3d Stereo registry entries related to nvidia?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by wutsup, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hey wilders,

i was installing new nvidia drivers and i was going through regedit to see anything related to nvidia. and i came up "3d Stereo". and deleted like 4 entries.

does 3D Stereo have anything to do with Nvidia? or is it just part of Windows?

after i deleted it i realized it might not have had anything to do with nvidia:doubt:

everything in windows seems to work fine. could someone with windows vista or windows 7 search for 3d stereo in regedit and tell me if they see the entry?

p.s. i know i shouldve backed up the registry before hand...

thx for reading.

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Well, not only that, Registry entries should not be deleted unless you have verified they are not needed. It generally does no harm whatsoever to leave orphaned entries in the Registry.

Fortunately, in this case, it "appears" as though 3D Stereo entries are for older NVIDIA drivers as this article suggests 3D Stereo was replaced by 3d Vision.

3. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

yea thx for replying bill. i shouldve backed up the registry beforehand. i gues i leanred my lesson. i was just looking on my other computer and 3d stereo is there also. i think its just a part of windows.

the weird thing is i deleted them, but then i checked again and they were there again. maybe windows vista recreated them during reboot or something.

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Well in this cause you could say it was fortunate, but actually i find it Very disconcerting that should happen ! Apart from anything else which "might" cause issues with entries not deleted when you thought they had been, imagine if you had malware & thought you or an Anti app had cleaned everything out including the registry, but it hadn't :eek:

I would do some safe tests, such as installing some harmless app etc, uninstalling & seeing if you can find any leftovers & then CAREFULLY manually deleting them & seeing if they are still there after a reboot.

If the problem persists then you do have a problem :(

5. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

its a problem if the 3d stereo registry entry got recreated again? i know my computer doesnt have malware lol

i just uninstalled steam and deleted anything related to steam or valve and when i rebooted they did not reaappear.

6. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

clone ranger, i uninstalled steam and its registry entries and they have not come back on reboot.

i have another question,
    are the registries for Windows 7 and Windows Vista similar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.