2 AV or more...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sir_carew, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sir_carew

sir_carew Guest

Hello, I've a question:
    I'm currently using KAV Pro 4.5 in a XP system with 120 ram (8 mb shared with the graphic card) and a AMD Duron with 1,1 Gbz.
    I like much KAV, but I want install several good av like as McAfee, NOD, etc.
    If I install for example KAV, McAfee, Norton, NOD, etc but ONLY I have the KAV in the memory (and all related services on), and all monitors and services of the others anti-viruses disabled, the system can perform an slow-down especially in the start-up?.
    Thanks.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

With KAV 4 on a XP System, before considering any other backup scanner your priority should be to install more memory.

At least 256MB is recommended for XP and more would be better.

You would then find that most programs /processes on your machine would speed up.

Alternatively, click on my computer>System Properties>Advanced>Performance>Visual effects then select 'adjust for best performance'

You could also try the BootVis tool;

http://www.winxpfix.com/Windows-Software-Page41.htm#bootvis

or simply try to unload unecessary programs loading on startup.

But I would definitely recommend more memory.

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To sir_carew from Firefighter!

I don't know about software you mentioned, but I really have plenty of security software installed on my PC. My system is WinXP Home, Celeron 1 GHZ, 512 MB RAM and so on.

I have KAV 4.5 as my resident AV, BitDefender Free 7.1, RAV 8.6 and DrWeb 4.30 as my backup AV:s plus TrojanHunter 3.6 Trial version as my AT.

The second leaque is Ad-Aware 6, SpyBot 1.2, SpywareGuard 2.2, SpyWareBlaster and MRU-Blaster.

All that time I do have Outpost Firewall Pro 2 playing on and RamBooster to fasten my PC.

When I am starting my PC, I could have a cup of coffee, it takes a lot of time. When my PC is running, there is no difficulties to surf in the web, I do have (A)DSL connection.

Still, when my kids were using the KaZaa network and everything like that, my last founding was "happy99", some "Trojan.FlashKiller", that none of them couldn't detect but TrojanHunter with full heuristics and all limitations off, and that was only suspicious by TH! I sent the file to Kaspersky lab, and they said that it was that "Trojan.FlashKiller"!

My conclusion, use KAV as your resident, but still you are not safe enough, you are never safe enough by using the web!

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

4. sir_carew

sir_carew Guest

Ok, thanks, can you send me bootvis? it's unavailable.
    Thanks a lot.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

This download link is working;

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.