360 Internet Security: FREE Triple antivirus engine, BitDefender included

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jun 11, 2013.

1. minhgi

minhgi Registered Member

I am daring myself to try both CIS and 360 IS on my laptop. So far it seem to be working very nice together.

I be unloading 360 as soon as I notice any slow down.

2. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

Maybe it was updating? CPU use tends to jump up when it does.

3. Vilmalith

Vilmalith Registered Member

I like the program.... but the whole chinese software stigma is making me extremely cautious to actually use it....... Can anyone talk me off the cliff or should I just pass by this AV?

4. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Same here. Maybe it's not politically correct to say, but I don't care, it's how I feel.

5. LunarWolf

LunarWolf Registered Member

Most chinese I know in Malaysia are using this*. Heck, even the seller also tell me this* "If you can read chinese, I would install 360 for you. Free and as effective as kaspersky. Save your money (Kaspersky is one of the top brand in my country)"

* Chinese version of 360.

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Bitdefender is a reputable company and are licensing their engine to this company so i dont think there is anything to worry about in terms of the Qihoo company itself.

7. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Don't believe everything you read about Qihoo as their is a turf war going on in China.

Baidu was the first Chinese Internet biggy, touting itself as the Google of China. They made their money via online ads. Qihoo reinvented itself as a Security company. All was well until Qihoo came out with a browser and poached on Baidu's turf. So of course Baidu came out with their AV. Since then it has been a slander war between them, with Baidu getting desparate (Baidu's stock is hovering around 52 week lows, while Qihoo is around 52 week highs). So take what you read with a very large degree of skepticism.

Just because Baidu says that Qihoo's CEO is a cannibal there really is no need to hide the children.

8. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Where is Kingsoft in this story?

9. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

There is no story, baidu just bought out kingsoft security :)

10. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

The same topic seems to come back over and over again. If you don't trust chinese software, fine, don't use it, but please, don't spam threads with your paranoia.

11. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Kingsoft hasn't been bought out. There were rumors last month that Baidu was looking to purchase between 10-20% stake in the company but that still hasn't materialized. However Tencent, a micro-blogging company, did just pick up a few days ago a 15% stake in Kingsoft. This position should be enough to block any Baidu takeover.

12. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Thanks, sista! :)

13. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Possibly - perhaps I should have let it run for longer before disabling it to see if CPU use returned to normal.

14. AppletopHat

AppletopHat Registered Member

I've been a long time avast user though I have strayed off the path every now and again. (Eset, Avg in its earlier useful incarnations, Agnitum, Comodo)
    I have now been using 360 IS for 24 days and so far I like it quite a bit. It doesn't bother me and I don't feel like I have to worry about it. It's just there and it works well, I like that. :cool: Anywho thanks!

15. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I felt the same way. What got me over it was:

1. The owners of Qihoo all made quality security programs in the past, except the head guy who was a hacker.

2. They are technically based in Hong Kong, which while part of China, is also kind of separate.

3. They use Bitdefender's engine, so Bitdefender would have supposedly vetted them.

4. Tons of people use it, so someone would have noticed any suspicious activity.

16. Brandonn2010

Alright, I decided to install on my Mom's laptop after trying Avira and Ad-Aware briefly. It installed very quickly and seems responsive. No noticeable impact but I'll play with it more later. A couple questions though:

1. Do other firewalls work with it, such as Online Armor?

2. Does it require the Chrome extension for web blocking? Would Bitdefender TrafficLight conflict?

17. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

It seems the database updates are always one day behind. For example yesterday after update it showed July 6, 2013 as the last and today now is showing July 7, 2013 date for the database update.

Is that for all 3 engines or just Bitdefender that is updated once a day?

It would be great if they would increase the update frequency to match the latest rather then being a day behind.

18. capprentice

capprentice Registered Member

360 IS is not good. It asks for UAC elevation at login !! Baidu have better detection rate rather than this.
    Moreover "Vipre AV" detected 360 as Risky and removed the setup file !!

Baidu has problems too, One is update (Downloads almost nothing in the name of Update !!).
    The other is, Action Center integration; which does not work.

Windows 7 x64 constantly asking me to install a AV !!
    Rite now Im using Baidu as an on-demand scanner and for USB protection.

19. capprentice

capprentice Registered Member

Adware 10.x.x.x uses Vipre AV engine, which is a very powerful and low resource hungry one. I use Vipre Premium and it has very good detection rate. Best about Vipre is, it has Ad Blocking feature :D

20. spywar

spywar Registered Member

You should report it as FP...

21. spywar

spywar Registered Member

I will never recommend/install such a product...for obvious reasons

22. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

The 360 engine is a cloud engine, so it's always up to date. QVM is a heuristic engine, also in the cloud. The update button only updates the BitDefender engine. I get updates on time over here. Usually 1 per day, sometimes 2. You should contact support.

Qihoo does not ask for UAC elevation on my PC. Baidu doesn't update so at this point it's pretty crappy, and do you have any tests that prove it has better detection?
    Also, why don't you just disable antivirus and antispyware alerts in the action center?

23. Brandonn2010

Question: Would the web guard add-on conflict with TrafficLight? Is it necessary for web protection, or does 360 scan webpages without it?

24. atomomega

I have noticed the same behavior, that's only for BD. The other 2 are cloud engines so they don't require updates.
    No need to. Like I said, the other 2 engines are cloud-based, so they are always up-to-date, obviously, while you have an active internet connection.

25. atomomega

LOL, right. If you didn't like it, don't use it, don't just come here and trash it. Thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.