2 tests that even Comodo fails...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CoolWebSearch, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

2. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

"Even Comodo" ? LOL

OA easily stopped the first test. Asked about "restart system wants to shutdown your system". Once blocked does nothing.

Cannot check the second test -- my rapidshare free limit exceeded. Can anyone provide another link to download it ?

Edit: the same story with second test. Stopped with the same alert.

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Outpost Security Suite Pro stopped both of those. First blocked as Executable unknown, second blocked as malware "RiskTool.Shutdown.I" (trojan)

4. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Taking in account results we have the subject should be rephrased, I think. The word "even" has to be replaced by "only" ? :)

5. xandros

xandros Registered Member

thanx

6. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I'm not fully understanding this, but I take it that RapidShare is a site that will load malware on your computer if you choose to download and use the program. It is not a trustworthy site and should be avoided even if you are a paying customer. I don't use RapidShare, but what exactly is the "test".

7. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

AV scan showed nothing suspiciouse. Then I logged to my test VM, started "test", OA asked about either it is allowed to run, then it alerted the "test" wants to shutdown my system. At this point I clicked "block" and nothing else happened. This is all I can say about the "test". Or to be correct about the both tests. Then I restored VM image (just in case) :)

8. Teknokrat

Teknokrat Registered Member

Rapidshare is a site where you can upload files for others to download. Someone (the OP?) has uploaded two files that can be used to test firewalls. Rapidshare has nothing to do with the actual test, they just provide a service to store files online.

regards,
    T

9. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Thank you, now it makes sense!

10. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Sandoxie did not pass "restart.exe" but is it supposed to?
    I tried it on Vista. I started restart.exe in Sandboxie. UAC detected that it was trying to do something administrative, as it should, but I allowed it and it did shut down windows.
    These are not actual malware as I understand it? I guess thats why for example Avast didnt react...

11. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Actually, this is not a malware and nothing wrong can be done with shutdown. This is just a question of consistency. For example, in OA advanced program settings there is an option "system shutdown" Ask/Allow/Block and so I expect that OA can detect and prevent shutdown attempts. Sandboxie seems to be not supposed to, but this is really not a problem in case sandboxie doesn't have such option.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

13. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

14. Technic

Technic Registered Member

And Avira WebGuard blocked access to both files...

15. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Ailef says nooooooo.

Attached Files:

16. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Ailef does not see a difference between priviledge elevation and shutdown API call. This is a picture of Comodo intercepting priviledge elevation attempt. But almost any account under NT system can have this priviledge without elevation, so elevation block will not help. And there, in the very first link of this thread Comodo developer explains it clearly. Yes, they intercept priviledge elevation, but they fail to stop shutdown.

I trust developer much more than Alief, who does not understand the very basic things about NT platform.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Interesting. I missed ur earlier post.

18. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Agreed 100%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.