2000 of dual boot not recognized

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by mnigogos, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnigogos

mnigogos Guest

I have the latest versions of true image and disk director. I have created images of both XP and 2000 partitions in the past as well as restored them without problems. I got a 300 GB hard drive and ever since I have been unable to make both work. The XP restores and works fine. Restoring 2000 (which I had done succesfully in the past on the older drive so I know it is not corrupted) results in several problems. OS selector never sees the 2000 partition although I can view and navigate files from the XP side into the 2000 partition. Disk director suite (as well as window disk management) sees the 2000 install fine. I then edited the boot.ini file on the XP side so I could simply use windows boot and choose 2000 side. I got it to the point where it gives me a "can't find or corrupted <windows root>\system32\hal.dll". I put in a diferent hal.dll file (also suggested from post here) from windows\system32\hal.dll-didn't work.
    I tried to repair the 2000 partition with the windows disk but it can't see the install! I also tried to "upgrade" 2000 with the 2000 disk as suggested on another post and again won't recognize the reimaged partition. In desparation, I ran a FIXMBR with my 2000disk and no change. My partition structure is as follows 3 partitions-first is XP, second is 2000, unallocated then, 4th is documents stuff.

HELP!!!!!!!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mnigogos,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Management Software.

Could you please clarify wheter your system was dual-booted before migrating to the 300Gb drive? If it was then please tell us how was the dual-boot implemented (using OS Selector or simlpy editing the boot.ini file)?

Please read more about "hal.dll is missing or corrupt" error message at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...pehelp/html/xeconHALDLLisMissingorCorrupt.asp

Could you please download Acronis Report utility available at http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to us? This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Please collect the information requested above and contact us from our web-site: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/support/ . Please don't forget to send the link to this thread along with gathered information. This would allow us to investigate the problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

3. mnigogos

mnigogos Guest

My system was indeed a dual boot-forgive me but I have gone through so many iterations I am a bit mixed up. I believe the boot could run off OS selector. I left out an additional piece in the interest of simplicity-I always get a "cannot read from sector 0 of hard drive 0" error when I run OS selector and it only sees the XP side. In addititon, I occansionally see on boot up an error about linux file missing (I had tried a while back to load linux). My presumption was that the MBR was corrupted thus my attempt to run the FIXMBR utility recently. Is that clear?

4. Acronis Support

Hello mnigogos,

The "cannot read from sector 0 of hard drive 0" error message may appear when you modify the partition on which the "Bootwiz" folder is located or the MBR is changed (e.g. the partitions layout is changed). To get rid of this error you should reactivate the OS Selector (e.g. using a Rescue Bootable Media). Please also note that the "hal.dll is missing" error may appear when the boot drive contains one or more driver versions that are not the correct version for the current configuration of your system (this could've happen when you changed the hard disk drive).

If the above doesn't help please proceed the instruction from my previous answer to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

5. mnigogos

mnigogos Guest

I reactivated OS sector by the following mannor: I created a new rescue media in my (working) XP side, rebooted with the disk, entered OS selector and installed, then activated it, then got the following error on reboot:
    Starting Acronis... error loading exe
    Unable to run boot menu
    press enter
    Unable to execute program
    Unable to load initial ramdisk
    Unable to load Linux kernel
    enter to rebbot
    I was then unable to enter Windows until I uninstalled OS selector

Now what?
    I presume you also recieved my report I sent you
    Thank you

6. Acronis Support

Hello mnigogos,

Please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter to Acronis Support Team. I will take care of it.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

7. mnigogos

mnigogos Guest

My # is 391332

8. Acronis Support

Hello mnigogos,

I have sent you a responce to your request. Please check your e-mail box.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.