7-Zip weird bug...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

OK, for a very long time that I've experienced an odd situation in Windows 7, when hitting the Start menu and then typing in Search for programs and files.

For example, if I searched for taskmgr, and then right-clicked the result, I'd see two instances of many of the right-click context menus, such as Scan with HitmanPro. Instead of just seeing one, I'd see two Scan with HitmanPro.

I removed 7-Zip's context menu, and this issue disappeared. I didn't know it was related to 7-Zip, until I removed it (the context menu) moments ago. o_O Can anyone confirm this situation or was it just here? lol

-edit-

If you read post #16, you'll see the bug is actually (probably) part of Windows and not 7-zips.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

If you reinstall 7zip does the issue reoccur?

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

So this discovery was purely by accident or did you somehow suspect 7 Zip? What prompted the removal in other words?

4. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I have that too! I also have 7-zip. :D
    I discovered it a long time ago, but forgot about it. It doesn't bother me because I rarely right click in the start menu while searching for programs.

5. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

I see two "scan with HitmanPro" all the time and i don't have 7zip installed (Winrar) or Windows 7 (XP)

6. m00nbl00d

Sorry, when I mentioned I removed 7-Zip, I wanted to mean that I removed 7-Zip's own context menu entry, due to 7-Zip loading a dll to explorer.exe, which doesn't support ASLR.

So, yes, it was by accident I came to realize the odd situation I had been experiencing for ages was related to 7-Zip.

I'm going to modify the initial post to say that I meant its context menu.

7. kupo

kupo Registered Member

This is what I'm seeing.

Attached Files:

• bug.jpg
      bug.jpg
      File size:
      186.2 KB
      Views:
  8. m00nbl00d

Well, that's good to know... I think. lol I'm wondering if other users with different compression tools (that add context menus) also see it?

It's not a concerning issue, at all. I just found it puzzling that after all this time, it came down to 7-Zip's context menu. :D

9. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

RightClick.png

And if my memory serves i had two "scan with Avira" too
    Sorry for the greek :p

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I must be a special flower as I have no such issues here. I haven't updated 7-zip in a good while though, so perhaps it's a bug introduced recently?

11. m00nbl00d

No idea. But, user mrpink mentions Winrar also, so... who knows what's truly happening.

For what is worth, I'm using the latest alpha version, though.

12. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Those with double entries, have you used any tweaking app or manually edited the registry to remove shortcut arrows? I had this issue in XP at one time and found a link to fix it. It had something to do with IsShortcut entry in the registry.

13. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I use 7zip many years and never had such problem...you could try to resolve it "Context Menu manager" from Glary Utilities.

14. m00nbl00d

Nope, I didn't tweak the shortcuts arrow.

15. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Me neither. I have these duplicate entries for a long time, i never thought it was a bad thing until m00nblood mentioned it lol

16. m00nbl00d

It seems the bug is in Windows 7 (the one I use), after all.

When I disabled 7-Zip's context menu and opened a program using Search for programs and files, I opened taskmgr.exe. I saw no duplicate entries. I associated that with 7-zip's context menu not being enabled anymore. I usually just opened Process Explorer from within Desktop.

But, moments ago I was opening another process using Search for programs and files, and I saw the duplicate entries.

Considering this, and what mrpink previously mentioned (that he uses Winrar), then I believe it's a Windows bug. So, I'd just like to rectify my initial findings.

It's a weird bug. Why would it happen for some programs only? lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.