30-40 minute system scans normal?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ejr, Nov 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I am running the trial version.

To scan my C and D drives it takes about 30-40 minutes. This is fine if I do a scheduled scan, but not if the program does a scan every time I do a hard shutdown and reboot.

Is this a normal scan time?

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I have only seen such slow scan times if NOD were cleaning infected files too.
    Otherwise a full scan usually takes around 5-15 minutes, all depending on options and hardware.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It really depends on the computer being scanned. Nod never took less than fourty five minutes to scan my comp.

4. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

It depends on NOD settings, nubber of files scanned etc..... Hard to say any opinion without knowning details.

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    The big question......
    How big is your hard drive? More importantly...how much info is on that drive(s)?

30 - 40 minutes for a 36 gig WD Raptor 10k rpm drive on a system with a gig of RAM...yes, something wrong.

30 - 40 minutes for some maching struggling to run WinXP on only 256 megs, with a pokey massive Maxtor 400 gig drive filled with 300 gigs of MPEGs and MP3s and stuff...well, probably expected, and some other AV would probably take 3 hours on it.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It also depends on the complexity of files scanned. If you've got a lot of archives or runtime packed files, the scan will take longer, especially with advanced heuristics enabled.

7. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Yup. Basically all executable files ( .EXE, .DLL etc ) taking longer time, because for this type of files applying several "additional checks". Runtime packed executables do need even more extra time to unpack them before scanning them, either via static unpack (fast) or via emulation (slower)

Also, archives which have to be unpacked such as ZIP, RAR, CHM etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.