60 years of Liberation

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by slammer_JvA, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    ~ Maple Leafs fell for us, Lest we forget ~

In loving memory of our Canadian, Polish, and other allied liberators we remember the sacrifices they brought 60 years ago today for the freedom of the North of The Netherlands.
    A special place in our hearts will always have the veterans of the Canadian Fusilliers Mont Royal, who fought hard to eventually liberate my hometown Groningen.

O Canada!
    Our home and native land!
    True patriot love in all their sons command.
    With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
    The True North strong and free!
    From far and wide,
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
    God keep our land glorious and free!

~ Thank you, our heroes for ever. ~

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  2. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

And yet our Politicians are still willing to give OUR lives for their causes.....

Nobody listens to History.....Nobody learns from History.....

Cochise, :cool:

3. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

4. slammer_JvA

Well, I wouldn't be that negative (cynical?).
    Today, the war years might seem incomprehensible for the young generation. What, why and how did it happen. We notice however their growing interest in the commemorations. We know how much veterans value the recognition of their friends who fell, and that their great efforts are not forgotten.

He who forgets his past has no future...

May 6 Groningen Liberation Forest Ceremony

The town of Groningen created a living monument to the Canadian liberators of the Netherlands, a forest of some 30,000 maple trees. Dutch citizens purchased trees to plant in a woodland that was the scene of resistance activity during the war. On May 5, 1995, during ceremonies to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands, the Liberation Forest was officially unveiled, in the presence of roughly 250 Canadian veterans who were billeted in the town. On May 6, 2005, children will plant trees, and a UNICEF guest speaker will talk about the rights of children.

NB - In my above post there is a attached poem entitled "The Liberation of Groningen by Canadian Armed Forces in 1945", which is on display in the Canadian Embassy in the Netherlands. The last two lines of the poem are:

"To commemorate them we dedicate a forest yet,
    Maple Leaves fell for us, lest we forget"
    - Liberation Forest. ​

Also see http://www.tycaf.nl/

Attached Files:

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I remember watching a parade some years ago in Holland(not sure which city) where some of the Canadian vets who took part in the liberation attended and the Dutch people lined the streets waving, crying, giving thanks to them for all they had done.

It is an image i will not forget. The appreciation, even after all that time was phenomenal....

snowbound

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

This week we did also commemorate the liberation of Westerbork

Shalom

7. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Like many Grandfathers, mine fought in the war. I just want you to know Slammer, it means so much to him and the other vets for your thank-you, as well as your rememberance of the incidents. The tulips that are shipped to Canada every year by your Country are beautiful. Canada admires your countries thoughtfulness.

8. slammer_JvA

Dear Mikel,
    If it had been the other way around, I'd be sure you and your countrymen would feel and act the same.
    The fact that it has been 60 years does not diminish in any way the magnitude and terror of the war and the brave efforts and sacrifices made for us Europeans; coming from a far and distant land across the ocean to 'voluntary' risk ones life...
    Ever from being a small child these deeds have been moving me; as has the incrompehensive madness of this war (in particular) and holocaust (in general). The times I get real shivers, tears and sorrow is when being confronted with WW2; holocaust; liberation stories...and the bravery of those allied forces. I'm from 1969; my father experienced the "starvation-winter" of 1944. He told me stories... which at an early age brought me insight to the importance of being thankful for the freedom I regard so normal on a daily basis...
    An awareness of respect and thankfulness for those men (& women) back then is so appropiate.

What happened back then should really never be forgotten, nor spoken light about, just because time has gone by....:( :'(
    Better still: this cruel part of our history should always be passed to younger generations!
    This hasn't just been some fiction fairy-tale, or spectacular war videogame...all this happened for real, with and to REAL people!
    See it in documentaries & Film, hear and read about it... just let it all sink in... and one really can't deny the impact of it all.
    Education is so important.
    It's the only way to learn and/or recognize possible simularities in our present times...

Greet your grandpaps from me and again....thank him.

Regards,
    slammer (Joris)

Attached Files:

9. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  10. wildman

wildman Registered Member

o_O I don't know who said this but it is so very true. "Those who forget history are condemned to relive it."

This is also a good reason that everyone who is able to do so VOTE.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :eek: :D ;) :p

11. Fire-Ant

Fire-Ant Registered Member

Well, you've said it now, and I fully agree !

12. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I don't regard myself as cynical, but practical, 'Lest WE Forget' should say it all but already pertinent and 'Embarrassing' (For some Countries) events are already being left out of the History books as being not very Politically Correct.....Lest we forget will very soon change to 'Lets Forgive and Forget'...

Cochise, :cool:

13. slammer_JvA

I'm happy to announce that HRM Queen Beatrix has decided that the annual shipment of those tulip-bulbs to Canada, will continue.

Also see: http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/tulips/gift_e.asp

Warmest regards,
    slam:)

14. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

What a wonderfully laid out piece of history that article was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.