2 cores or 4 cores

Discussion in 'polls' started by HURST, Apr 25, 2008.

?

dual or quad core?

1. Dual Core

89 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Quad Core

84 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Check out CPU charts in games and aplications to see difference - http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/processors,6.html - multicore supports raises.
    My friend just asked, which one is better, well it depends, eg in GTA 4 you can get better framerate with Intel quad 2,33 Ghz than with dual 3,33 Ghz.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    "...comes out the winner"...how are you benchmarking this? I'll wager the bigger reason for a performance gap lies in the fact that it's a laptop versus a desktop, and the laptop most likely has a much lower performance hard drive...most sub-1000 dollar laptops will have cheaper 5400rpm spindles, and even the 7200rpm models won't be equal in performance to desktop counterparts.

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    At this point in time, with operating systems and software as it curently it, the above is the true answer.

It depends on what you run, and overall your typical computer use. For some apps, a higher clocked dual core will perform better.

4. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Quad core as I play modern games.
    The Saboteur and Left 4 Dead 2 are games that use more than two cores.

5. guest

guest Guest

I got an Acer Aspire 5100-5033, a three years old notebook which came with a dual-core processor: AMD Turion 64 x2 1.6GHz.

If I was going to buy some new notebook or PC, its processor would be quad-core. Vendors that optimize their software code to multiple cores have been focusing on quad-cores.

6. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

interesting read,,in fact if buying from brands,which ones is better..
    mean pc brands..

7. guest

guest Guest

Intel got the most expensive top performance "monsters". But, from the cost-benefit point of view, AMD processors are way better.

If your talk about "PC brands" refers to PCs from manufacturers like Acer, Dell, HP and others, from the cost-benefit point of view, the Acer ones are usually better.

Anyways, always research a lot before you buy.

8. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

quad core makes a MASSIVE difference, as a huge pc gamer... lol... i know the difference. :p

tried and tested Babbyyyy, lol

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I want Quad Core, but $$ money doesn't :p

10. icr

icr Registered Member

Dual core quite cheap and affordable.
    Also I never had much of an experience with quad core.

11. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

hey thanks for the advice...now next question...
    a trustable vendor...most online vendor ships throught ups,fedex..and they like to throw packages,boxes....here in nyc i think only having bestbuy to pick myself a unit...but don't see acers the sell.

12. progress

progress Guest

... but my Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 is faster in most applications than AMD Phenom II X3 and AMD Phenom II X4 :)

13. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

I just got my I7. Quad core with HT.

14. progress

progress Guest

This will be my next CPU too - 940/950/960? :)

15. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i love my core 2 duo 2.66 ghz with 6gb ram i run fedora most of the time CPU hardly go above 3-20%

and on vista 32 bit with kis without firewall and outpost CPU goes up to normal 20-30 % some times 60-75%

i hardly see 100 % only when run xp with norton security suite in a vbox
    it touches few times 100%

i tried quadcore but they too hot babes for me :D

weather here goes up to 40-46 °C during summer so it work under that even without any special heat sink/cooler expect the default comes with intel :D

i usually run it under 35 -40 °C its been 5 years for me core 2 duo 2.66 ghz its rock :thumb:

i built up recently 2nd machine on core duo 2.66 with 2 gb ram and intel mother board 160 gb seagate sata ......etc cost me 250$ for astaro security gateway i guss

making 2 machines at price of i7 good deal for me :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  16. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

my Quad Core Intel i7 860 is fast and can auto overclock lol im happy with this baby

17. ameyap

ameyap Registered Member

2 cores on my laptop and believe it or not a single core athlon on my pc from 2003 that i still use. planning to update soon to a 4 or even an 8 core (if i find it resonably priced)

18. blackcobra

blackcobra Registered Member

I guess most of the applications are not Quad core ready... Quad core if future proof

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.