360 Internet Security: FREE Triple antivirus engine, BitDefender included

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jun 11, 2013.

1. garrett76

garrett76 Registered Member

Although I don't see the point to enable avira engine considered its signatures are two months old.
    Just enable bitdefender engine if you want more offline protection. At least it is updated once per day.

2. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

3. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

my Qihu 360 Internet Security auto-updated a few days ago (without asking me) to 360 Total Security with different interface and also all my previously white listed items seem to have disappeared. Also, it doesn't seem to be triple engine for me anymore. In settings -> virus scan -> scan engine removal, it says that Avira and Bitdefender engines are not installed, but there's no button to install them anywhere. In general, I do not like this new interface. In particular, it doesn't seem to have the tab where you can adjust how aggressive the anti-virus is (low, medium, high).

The program itself runs smoothly and doesn't seem to slow down boot times or system performance, but that said, I haven't had any virus for many years while I've experienced hundreds of false positives. I'm considering uninstalling 360 and also ZoneAlarm firewall and just using Windows antivirus and firewall, and maybe Emsisoft Emergency Kit as an on-demand scanner. It just seems that third party scanners and firewalls are more hassle than they are worth these days.

4. carbonize

carbonize Registered Member

Thought I'd test the Firefox plugin that's supposed to block malware and phishing sites. What a major failure that was. Went to phishtank.com and started visiting some of their known phishing links both recent and old. Not a single one was blocked by TSE. They were blocked by Firefox though until I disabled that. Now I have to figure out how to remove the stupid thing since it doesn't have an option to uninstall it.

5. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

There's a setting for that. There is no "Internet Security" version anymore; it's TS or TSE now. Running a really old version isn't a good security policy...might as well just stick with Windows Defender.
    I was being facetious. Pretty much anything is better than Windows Defender in security and performance. I'm not getting FPs too badly...pretty much unreleased stuff and hacking tools and a few 13-year-old game mods, which are pretty understandable and demonstrate heuristics doing its job.

I agree on that part. Try GlassWire (free version); it's a nice GUI+HIDS+monitor for WF.

6. tgell

tgell Registered Member

@Rolo42, isn't the new "Firewall" in Total Security based on Glasswire?

7. siketa

siketa Registered Member

AFAIK it is not based...it IS Glasswire.

8. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

^ that and GlassWire isn't a firewall; it's a [very nice] front-end to Windows Firewall.

9. JimmyJames321

JimmyJames321 Registered Member

On main GUI, click on "Protection:On" then "Configure", choose "Security" or "Custom".

James

10. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

The name change is not the issue, it's that the accompanying update basically reset this antivirus without asking me first. even the day count of "protecting your system..." was reset to 0. imo, they should either have made the update adopt your settings from the old 360 Internet Security, or just told you that it was being discontinued and asked if you wanted to replace it with their new program.

As for windows defender, I agree it's among the worst in detection rates, but from my own experience it causes a minimal performance hit, is low on false positives, and most importantly does not conflict or cause issues with Windows or legitimate programs.

11. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Thanks. That's essential info - not sure if was just me, but I didn't realize we were supposed to click the shield icon to configure settings (as opposed to clicking the "settings" menu).

12. Hiltihome

Remember, TSE is a free AV made for the average Chinese user, as well for the average Joe and Max Mustermann.
    These users click on everything OK, when it goes to watch rated movies, but click on CANCEL, when legal updates come in (Flash, Java, Adobe-Reader...)

In my opinion, Qhioo did it right, for there average users.

13. carbonize

Small issue on Windows 10 where TSE starts late (after the checks) so at every reboot you get notifications about having no anti virus. Nothing major just annoying.

14. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

It was fixed in Total Security 7.2.0.1052 released yesterday, it should be fixed in the next TSE release.

15. carbonize

Thought the whole point of them changing from IS to TSE was that changes to one could be easily passed to the other so almost identical update schedules.

16. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

TSE major version seems to be 1 month behind TS update cycle, minor fixes are like 1 week behind.

We should expect a update next week.

17. carbonize

Starting to get FPs from QVM again and other oddities from it. Wish they would just let us switch their own engine off. To be honest nearly all my real detections coem from BitDefender so may as well just switch to that. I suspect Avira would detect more but I believe that things are scanned in order QVM, BitDefender then Avira so Avira rarely get's to scan files that have been already flagged. Will post result of last scan at end of post. Also they are still referring to the new MS browser as Spartan when it is now called Edge.

Code:
    360 Total Security Scan Log

Scan Time:2015-08-24 01:00:01
    Time Taken:01:19:05
    Object(s) Scanned:463889
    Threat(s) Found:14
    Threat(s) Resolved:0

Scan Settings
    ----------------------
    Compressed Files Scan:Yes
    Scan Engine:Bitdefender Engine, Avira AntiVir Engine

Scan Scope
    ----------------------
    Full Scan

Scan Result
    ======================
    High-risk Items
    ----------------------
    C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Pokki\Setup\slweblbg\WinServicesUpdater.exe   HEUR/QVM42.0.Malware.Gen   Not resolved

System Anomalies
    ----------------------
    Shortcut to URL:15 - 1.jpg     Not resolved
    Shortcut to URL:google map.jpg     Not resolved
    Shortcut to URL:Midnight_sun-cover-photo-284.jpg     Not resolved
    Shortcut to URL:n1310817560_322117_4857011.jpg     Not resolved
    Shortcut to URL:P2260001.JPG     Not resolved
    Shortcut to URL:photo-125.jpg     Not resolved
    Shortcut to URL:easilylogo.jpg     Not resolved
    Shortcut to URL:20130317_130938.jpg     Not resolved
    Shortcut to URL:20130404_123837.jpg     Not resolved
    Shortcut to URL:20130801_112652-1.jpg     Not resolved
    Shortcut to URL:20140521_162739.jpg     Not resolved
    Shortcut to URL:20140524_231111.jpg     Not resolved
    Shortcut to URL:IMG_2284064536162.jpeg     Not resolved

18. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

19. carbonize

20. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I don't understand the purpose of the new router manager.

21. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

22. Hiltihome

Once again:
    Full installer is an old, outdated version, 7.2.0.1012
    Four versions behind actual online installer, that comes without definitions

EDIT: They fixed it. Offline installer is now up to date

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  23. thedarkness

thedarkness Registered Member

I have only ever tried Qihoo on android. Their website for the desktop edition notes that it uses more than one malware database.
    How fast is Qihoo 360 at updating to the latest database of each? If the program does not update them often enough, is there a manual option?

There seems to be a lot of concern on this thread on whether to trust Qihoo. As long as they don't forward me to any rogue websites or attempt to steal bank details, I would be more than happy for free software. I do not use social media. Most major company 'free' software intrudes on your privacy in some form. I only have to look at what permissions the most popular corporations request upon installing apps on my android phone. So much of what they ask is completely unnecessary and often very questionable, largely EU and US software. Qihoo of course also being so popular, are likely no different. Perhaps they'll all get what's coming to them one day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJaGqN2tfxM

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2015
  24. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

I liked Qihoo 360 a lot...until the false-positives drove me to uninstall it. The FPs keep me from recommending it to non-technical users. The ability to disable the QVM engine (like Qihoo did for the AV tests) would bring me and my endorsement back.

Even with all engines, it was light and my stress tests on a VM couldn't kill it or Windows' responsiveness (which is more than I can say for other popular products).

Their being a Chinese company doesn't mean they're going to phish0rzYourNetz or whatever. The software didn't behave questionably at all. In fact, submitting samples takes work so, if anything, they're not automated enough in that regard. Think of them as if Google offered a desktop security solution.

It also has a nice HIPS/HIDS setup (monitors startup modifications, etc. and it pretty smart about notify vs. interfering) and even scans processes when entering financial sites.

It's mostly customizable (needs notification timeout settings) without going overboard (*ahem* Avast *cough*) though I would rather have too many settings than not enough.

For Android: Xprivacy. Nobody ain't gettin' nuttin' I don't let'em. Downgrade to KitKat if you have to (not sure if Xprivacy is fully functional on L yet but I don't like Lollipop anyway...it's like the Windows 8 of Android).

25. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Rolo,

Their default is Qihoo engines only. And I think for tests with default they enabled Bd too i.e for tests Qihoo engines + Bd both.
    And I think thats the reason they now provide enhanced version that comes with Bd included.

Are you sure they disabled QVM for tests?
    Could you give me the link QVM was disabled for tests?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.