Discussion in 'Prevx Betas' started by Habakuck, Oct 10, 2010.
Good to hear.
Joe, am I correct if I suggest Prevx and Webroot (the mother company) are synchronizing their beta releases to some extent as both parties have some technology from each? The question is just out of curiosity and it just hit me it might be the scenario.
That isn't the case with Prevx 4 at the moment but you will likely begin to see some overlap in the near future
Based on the current atmosphere of software being released, I would say it is about time for Prevx to cut this puppy loose.
They lose more and more customers every day by prolonging this agony.
Simply because new products are being released / updated every day and people do like them updates
IMO Prevx v4 is not going to be released soon, in summer time maybe, but I bet somewhere between October-December.
Until some serious crap happens like what happened with one other security vendor that brought to release a seriously malfunctioning piece of code, which in turn made the lives of many of their users a living hell having their systems running again.
Those users did complain about such security vendor bringing the application to release too soon. The application came out in late 2010, and by now I know lots of people who still have not upgraded. I guess they do not regret it, unlike those who rushed into upgrading.
People do like new and improved software, but they do also like it to work properly.
And this is what the guys at Prevx are doing with their internal testing: making sure it works before releasing a beta. It will be, after all, a completely different version to what we have been used to.
Really? The very vast majority of people I know just want their security software to stop infections. I would have said only techy types that love shiny new things to play with would describe the wait as 'agony'.
Exactly. While I am not allowed to release all of the details yet, I can say that the beta will be coming very soon, but we are waiting until we are highly confident in it. There is no need to rush it out as Prevx 3 is working well in the "wild" and because Prevx 4 is a complete rewrite + redesign of every element of Prevx, we are taking every means possible to make the transition seamless and while this may mean that the technical users here have to wait a bit, it is indeed the best decision for the majority of our customers
Maybe this has been asked before, if so, sorry I missed it. I have 21 days left on my subscription. What will happen if I purchase a new license, say 25 days from now. Will v3 automatically upgrade to v4 if v4 comes out 40 days from the new purchase? Please explain this situation.
Maybe following posts could serve you
Ok so, getting closer to release time ....cool
( pleeez stop all the when when when when posts , it'll be here when )
Re the license q&a here:
Umm: how about updating V2 > V3 > V4 heh...
Have 254 days left on V2
( such a good great little tool )
And btw Joe....
I have had 2 "undetermined" apps detected in V2 for a Lllooonnngg time despite several attempts to get them officially cleared...is V2 still 'active' ??
Find Hidden Service from WinEggDrop...an older cmd line ARK tool
Realistically..this tool is of ..limited relevance... just interests me : the ins and out of "detecting" malware.
( as often the case when Nir Sofer's tools are involved... )
Also perhaps a tool of ..less than common knowledge... , but interesting to poke around with.
PrevX3.xx does not detect or warn re either of these tools on plain scan.
V3 also does not detect or warn when either of the tools are run.
What does it all mean ??
I can send hashes..
The detection of any/all N.Sofers tools seems to be on the basis of packers or LOL potential for malware ??
PS...almost forgot..have still got a free V3 license from the last Wilders prize g-away: still good to go ??
Yes pegas it did help, especially the 1st post. Thanks!
I totally agree. This AV I am thinking about has cost our company lots of money when introducing a defect update.
To be fair, it is not the only AV that has issued erroneous signature updates. I can recall at least 3 vendors where such definitions crippled systems if users applied the faulty update. I agree it shouldn't happen though, but when it has it often results in such companies in having to review their update procedures.
I never mentioned which AV vendor I was thinking about. No reason to point a finger since I cant explain the details. Privately I have never experienced total havoc - more like minor problems with updates etc. Cross my fingers that I am in the right place for my private PCs protection nowadays.
I can name a lot more than 3! I want though because there's not good reason to.
It will be out when its out. Trust me we all are eagerly waiting for it to come out, We all have toys we want to throw at it and see how it holds up. But I rather wait the extra time how ever long that may be then be disappointed when its released because it was rushed.
Prevx is one of the few AVs that I can set and forget and expect it to do its job. I don't want that view changed now because of a rushed product.
Joe, Take your time make sure it works. We will all be here to help with the bug phase when it's ready.
I think we'll be seeing an early Prevx beta in any week now!
That would be great. Hopefully it will introduce changes in the way SafeOnline works, for example. I do believe that it will be possible to choose which browser to protect and under what user account it should be working? (Something I suggested sometime ago.)
Also, and I believe this is something I did not suggest , considering the changes I mentioned, will it be possible to tell SafeOnline where the browser path is, for those situations where we run it in a non-standard path? Or, in what other way would this be achieved?
It would certainly be nice to be able to protect any program as well, not only browsers.
Is that a hint of whats to come?
I am getting abit tired of this cat and mouse game. Give us something to go by or just stop all the hinting and blinking etc.
Separate names with a comma.