2 cores or 4 cores

Discussion in 'polls' started by HURST, Apr 25, 2008.

?

dual or quad core?

1. Dual Core

89 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Quad Core

84 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Nice one!

2. Arup

Arup Guest

If you like multi tasking as well as some sort of obsolescence prevention to an extent, make it a quad core, after all CPUs started going multi cores instead of single cores and quads are an extension to that theory. I have two systems on quads, one Intel and one AMD. The system response during heavy tasks like encoding etc is just too good, lots of newer programs like Paint.Net, 7 Zip, WME9 etc. take full advantage of the quads and the results are just fantastic. In benchmarks done, the base model quad was shown to be beating or equalling the top model dual. The CPUs also benefit from the massive L2 cache. In the end, a quad core system with 4 GB RAM on an x64 OS feels far responsive than any dual cores I have owned.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I went from a single core AMD @ 2.2 GHz with 1 Gig of RAM to a Intel Q6600 quad @ 2.4GHz with 4 Gigs of RAM. I've OC'd it to 3.0GHz with a simple FSB change. I'm still running stock voltages and I'm lovin' this machine :D. That's A 25% OC basically for free (minus the heat and power). It does get warm and an aftermarket cooler is recommended but wow!

4. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I got my Quad on an impulse buy. Back in March I wasn't really looking into getting another desktop until later this year. But one day back then I went to NewEgg and saw this Acer Aspire desktop with a Q6600, 4 GB RAM, 750GB HDD with a ATI 2600HD 256MB for only $750.00. I just could not pass that one up :D

Since then the only upgrades has been to change the graphics card to an ATI 2600XT 512MB and installed HP x64 on it. I was coming from a Dell P4 3.0GHz 2.5GB RAM and man oh man is there a difference!

I won't say having a Quad is a necessity but if you can get it, go for it :)

5. progress

progress Guest

Dual Core :-*

6. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Amd Phenom II X4 940 BE + Noctua NH-C12P = massive speed & force with the help of some insane OC (stability? what's that?) :shifty:

/C.

7. Boost

Boost Registered Member

My next build will be quadcore,period.

8. Arup

Arup Guest

Good move, have been converting almost everyone I know into quad core and they all thank me for it.

9. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Since this older post gained new interest I`ll throw in my .02

Getting ready for a new build based on the Phenom II 940 x4.
    Replacing an Athlon 4200+ x2.

New case, mobo, memory, Raptors. no RAID:( May add it in later as I want true RAID 0 = a controller card = more $$.
    Reusing my OC`d 9600 GT.

Like a kid before Christmas waiting on the parts. :D

10. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Yes, I know exactly what you mean...:). I will get my parts on Friday (I hope), and assemble it during the weekend so it's ready for action when Empires Total War been released on Tuesday, so I don't have any spare time to post here for the next 6 months...:D

Btw, I changed my choice of cpu to a Phenom II X3 720 instead, better price - performance ratio than its bigger brother, but still an excellent OC alternative! I will try to reach 3.7 - 3.8 despite the fact that I'm not using AMD's own chipset (nvidia 8300).

/C.

11. ThunderZ

@ Cerxes. Let me know what you think about the tri-core when you get back from the Wars. :D

Mounting mine on a Gigabyte mobo w\AMD chips. May play with some OC`ing myself. Staying with a modified air cooled system though so I`ll have to tread lightly.

12. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I will indeed, even though I assume that I'm severely traumatised by the endless massacres :D.

Yes, you should OC since your 940 is a BE as well and therefore have an unlocked multiplier to play with.

/C.

13. ThunderZ

LOL

I have read they are getting a stable 3.8 to 3.9 on air with acceptable temperatures (40+ c) under load.
    This will be a good test for my building abilities.
    Starting with this case and a couple budget cooling mods.

14. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

15. boonie

boonie Registered Member

Finally going to quad with a i7 build, can't wait.

Love Noctua cooling. Picking up the NH-U12P SE1366 for the new build.

16. yashau

yashau Registered Member

After using a quads for a couple of years now using a duo just doesn't feel right anymore. Everything just seems so sluggish on a dual core. The premium price for the quads are well and beyond worth.

Currently running a Q9550 E0 Stepping @ 4Ghz ( 500x8 ) with Xigmatek HDT-S1283 air cooler

17. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Quad core for business apps because of multitasking. Dual core for most gaming rigs because of fast and cooler operation. Some of today's games gain a modest benefit from quad core but not many.

I did not vote because I have both and use them in different situations.

SourMilk out

18. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Wats this poll about?:rolleyes:Everyone will prefer quad core if they get it for free.

19. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

I've got a Laptop with... Intel Core 2 Duo :thumbd:
    And a Desktop with... Intel Core 2 Quad :thumb:

The Desktop always comes out the winner ;)

I agree with many of the other posters... Q6600 - Rocks! :cool:

PS.
    Both my Quad and Duo - Always use All of their Cores whatever they are doing.
    e.g.
    I've never seen my Quad Core using just one or even two of it's Cores.
    All of its four Cores seem to always share :D

20. Arup

Arup Guest

If you are in typical Windows environment that means there is OS overheads and Anti Virus and security apps to deal with, while gaming, a quad core will let you run your games and have enough CPU cycles left to devote to the overheads as well. The trend today is multi cores. I have been on multiple CPU machines since the days of Intel DX4 CPUs and have always felt that a slower clocked multi CPU macines would handsomely surpass higher clocked single core PCs.

About operating temps, thats a non issue as well, since there is less load on four cores, temps are fairly kept in control. The Q6600 is among the most overclock friendly CPU there and runs cool even when overclocked. Its also the best value quad core out there.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm a freak, I have a Triple Core here.... I don't know if that's good or bad or indifferent, but it's what I've got.... :)

22. Arup

Arup Guest

Still one more core over dual..........no harm, only better. ;)

23. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Well with a quad core you can push some of the calculations/work to one of the other processors, improving performance ... only when 2 cores are operating at 100% constantly.

24. progress

progress Guest

Is there any software which really uses all 4 cores? I still prefer 2 cores with a higher clock rate :doubt:

25. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

I think applications like SQL server and other high performance apps do, don't they?

Also by using affinity settings you van assign certain apps to certain cores.

However, although multi core is cool, people need to remember clock rate is important too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.