360 Internet Security: FREE Triple antivirus engine, BitDefender included

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jun 11, 2013.

1. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

I can't speak for everyone, but as far as I'm concerned, it's not about brand "loyalty," it's about the reliability of those allegations and the context in which they were made.
    Qihoo has been tested and certified by several organizations; if something serious was up we'd know. Instead, we have allegations that are more reflective of the kind of competitive market in China than the products in question themselves and which, again, are related to Chinese products and their possibly anti-competitive behavior, a behavior they could certainly not get away with in the international market with their English products.
    The aversion to this software seems to be mainly motivated by either xenophobia or ignorance of Chinese capitalism.

It's also important to consider that it's pretty rare to find a free, lightweight, and effective multi-engine antivirus. I myself find this product vastly superior to all other free alternatives, so if I'm not going to use it, I want to have solid proof that it's bad.

Just turn off the Security Center notifications.

2. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Guys,here is something weird.I was testing this and no doubt performance was fantastic as before but I found a very odd signature detection.

Isnt this ClamAV signature? It sure is WTF :eek:

Btw,again I got some very quick response for undetected 20 samples I had from spywar's pack and in just matter of 1 hour cloud detection was put up and only 1 was missed.However I did the test before reporting those to them,It missed 2 from my links and whatever 20 odd samples it missed from malware packs was taken up strictly by proactive defense and VM was pretty much clean apart from a file left over in recycle bin that was falsely reported by HMP as it wasnt there it was deleted.MBAM just found a couple orphan registry values which was no big deal,CCleaner's registry cleaner tab got those anyway.

sent 3 left over samples to their labs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  3. internet addict

internet addict Registered Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but 360 IS does not offer spyware protection, right?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Off topic posts removed.

5. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Isn't spyware just one of many malware categories?
    I guess if BD engine detects spyware, 360 also has to detect it.

6. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

The software does not register as anti spyware in the action center yet, but the BitDefender engine does indeed detect spyware.

7. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

Very well thought out, and expressed with intelligence and understanding. Not to slight any other members because there are so many who have been thoughtful in their posts on this topic but... I am grateful in particular for the posts that AVusah, EASTER, and cruelsister have contributed on this topic. Their contributions have raised the level of discussion beyond whether or not Qihoo 360 is a good security solution to encompass some of the complicated issues that have been part of this thread for almost two months now. That should tell you something about the interest in 360. It is a unique product and many of us here are excited about it. You guys have done a great job and I felt that should be acknowledged.

8. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

New version coming soon...

1094992_477879702308550_347993879_n.jpg

They redesigned the website as well, looks much more professional.

9. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Hopefully they'll add Avira engine and sandbox. That would be awesome.

10. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I downloaded the installer yesterday from their website (twice) but I couldn't get it to run for some reason (32 bit version) on my XP Pro SP 3 system.

C'est la vie.

11. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Do you mean in addition to the other engines or instead of Bitdefender?

I see version 4.2 on their website but is that only the Chinese version?

12. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I would like that but honestly its not necessary

13. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Hi Guys- I don't quite know what is going on, but Qihoo revamped the main website at http://www.360safe.com/

Although one can get to the download page for the Windows 32 or 64 bit software, not only is the package size a bit more than 175MB now (instead of the normal 17-20MB file), it also won't install. For any new to the product that would like to download and successfully install the product I suggest that this link should be used temporarily:

http://www.neowin.net/news/360-internet-security-2013-free-multiple-antivirus-engine-bitdefender-included

Unlike some of the other 3rd party download links you won't have to opt out of any adware and/or browsers with this one.

Thanks go to Blues7 for noticing this!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  14. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

They have mentioned a sandbox in the past. From a Facebook post of theirs:
    I'd love to see the Avira engine as well; it would be nice to have, if even just as an on-demand scanner, but somehow I doubt it will be included. They used a version without it in the latest Av-Test.

BTW, they also said a firewall is unlikely, as the built in Windows firewall is good enough.
    Latest version is 4.1 on the English website:

http://360safe.com/update_pc.html

15. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Thanks to cruelsister for proving I wasn't nuts. :p

Downloaded and installed. Testing as we speak. So far, so good.

16. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I've tested the China version of Q with the Sandbox and quite frankly was less than impressed. The sandbox was not of the same quality as that of Comodo's at Full V. Basically nothing to dream about.

As AVusah has brought up these points, for those that want a Firewall better than the default Windows version as well as an excellent Sandbox, please consider using Q360 (at default) in combination with Comodo Firewall. Personally I suggest shutting off CF's HIPS functionality (potentially problematical and not needed in this combo) and setting AutoSandbox to Full V.

You will now have a very good Firewall as well as a complimentary Cloud AV from Comodo (for example, today I ran a dataset of very fresh samples. Detection with the Q+Cf combo was ~94%, vs Q alone (~88%) or CAV alone (80%).

17. shogun_r

shogun_r Registered Member

Is HIPS included in Qihoo 360 or not?

Proactive Defense yes, but I don't know if it is the same as HIPS? Probably not?

This is what kaspersky says about Proactive Defense http://support.kaspersky.com/6658

18. Antimalware18

Honestly, its a HIPS. It's not as powerful as say, Comodo's or OA's HIPS. However, it is still powerful.

19. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

That's good to know.

So, if we are running OA's HIPS then we should disable "Proactive Defense"?

20. Antimalware18

Yes, they orotect the same areas jus t OA`s protects more.

21. kjdemuth

yeah the chinese version has avira and bitdefender. It also has a sandbox except I'm not really sure how it works.

22. kjdemuth

sure it is. How many times have you run a new sample through virus total and it was only picked up by 3 engines, clam av, sophos and virusbuster? I'm just saying that avira has some good sigs. Why not increase your chances of detecting something?

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

:thumb:

A time when more really is better.

24. kjdemuth

That and the fact that Qihoo 360 is so light that adding the avira sigs wouldn't make it that much heavier. If i could get Bitdefender and Avira in one cloud AV program. Sign me up.

25. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

Maybe they did not include the Avira engine in the English version because of signature overlapping (probably higher with international/Western malware than Chinese-only malware).

If you compare the Jan-Feb 2013 AV-test where they used both engines:
    http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/tests/test-reports/?tx_avtestreports_pi1[report_no]=130593

With the May-Jun 2013 where they only used the BitDefender engine:
    http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/tests/test-reports/?tx_avtestreports_pi1[report_no]=132327

(And btw, I'm using the screenshots to determine which engines were used)

You'll see that the detection rate is very similar. In fact, it's slightly higher in the BitDefender-only version, but that's probably because the test was done on Windows 7 32 bit, as opposed to the other that was done on Win8 x64, and there's no keylogger protection and probably less effective proactive protection under x64.

Of course, the Avira engine would still be a very nice plus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.