200M Yahoo accounts go up for sale on digital black market

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Aug 2, 2016.

1. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

My Yahoo account was among those in the 2014 breach. Among other things, your phone number is stolen and sold. I recall a number of months afterward, I got a spate of spammy phone calls, and had no idea what the deal was. One year after the breach, it was made obvious my Yahoo account was toast. Somebody (ies) made a veritable fortune from these breaches. Just can't grasp the magnitude.

2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I have an unlisted number, and I have no problems. So, if my details were stolen back in 2014, when the original hack was carried out, I don't seem to have suffered adverse consequences from being with Yahoo.

3. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

It's almost absurd to believe no one at Yahoo was "aware" of this, only after the breach was reported--hmmmm, right. Furthermore, you can now speculate whether some Yahoo people facilitated and profited from the gains of those very breaches. Verizon should throw its offer in the garbage and move on, Yahoo is an albatross.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

They were that all the way back in Windows 98, Vista, and XP days.

Makes one wonder about Hotmail now if it's even still around. Dumped them both many moons ago.

5. guest

guest Guest

Don't people feel strange and very coincidental than Yahoo suddenly get attacked/breached several times since Verizon want to buy it... to me seems a very very very unlucky moment for Yahoo overall value...

1st business rule : "if the product you want to buy is less good than expected, ask for a lower price..."

6. guest

guest Guest

Yesterday i saw the "warning"-message the first time after logging in.
    But i changed my password already some weeks ago. Do i have to change it now again? :cautious:

There are lot of "breach-messages" about yahoo in the last time , it's kind of confusing :D
    Ok, found a quick overview: #48 - A History of Yahoo Hacks

7. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

8. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Has anyone used yahoo account key instead of a password on cell phone.

9. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

About two weeks ago, I had trouble logging into my Yahoo Mail account. When I did get back in, there was a email from Yahoo, which partly said: "we noticed an attempt to sign in to your Yahoo account XXXXXXX from an unrecognised device in Singapore." That was new one on me!

10. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/20...f-yahoo-put-on-hold-after-breach-revelations/

11. Minimalist

Senators frustrated with Yahoo's silence around hacks inquiry
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/senators-stonewalled-by-yahoo-silence-over-historical-hacks/

12. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Yahoo issues new warning of potentially malicious activity on accounts"

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/15/yahoo-hack-warning-user-data-2015-2016

Part of The Guardian Article citing a statement by Yahoo appears to be misleading or inaccuate:

"...Yahoo told the Guardian that it first reported the cookie forging in a filing in November 2016 and outlined the issue in a security update in December 2016, although some users are only being notified this week...."

According to most reports, such as PC World the "notifications" were sent TODAY.

"...In a new warning to users sent Wednesday, Yahoo said the forged cookie problem allowed hackers to gain access to user accounts without passwords. The company connected the issue to the breach it reported in September..."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3170...count-breaches-related-to-recent-attacks.html

A report in The Register is to the same effect.

"...The intruders also snatched session cookies to log into Yahoo! accounts, a detail Yahoo! noted in a December note and has now begun formally alerting customers about..."

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/15/verizon_meh_on_yahoo_megabreaches/

Yahoo's December 2016, Security Update, referenced in The Guardian article, implying that Yahoo began notifying affected customers in December is here:

"...Separately, our outside forensic experts have been investigating the creation of forged cookies that could allow an intruder to access users’ accounts without a password. Based on the ongoing investigation, the outside forensic experts have identified user accounts for which they believe forged cookies were taken or used in 2015 or 2016. The company is notifying the affected account holders, and has invalidated the forged cookies. We have connected some of this activity to the same state-sponsored actor believed to be responsible for the data theft we disclosed on September 22, 2016...."

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN27925.html

Such obscuration of the true facts is in line with Yahoo's recent refusal to fully cooperate with a Senate Committee investigating Yahoo's "Security" Practices:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/senators-stonewalled-by-yahoo-silence-over-historical-hacks/

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  13. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Yahoo emailed me this warning today.

14. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I got two warnings when I tried to login to my second Yahoo account, using the mobile login. I saved one of the warnings, i.e. pdf file. Not too worried, because it appears it was related to having had some yahoo cookie stolen, but apparently that was all. I have changed my passwords back in December on that account.

15. Minimalist

http://www.livecharts.co.uk/share_p...agree--350m-price-cut-for-a-news25580289.html

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Actually, the forged cookie method is very serious, since it allows to login to accounts without having access to the password. Never really thought about this account hijacking method. But I'm guessing that 2FA would have helped.

17. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I think I was OK, because I haven't noticed anything untoward, i.e. no increase in spam. None of my saved emails have been deleted.

By 2FA, you mean 'two factor authentication'? Is that still being used by Yahoo Mail?

18. guest

guest Guest

Yes, 2FA can be enabled for Yahoo Mail:

19. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

:thumb: @mood

"We'll send your cell phone a code by text or phone call that only you'll have access to." I have it, then. :)

20. Rasheed187

Yes, it's not foolproof either, but it's probably the best way to keep accounts safe.

21. Rasheed187

22. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

24. itman

itman Registered Member

https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/yahoo-execs-security-team-over/
    Ms. Marissa takes a good hit to her "pocketbook." Publically "draw and quartering" her would have a more lasting effect.

25. Rasheed187

Correct, I also found it to be strange. But to clarify, I just wanted to give you some general info about 2FA.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.