360 Internet Security: FREE Triple antivirus engine, BitDefender included

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Jaspion

Jaspion Registered Member

Mine too. People who have the date as 29 are probably in a different time zone, but have the same signatures.

2. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Does it auto-update to 4.3.0 or do you need to manual install?

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

When I tried 15 hours ago, the live update was not finding the new version.

4. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

It doesn't auto-update presently. Install on top of the old version- it will detect it, ask if you want to upgrade. A reboot is needed as it shuts down the current version prior to install.

5. Jaspion

@cruelsister: do you even intend to test whether the HIPS is cloud-based?

6. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Do we even know if they are going to add a recover option to the sandbox?

7. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I already said about 5 pages back after having the same issue and emailing 360 support that HIPS IS network dependent/cloud based :rolleyes:

8. Jaspion

Yes, I remembered that someone, you, had said that, but I couldn't believe it. It's so stupid, it's hard to believe. What did their support say?

9. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

It would be nice to be able to recover files directly from the sandbox.
    I was able to recover a sandboxed file by restoring it from quarantine.

10. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I deleted the email already but the gist of it was that their threat center found that without internet the chances of getting infected was not enough to warrent the need for HIPS

11. Jaspion

Thank you very much. This is absurd. I'm officially dropping Qihu from my recommendation list.

I won't babble on about the many, many ways someone could get infected without the internet, but let me just say that, perhaps, some one of Qihu's millions of users will perchance one day bring home a USB device with files infected by a still undetected malware — infected via internet, of course, at work or at college, etc — and then bring home these files to his/her computer that is "protected" by Qihu 360 IS. Let us just pray the internet is on and steady on that day at this person's house, because if not we already know it will be a bad day… Except for the cyber criminals, they might like it.

12. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

If there is no internet, the sandbox will autosandbox unknown execution from usb.

13. Jaspion

Oh yeah, I forgot about that setting. But what about a file you just downloaded? You finish the download, the internet goes down. Or maybe the file is in a 7z archive. Etc etc, like I said, there are many ways.

14. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Theres always the bitdefender engine! Certainly does well anyways. I am using antiexecutable so I dont need to worry at all if internet goes down.

15. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

:rolleyes:
    You're making a huge mountain out of a molehill.

16. guest

guest Guest

It is just pure hips, just alert for startup items etc.
    why they disable it when network is disconnected?
    360IS will lose half of power when net connection disconnect because it lose cloud engine/ is it not enought?
    HIPS also stop working, it is not understandablefor me.

17. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Guys,calm down! Chill :)

If in any case the real time or internet goes down or starts 1 or 2 minutes late while the person gets his USB in,there is sandbox to get there in time and plus we have bitdefender engine if anything goes wrong at the end and there is something called "on-demand scan" which many of the average users do once in a while to pick up anything that got through and as for the HIPS part yes its cloud based but it isnt non-effective,most of the users these days dont suffer too many internet problems do they? Perhaps we have forgotten that no security program is 100% :D

Still I feel this could have been better because there will always be someone who will stuck his USB just right after the system boots and what will happen if internet is down then sandbox is only defense left and in addition to that 1-2 minutes after BD engine kicks in and maybe some part of proactive defense maybe.But still doesnt make me happy,its unacceptable in some way for me.

I have sent everything written here to their support.

EDIT: I take my words back,I am gonna keep this program in my list with avast and BD Free.

Hopefully,we will get to hear something from them,I am planning to go with BDAV free for a while here until 360 IS settles around or avast gets their new stuff in order.Cya :cool:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  18. avman1995

Well,it looks like I am gonna stick with this program for some more time than I expected,no mood of uninstalling it,guess what,its a keeper :cool: :D

19. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Until you find another toy to play with...:D

20. avman1995

Well my next toy will probably be BDAV free :D

21. cruelsister

Toys tend to break easily, and so does BDAV.

22. avman1995

so does 360 IS...no toy is 100% ;)

23. cruelsister

Absolutely. Although Q has pushed the native detection level to the excellent level, it still is vulnerable (Jaspion's Worst Case scenarios add to this). That's why the Q+CF combo is (for me at least) the way to go.

24. avman1995

Too late..I got bored...Now looking to try any new toy :D

25. Jaspion

I don't think you got my intended sarcasm. Those were not worst-case scenarios, they were things that happen everyday.

This is a design flaw in my opinion. It's a serious one, I used the example of a USB, but it could be even something downloaded from the internet, password-protected so never verified, and when you open your internet is down. Can't that happen? "Oh, my connection is stable," well good for you. Mine usually is too, but the point is why on Earth would Qihu disable some of its protection if you're offline? If they disabled the web filter or download filter, I would understand. But this is ridiculous! It's like saying your car can't roll up its windows when it's sunny, and the company that makes it says "Well, but the chances you'll need your windows shut while it isn't raining are too small"…

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.