360 Internet Security: FREE Triple antivirus engine, BitDefender included

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jun 11, 2013.

1. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

Because using Baidu AV is like being on a rollercoaster. Sometimes you get database updates, sometimes you don't. At one point they halted development for months, and then suddenly started again. And Qihoo is very active on its Facebook page, and has also released mobile security products in English.

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

That right there has convinced me to start recommending 360 again, and not Baidu. It just seems to have so much going for it; 3 engines included BD's, light, good GUI, auto-sandbox, repairs system damage caused by malware. I am still apprehensive since the company is Chinese, and headed by a former hacker, but I guess I trust it since it is certified by so many reputable organizations, and no one here has seen it do anything suspicious.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It should be download automatically. If you do an update and it's not downloaded, you could download and install it again (there's no need to uninstall it first), or just wait a few days for it to be updated automatically.

4. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Well QVM engine is just far from impressive!! I wonder what makes so superior!! :cool:

5. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Far from impressive but superior? hmmm, must really be something.o_O

6. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Any recommended changes to default settings?

Does it scan web traffic as per Avast or just filter urls? I use Chrome.

7. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

I run 360 on one of my laptops. I do change the default settings a bit. My suggestion would be to add the QVM II engine under "Engines". Under "Scan" I would check "All Files" & "Compressed Files" but the default of 50MB max is fine. Also check off "Rootkit". Still under "Scan" is "Virus Resolution" and that is for you to decide. Under "Antivirus" I move the protection slider to "High" but that is a bit heaver than the default. It's your call but it is better protection. "Monitored File Types" change to "All". Again, "Threat Resolution" is up to you. I would leave the rest of the default settings as is. There is a "WebScreen" for Firefox but to be honest I am not sure about Chrome. If you get stuck Cruelsister and Brandonn2010 are both very good resources for all things 360. Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  8. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

After installing 360 when you open chrome you will get a window to install 360 plugin.

Dont know if it scans or just filter urls.

9. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Will try these. Thanks.

Got that. It would be nice to know what it does. Anybody else?

It is very light.

10. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Using Windows Explorer I can delete programs on my network drive. However, using Freecomander, I can't delete files. If I exit 360 I can delete files using FC.

Also, if I delete a file using Explorer, it is still listed in FC.

What do I do?:rolleyes:

11. khanyash

What is your system?

Currently I am trying BD Free on Win 7 64 Bits with 4 GB RAM.
    Its light & excellent protection.
    Give it a try.

I find it better than 360 for average users ( if you are an expert user then 360 is better for you as it has HIPS as proactive protection)

12. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

If you're one of the lucky few who do not have the logs issue and are ok with the app automatically deleting malware, sure.

13. khanyash

Yes logs is working fine here.
    It doesn't deletes, it quarantines the threats.

I mentioned good for average users. They cannot identify if the detection is malware or FP. Even if an alert is there they are going to hit quarantine. So for average users alert is the same as autoquarantine.

14. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Does anyone else have a "Delay" in malware detection without download protection? On my system if I were to download a file say the Eicar test file with download protection the file will be detected and deleted automatically. Now if I turn off download protection the download will finish and the file will sit on my desktop and never be detected but then if I wait a few minutes and download the same file again THEN it will be detected this behavior is quite puzzling.....o_O

Anyone else have this problem?

15. khanyash

Does the download scan appears everytime for you?
    In my tests it doesn't appears everytime i.e sometimes it appears & sometimes not.

16. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Everytime I download a malicious file in Chrome I get a download protection popup yes which Is good.

Now I just wish I could figure out the real-time protection for the system not popping up.

17. khanyash

January 22, 2014
    Version 4.9.0
    Virus Database Included: Jan 22, 2014
    Supported Systems: Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1

what's new
    1. Added anti-phishing for IE x64 and IE11

2. Added a new theme

18. phyniks

phyniks Registered Member

Just Installed

Nice GUI

Great Performance

19. anon

anon Registered Member

?

January 22nd, 2014, 07:41 PM:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2331768&postcount=1396

20. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

There is something I find interesting. There is some genuine apprehension that exists about using 360 because it is a Chinese product. Now, I'm not comparing 360 and Baidu as far as what is a better product. I do feel 360 is a more complete product at this point in time, but time will tell if Baidu delivers on some of the promise seen so far.

My question is this: Both are Chinese companies but I have never heard anyone talk about having any fear of installing Baidu because of their distrust of them as a Chinese company. On the other hand I have heard more than a few people say they would love to try 360 but they just don't trust Qihoo. This has nothing to do with the performance of 360 because I think most people will concede that it has done well with most of the independent labs. What is it then? Both companies have been involved in questionable business practices in the past, with neither one engaging in behavior measurably worse than the other. Both companies have planted stories in the press accusing the other of misdeeds. So what is it? Is it because a former hacker has worked on 360? Microsoft has hired hackers to work for them who were talented. Other American companies have done the same thing. Does this have to do with Qihoo's privacy policy or is it something else? I could be completely wrong on this but that is the impression I've gotten. Any thoughts?

21. aztony

aztony Registered Member

My observation/experience on this forum has been, anytime this subject is raised member(s) comments are deleted as off topic, or the thread is closed. So it just seem to me that a frank discussion is out of the question.

22. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Stephen- Without getting into any specifics, the issue you raise revolved around a newspaper article from Feb 2013. Qihoo disputes the facts of that article and is suing the paper for libel. The case will be heard in March at the Xuhui District People’s Court.

23. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

That's because this topic is about 360 IS, not the baseless paranoid ramblings of certain xenophobic members.

24. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Where are you when those "xenophobes" are raising questions about American, Russian, Romanian security companies?

25. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

I haven't been following any thread where that has ocurred. I'm only talking about people in this thread who said they don't trust Qihoo solely because it's a Chinese company.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.