$600 Chromebooks are a dangerous development for Microsoft

Discussion in 'hardware' started by mood, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Chromebooks Will Soon Block USB Ports for Better Security
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/chrome-os-locked-usb-ports-rubber-ducky

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Hey, makes sense to me :)

I mean, shouldn't "screen locked" mean "device locked"?

Whether to just screen-lock my VBox host, or shut it down, is often problematic. My bedroom is my office, and there's a UPS kill switch at hand, so I'm comfortable with just screen-locking while I'm sleeping. But what about when I'm away?

If it's just a short trip for some milk or whatever, I just screen-lock. Because it's a hassle to boot, start pfSense and workspace VMs, login Wilders etc, and so on. And because your average thief would just pull plugs and run with stuff. But when I'll be away for several hours or more, I always shut it all down.

It'd be cool if there were an easy way to 1) pause all VMs, and 2) pause the host OS, 3) lock /dev/md1 LUKS, and 4) drop to the single-user prompt. I could maybe script that, but that's a lot of levels to manage. So is there such a Linux utility?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  3. mood

mood Updates Team

Microsoft's latest low-cost lappys look to oust Chromebooks in edu sector
    Affordable Windows 10 devices take aim at the classroom
    January 23, 2019

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...-kick-chromebooks-out-of-the-education-sector

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I don't know why anyone would pay more than $99 for a Chromebook. For $600 I would want a fully functional device.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Google are working on this and are making ChromeBooks Linux compatible. It's a possibility they might be able to run snap packages. I'm tempted to pay 145 quid for that Lenovo 100e and replacing Win 10 with Ubuntu.

6. plat1098

plat1098 Registered Member

Great, just what the environment needs: more toxic landfill.

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

lol

8. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

1) Well there is "VBoxManage controlvm <yourvmnamehere> pause" command but you would still need some scripting 2) pause the host OS? You mean hibernate? 3) & 4) Sorry no clue for those

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Yeah, I could script VBoxManage to pause all running VMs. And there are the cryptsetup commands luksSuspend and luksResume, which would handle the /home folder. And finally, hibernate the host OS. Maybe I'll play with it. But not on this box :)

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

LOL, exactly. It only runs stupid Android apps, I need a fully functional OS. The funny thing is that apparently M$ is working on a Windows Lite version that can only run UWP apps, another dumb idea.

11. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

Chromebook is fully functional, you have everything you need for average and classic uses and it is more secure than crappy Windows.
    You dont have the infinite vulnerabilities and useless processes that always get abused and code injected. And even if you got compromised, resetting it is extremely fast.

Sure you don't have millions of apps... But do you really need so many?

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It is a dumb idea. Just like Windows 10 S. And Windows RT. They just can't take the hint nobody wants this stuff.

13. Rasheed187

I'm pretty sure they don't have all the apps that I need, but yes, I can see that for the new generation it might be enough because they grew up with smartphones.

I don't see the point of it, especially since Windows Mobile is dead.

14. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

you nailed it, indeed , even me, a start to be old man, i now almost only uses Google services, they are very convenient.
    The only thing keeping me on Windows is MS Office (too used to it) and the lovely security theater, you know testing security apps just for the fun of it.

15. Rasheed187

Yes, I can see why Google came up with the idea to challenge Windows. I wonder if they will also try to get some market share in the desktop market.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.