360 Internet Security: FREE Triple antivirus engine, BitDefender included

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jun 11, 2013.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Registered Member

Thanks hardyxyz9.

2. questions

questions Registered Member

Seems like 360 is dead; the same both forums, here and on Facebook
    The whole hype did not last long, though.....

3. GakunGak

GakunGak Registered Member

360 is not dead. They just released updated browser.
    You will hear from them soon enough.
    For both forums.....

4. GakunGak

Dear Qihoo,

I present generated top 5 questions for Wilders Security.

I appreciate all your effort in keeping us informed.

1: When will Limited User Account issue be resolved? [Having to provide admin password in order to run the program]

2: Why is developement on 360 Internet Security in much slower developement ratio compared to Total Security,

and what is the future of 360 Internet Security longterm?

3: Does Total Security have HIPS/BB? Will there be new technologies developed, or automatically/ask to sandbox unknown/suspicous samples?

4: Will BitDefender/Avira signature update increase from 2 per day to much higher number and what version of engines 360 uses for those 2 av's?

5: What future features can we expect for 360 Total Security, 360 Internet Security and 360 Browser?

Since no one wanted to contribute, I had to tinker and make the list myself.
    I will post reply on both threads.

5. questions

Hi GakunGak,

Your optimism is encouraging, however for an AV with 400 mil members the communication over forums is ZERO
    They do not have a dedicated forum and they will just scatter an answer here and there , sometime on DAYS of waiting...

Doesn't matter how good 360IS it is , without support is a dead product.

And who in his own mind wants to complicate his life with such a producto_O

I switched to NOD 32 and I removed 360IS from all my PC; a nice attempt for a new product but a huge failure, so far.

Thanks!

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Haven't they answered this already?

7. questions

Is not the development I am concerned but the lack of support / lack of a dedicated English forum.

And why would you bother with a product (360 IS) which is clearly on the end of its life with a DECLARED slow developmento_O??

8. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Exactly. People need to let go. Qihoo has made it clear the Total Security is their focus. Anyone not happy with that should look for a different program to use.

9. GakunGak

Till it's declared officially End of Life, it is not over for that program yet.
    Also, if enough people try to show support for that program, that is, pure av, no bells and whistles, Qihoo MIGHT consider
    upgrading it, whatever.
    Some people DO like IS more than TS, so, in a sense, I am kinda "pushing" the idea to Qihoo that people still care about it.
    Answered or not, as long as it is on 360safe website, I will ask for developement updates for those that love this program.
    And make no mistake, Qihoo staff do read these forums [passively at this time], so we shall see what the future holds.
    Since Week #1 has already started, you guys feel free to ask anything and I will compile and send do Qihoo next week for round #2.
    Will select questions based on importance.

10. GakunGak

They appreciate Wilders and have registered here, it will GRADUALLY increase over time. Just need to be patient.
    They respect user feedback and try to handle 1000+ requests, questions, etc...
    They will post here from time to time, when they feel ready for it.
    Let us give them all the support and information they need, so that they shape the culture of communication accordingly with us.
    I sense a lot of potential, so that's why I am doing what I am doing, trying to cross the bridge on both sides.

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

And that's fine if you want to express that to them. But to ask why they have not been developing IS, they have pretty much answered that already. It's because their focus has shifted to TS, as they feel it is more feature rich, etc..

12. GakunGak

Why not "nudge" them in the direction of "please do not abandon IS because xyz people use it and like it a lot" rather than "ok, it's dead, I'm gonna switch to something else".
    Those guys are smart, and more users they have, more people are gonna hear about them, which means more popularity more profit and whatever.
    I could kindly ask The Management to seriously reconsider for IS not to lose focus and dev roadmap, but to be equal or good enough.
    OR, what I would suggest at this point, after waiting for their answer, is everyone who cares about IS, to write a letter of support for that program to qihoo support and just
    express their opinion. If enough people do it, you know, they might halt their decision and kickstart IS again in the right direction.

13. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

GakunGak, I have to say that Clocks and Questions are quite right is their assessments. I had two discussions with Marc Lin from Qihoo support close to two months ago. This was my attempt to forge a relationship with their support team. He was quite clear that there will be no further significant development of 360 IS and this was back in late April. As our esteemed forum member and resident expert on Qihoo cruelsister has already aptly stated "TS is where the money is for Qihoo". More on that in a minute. GakunGak, I mentioned my attempts to establish a relationship with Qihoo support and I mention this for two reasons. The first is that I failed in my attempts and found the whole affair to be a huge exercise in frustration. I came to feel that Qihoo support truly was not interested in a give and take Q&A with the end user. Secondly, I applaud you for your efforts to do something similar with them. I wish you much success and I really do hope my assessment is wrong. I was one of 360 Internet Security's biggest supporters when the English version debuted just a little over one year ago. Actually it was May 2013. One thing to remember is that IS was an established product for a few years before most of us ever had an up close look at it. For support to be gradually withdrawn at this point in it's life is really not surprising if you look at the bigger picture. TS is now Qihoo's flagship security product, apart from their mobile security products.

Now, to backtrack to cruelsister's statement. TS is where the money is for Qihoo. That is an accurate statement, and it goes, I believe, to the heart of why Qihoo support may not necessarily be as interested in a ongoing relationship with the end users and forum members here. At least not in the way we would like, and I'll tell you why, as cynical as it may sound. The development of very good free security products by Qihoo for the general public is all about where those free products can take Qihoo as a company. They are quite simply vehicles that allow them to make huge profits is other arenas. The security products are the conduits that allow Qihoo to gather information from users and in turn to use that information for marketing or even to sell to 3rd party companies for their purposes. Nothing illegal about it. It's all disclosed in their privacy disclosure. I say this not as some Chinese xenophobe. It's a business practice that is used all over the world and yes, in capitalist nations, too. Qihoo is doing this as well as any company in the world right now. Just take a look at their stock if you don't believe me. Qihoo is not primarily an internet security company! They are a software company that makes some internet security products, but other, many other types of software. Some of it free and some paid. This is not exactly the same as Avast, Avira or AVG offering free security products to the public in the hope of selling some of their paid products. Those free products do have their own strings attached, and I think we should all realize that to different degrees, internet security companies that offer free products can attach more sinister strings than others. As I said before cruelsister not only understands how Qihoo works as a company, but why, and can probably say so much more adroitly than I have here. For me the Qihoo experiment is over. IS and TS are good free products, but I feel there are just too many issues with them to entrust any of my PC's to. With all of the great deals available in the world almost year round now on security products, I will buy mine from now on. I guess I just cannot deal with the whole free speech vs free beer thing. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  14. GakunGak

@stephentony It can't hurt to try one more time, can it? I will do my best in my ability to have them be more "transparent" than they used to be, they said they are monitoring what we write and even created user account on this forum. If we can get them to interact with us here, half the work is already done.
    As for their money making income, I understand it is from http://360safe.com/about.html
    "Qihoo 360 monetizes its user base through online advertisement and other value added services." Which they confirmed on their Facebook, that they do serve ads and other services to Chinese users only. As for their information gathering, if there's anything other than malware samples submission, I'd rather trust them than NSA/PRISM/whatever affiliated company.
    Well, make that exception for Comodo, as Melih stated on his own forum that his product does not have a backdoor nor no one from the Government contacted him to install one in it.
    Nevertheless, I really do care about Qihoo and with all your help we can try one more time to change something for the better. I get the flagship thing, but who knows, maybe a miracle happens.

15. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Then be direct about it, rather than trying to do it in the form of a question. Start a petition or something.

16. GakunGak

A lot of questions about something can be a clue that something is desired.
    A petition or something could be seen as aggressive and/or insulting.
    I'd rather be respectful and polite about this whole thing, hoping they'd appreciate seeing someone cares about it rather than "today we riot!".

17. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Not sure where you are from, but personally I'd rather someone be direct/honest with me, than ask the same question repeatedly. I also never equated a petition to the threat of a riot. lol

18. GakunGak

While true in most cases, it cannot be treated same in all cases.
    I will try to inquire as much as possible with Qihoo regarding this matter, and if all else fails, that is, all is lost, then we try individually to let Qihoo know that we would like to have IS as well. That is an option of last resort.
    Personally, I use TS and quite extremely happy with it, but seeing people also being passionate about IS, if I can do something to help, I will...

19. GakunGak

QA WEEK 1:

20. GakunGak

Questions gathering starts now.
    I urge all concerned to participate, as there was a feedback regarding my choice of words as "not good".
    Remember to bold so that I do not skip. Questions launch on Sunday.
    Thank You!

21. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

So far ten days using this Qihoo 360 IS, but the infected websites database still remains the same, "Trojan websites in database: 910,833" and "Phishing websites in database: 2,932,451". Is there something wrong with the 360 IS?

22. questions

360.cn suggested that 360IS is a dying product; why all this effort to resurrect it?

23. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

My suggestion is get rid of IS and move to TS if you want to stay with Qihoo. Why does anyone think Qihoo cares about IS anymore? They don't! As for updates they don't come on a regular basis for either product. I'm sorry but there are better free alternatives, and this is coming from a former supporter of of IS.

24. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Not agree, because in AV-Comparatives March 2014 File Detection Test, Qihoo 360 IS was among the best and in Real-World Protection Test May 2014 too. As a bonus, 360 IS 4.8.0 had the best infected file detection rate among those 5 stars security apps (5 among 48 security apps) in there.

PS. I can't use Qihoo 360 Total Security, because it is incompatible with DxO Optics Pro 9.5 RAW-converter, which I use for editing photos. The DxO Optics Pro 9.5 won't even run when I have Qihoo 360 Total Security installed.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  25. GakunGak

I will report your findings asap and will let you know of any reply I get.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.