2-step, CD vs DVD files, multiple on one disk?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by aoz, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoz

aoz Registered Member

to all,
    I'm experimenting with various BACKUP methods.
    I back up to external USB drives, but I've ALWAYS made the backup as Fixed-size files, 650-mb, in case I ever needed to revert to a restore from CD's (and I have had to at times)

Now that DVD's are (semi) reliable, I'm experimenting with bigger sizes (1.9 gb).

The question I have is
    does it even MATTER what size fixed file you use, if you do a 2-step operation?
    If I have 650-mb files, and my backup is made up of 10 of the 650-mb files, and I copy 5 of these files to one DVD, and the other 5 to the other dvd (thus having 2 dvd's comprising the restore)

AND, then start the restore
    will True Image, if reading from one of the TIB files, and then decides it needs another TIB file, detect if that needed TIB file is on the same DVD?

It obviously does this detection when it is reading from the external USB drive (as some of my backups have 20 TIB files)

any feedback on this, and in the meantime I can test it out also

thanks
    Nick

2. wannaknow

wannaknow Guest

I think more importantly, will TI detect that it needs the user to insert the SECOND DVD (or CD) to access the rest of the tib files, and do this without error or crashing??

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Nick,

Burn the first 5 tib files (or 6 if you like) to a DVD and name it Volume 1. Burn the remaining .tib files to a second DVD and name this Volume 2. When carrying out the restore, insert the last Volume (2) first and then follow TI's prompts for subsequent disk changes.

By the way, if you want the optimum use of space on an ISO DVD, use either 635MB or 1490MB when splitting the image manually during creation to your hard drive (ignore the drop down selections and just enter your preferred size directly). You can then burn up to a maximum of 7 x 635MB files or 3 x 1490MB files per DVD.

Regards

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.