3.2 Doesn't recognize Netscape 7.1

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by emarsh, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emarsh

    emarsh Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2004
    Posts:
    3
    Title says it all
     
  2. javacool

    javacool BrightFort Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2002
    Posts:
    3,997
    Hi,

    This sounds like the result of an extremely large registry.dat, something that Netscape has been known to create on certain systems.

    Can you please search your computer for "registry.dat" (without the quotes) - there should be one in an "Application Data/Mozilla" folder under your user profile. Then, check the size. If it's a few MB or more, you are probably experiencing that issue.

    The fix is to, of course, rename that file and let Netscape create a new one that should be a few KB in size. (This may cause the program to forget cutomized settings, but you can simply copy all the contents of your old profile folder into the new one.)

    Alternatively, you can switch to Mozilla or Firefox, which do not seem to experience this issue.

    Best regards,

    -Javacool
     
  3. emarsh

    emarsh Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2004
    Posts:
    3
    Registry.dat file is only 2kb, also am running SpywareBlaster on 4 other computers that also have Netscape 7.1,have not updated those to 3.2 yet.
     
  4. javacool

    javacool BrightFort Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2002
    Posts:
    3,997
    Well that's interesting.

    Please let me know if any/all of the other computers exhibit this issue.

    Also, would you mind posting the full path to that registry.dat file you found? (You can censor out your profile name if you wish.)

    Thanks,

    -Javacool
     
  5. emarsh

    emarsh Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2004
    Posts:
    3
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\registry.dat
     
  6. sunflower

    sunflower Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2004
    Posts:
    5
    I posted earlier in another thread that I had the same problem, however, I did have a large registry.dat file. After reading Javacool's advice and doing a little checking, I did the following--I first disabled the SB protection then uninstalled it. Then I deleted the registry.dat file while Netscape was open, then closed it. All my settings, bookmarks, mail, etc were saved, but I did make a backup of my profile folder as a precaution. I reinstalled SB 3.2 and this time it did enable the mozilla/firefox protection. Success! I also marked my registry.dat file as read-only as someone suggested. Now my .dat file is only a couple of KB.

    Thanks for the suggestions, JC!

    PS I checked out the latest info on Mozilla and I don't want to deal with the bugs it still has, so I'll keep Netscape for a while longer.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.