommend? I sort of think that either way I'll be fine. I don't want a "borrowed" copy and the free one isn't what I am going to use.

I know what Sandoxie's site says but what is YOUR experience with my decision to be made?

2. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Sandboxie v4.01.11 is running very well on my W7x64 (with IE10). :thumb:

And yes, buy a lifetime license - it does work with v4 (and I presume also with v5, v6, etc.). ;)

Cruise

3. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I can second the prior poster's recommendation of both Sandboxie v4.01.11 and the lifetime license.

4. Palancar

Sounds great.

I use Firefox mostly. Smooth with that??

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

My everyday browser in both of my computers is Firefox. I never had an issue between the two.

Buying a lifetime license allows you to use it in any computer that you own and in any version that comes out in the future. If you get one, you ll be able to open multiple sandboxes at the same time and Sandboxing becomes automatic (Forced programs/folders feature).

Bo

6. Palancar

I will buy this when I get home tonight. Thanks for the responses.

7. bo elam

By the way, if you decide to try V3.76 first and upgrade later to the beta, you can do an over the top installation. That works great in SBIE. Works the same if you downgrade versions also. Congratulations.

Bo

8. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

That's a smart decision. There aren't too many great apps out there that offer a lifetime license for not much more than the price of a dinner (another app that 'fits that bill' is Shadow Defender).

Cruise

9. bo elam

I was lucky to discover Sandboxie but choosing to use it instead of the hundreds of other security applications that are out there is the wisest and smartest decision that I have taken regarding computers. I really believe that.

Bo

10. Palancar

Been using this a few days now. Nice!!

I just installed version 4 (full paid) and haven't even looked at 3.76. Haven't noticed any problems on my 64 bit system. Using 4.11 for now.

For my take, well worth the few dollars.

11. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Hi Bo,

Should I conclude from your phrase (which I took the liberty to make bold) that you no longer use any other security apps (esp. an AV)?

Regards,
    Cruise

12. bo elam

Hi Cruise, my English is a little rough. Let me explain what I meant to say when I wrote that statement.

By the end of 2008 I knew nothing about security but antiviruses. Even though I usually kept my AV up to date, I would always get infected once or twice a year. This cycle came to an end in Dec 2008 when I got infected by a rootkit, after cleaning the computer myself with no help from anyone, I realized that there are other technologies that work better than antiviruses in preventing getting infected. Thats how I discovered Sandboxie and a hundred other products that I had never heard about. I feel lucky that SBIE was one of those programs, picking it out of the bunch and deciding to use it has proven to be a wise decision as I haven't been infected ever since.

Its incredible but I didn't have to try 5 or 10 programs in order to get to SBIE. Sandboxie was the second program that was not an antivirus that I ever tried and right away I knew it was what I was looking for.

I stopped using antiviruses in Dec 2010, since then my setup has consisted of SBIE, NoScript and the Windows firewall. I realize that to some people this setup looks like nothing but it has worked for me. My formula is very simple. I surf all kind of sites but I am extremely careful about what I run out of the sandbox and it is rare if I run something out of the sandbox.

Best regards

Bo

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  13. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

You are a lucky man! I tried/forsaken many security apps., before stay with SandboxIE forever...

But you deserves the lucky, since you suffered a lot when you "would always get infected once or twice a year". :p

:shifty:

14. bo elam

I think, discovering Sandboxie was the lucky part. Being able to pick SBIE out of the many programs that I discovered at the time without having to try half of them means I have good instincts. The smart decision was deciding to keep using the program..

Bo

15. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Download links for most recent beta versions, 4.01.13:

32-bit
    -http://www.sandboxie.com/SandboxieInstall32-401-13.exe-

64-bit
    -http://www.sandboxie.com/SandboxieInstall64-401-13.exe-

Cruise

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.