3 Questions:Rollback vs Defrag vs ScanDisk

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by bellgamin, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Q1- I *think* I read somewhere that Rollback (RB) does its own defrags. If so, will it foul up RB if I defrag my hard drives?

Q2- I have some lost chains on my C drive. Will it foul up RB if I let ScanDisk fix those lost chains?

Q3- Is there a *better* program than ScanDisk for repairing lost clusters, lost chains, directory problems, etc?

Any suggestions/replies will be greatly appreciated.*puppy*

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Bellgamin

On question 1. Won't foul anything up, I've done it. Just won't make much difference.

On question 2. I don't think so, but I'd wait on a 2nd opinion on this. Last time I did a repair, I think RB was installed, but now I am relying on memory, and I am not positive.

On question 3 I don't know.

Pete

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

bellgamin, from the Rollback Knowledgebase:

" Can I use Roxio Perfect Disk or any other third party Disk Defrag software?

Firstly -Yes, you can use the "Roxio Perfect Disk" to defrag the drive with Rollback Rx installed.

In fact you can use any defragmenting tool on a Rollback Rx protected system. It won't damage the snapshots or system. However the defrag won't help much (or anything), because the defragmenting tool will not know the Rollback Rx Data strcuture..."

This is also talked about in the User Manual.

http://www.rollbacksoftware.com/kb/...r-any-other-third-party-Disk-Defrag-software?

Acadia

4. bellgamin

@Acadia & Peter- Thanks for answering Q1. I shan't bother with defrag henceforth.

As for Q2, I went ahead & ran ScanDisk. I had several corrupted files that needed fixing. Afterward I made a new Rollback snapshot. Everything is presently *steaming as before* but -- I don't really know how to test it.

As for Q3 I googled a while & ran across several recommendations for Spinrite -- which isn't free by a long shot. As far as I could tell there is no free trial. In any event, how could I trial it when my system is now running smooth as a baby's behind? As I see it, I can't trial a program like Spinrite unless I intentionally destruct some schtuff beforehand! Noooo way will I do that!

5. Peter2150

Hi Bellgamin

Under the system settings be sure to check only take a snapshot when the system is at a consistent state. That will let you know there is a problem, because that means there are disk errors.

Pete

6. bellgamin

Thanks Pete. Per your suggestion, I did that.:thumb:

7. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I'll add that I do use Perfect Disk with Rollback installed and I 'think' it does somewhat improve performance (within my current snapshot). It could just be my imagination, but so far no harm whatsoever.

Btw, I own a copy of Spinrite 6 and would advise against running it with Rollback installed. Furthermore, I find that Spinrite hangs-up with my WD360 SATA drive.

~pv

8. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

That Raxco's Perfect Disk, Roxio has nothing to do with PD.

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Oops!! :oops: (You're absolutely right! Someone ought to notify the Rollback folks that their Knowledgebase has it wrong ... but I SHOULD have caught that!)

Acadia

10. Howard Kaikow

I've reported this to Raxco.

The link that you gave has a comment from someone pointing out the error, but the Rollback folkes have not yet done anything about it.

I am not impressed with Rollback Rx's support.
    In recent weeks, I called and was promised a response.
    Response not yet received.

In any case, my religion prevents me from being a fan of such products. No need to have the overhead of a "restore" program. Good ole backup programs are better.

11. Peter2150

Hi Howard

I've had the opposite experience from Rollback support. But owning two licenses might make a difference.

As far as your "religion" goes, this time I think you have it wrong. First there is no real overhead with Rollback. But last night I completely uninstalled my current AV, and installed a new one to test. Putting my sytem back the way it was took literally the time it takes to reboot plus about 30 seconds. I doubt a "Good ole backup program" could do that. They both have there place.

Pete

12. Howard Kaikow

I have 0 licenses.

One may disagree about a religion's beliefs, but a religion is not really wrong based on the ASSumptions of the religion.

My religion does not care about restore times.
    My religion wants to have the flexibility of choosing from any number of backup files.

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Sound like either Rollback or FirstDefense to me! ;)

Acadia

14. bellgamin

Religion?
    But seriously, folks -- since I persist in using WinME for my vebmeistering, I use Rollback PLUS an image schtick PLUS a back-up schtuff PLUS --- lots of prayer, & the occasional sacrifice of a vestal virgin.

Oh... and my experience with Rollback support is that they are grrrrreat!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.