2.50.9 beta - Comments and opinions

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by Marcos, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Re: NOD32 2.50.7 Beta - Comments & Opinions

Or you're me and you think trial versions of backup software lasts forever.

2. nameless

nameless Registered Member

No idea... Go to http://www.terabyteunlimited.com ... Doesn't get much cheaper or more reliable than that.

I decided that it's ridiculous for me to respond to anyone who PMs me, but not post it here. So, here it is. This is the registry key to delete to remove EMON from the NOD32 Control Center. If you can figure out what it is, then you should be smart enough to do it right.

Code:
     [I]~removed for further review....may or may not return....Bubba~[/I] 
    Edit: Oh give me a break. I explained the cautions. And I didn't invent
    registry editing. Any user could choose to randomly delete any part of his/her
    NOD32 installation anyway.

Code will not return over here - paul

I may also post it to other forums, blogs, and newsgroups.
    snipped; nothing of the kind over here - paul

Yes, it's better to have users try to figure it out on their own, rather than
    have a good, accurate answer. Funny how an entire thread dedicated to the
    malware-infested "googkle.com" web site didn't get hacked by the in-house
    censors. Yes, a ROT-13'd registry key is much more dangerous than that!
    (insert hysterical laughter here) Or, is it personal? Nah, couldn't be... No one
    here would ever be that petty. - nameless

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2005
  3. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

At the system I installed KAV 2006 it uses 6-10 MB RAM. (changes on demand..)

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

4. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

It's pre-alpha.
    stability issues.
    many features not working.
    right?

5. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Just i think that this threat is for nod32-beta comments and opinions and NOT to compare nod32 and other AV.
    thanks

btw the new beta runs perfect

cheers

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's stay on topic.

7. Emniman

Emniman Registered Member

Hmmm gonna try and explain my problem here - sry for my bad english.
    im running an Asus A8N Sli deluxe board with Nvidia 6.53 drivers or The Realtek drivers.

When first beta was out .2 i installed it and my sound chrashed. When i tried 2 open the mixer for the sound it said that it cant open that program b/c it had tried 2 open the runtime library in an unusuall way - then i got the advise 2 use Realtek sound driver insted so i did. i uninstalled the nforce sound drivers and installed realtek.Now it was saying that the mixer wasnt installed . hmmmm .I totally remove windows and reinstalled it from scratch.Right now i have only WinXP all updates - Realtek drivers and Nod32 installled.When i start my comp. and tries 2 access the mixer it says that the mixer isnt installed.I restart my comp. and now the mixer its working for 3-5 min. then it says my mixer isnt installed.I tried all the betas .2 .7 .9 - its the same with all of them.But when i go back to 2.12.3 everything works like a charm.So basicy the betas breaks my sound disregarding what sound driver i use (Nvidia or Realtek).How come?
    I really like Nod32 but with this i cant use it - well not the latest beta.Hope this will be fixed until final version.

-Mikey-

8. iNsuRRecTioN

lol, the versions working good, already..

And on the same system, KAV 5.x (Pro) uses 8-12 MB of RAM.

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

9. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

iNsuRRecTioN, are you able to read and to understand what ronjor said? :mad:

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

I'm not sure what your aiming for, Nameless. As ever, you're most welcome to post as everyone is over here. That said: in case you do have a problem with the way we do run this place, feel free to drop me an email - my addy is in my profile.

That said: we do set the rules over here as it is. No offense intended - but either play by the rules and staff actions, or hang your hat elsewhere.

regards,

paul

11. nameless

nameless Registered Member

You guys are a real trip. I won't bother to reply in full, but I will point out that as far as "rules" go, you and your illustrious mods make them up as you go along.

Case in point #1: I see potentially harmful content here all the time, and it gets the nod from all of you. (You can't claim that this content is simply overlooked, when one or more mods post in the threads I'm talking about.) Yet I ROT13 a simple registry key (and don't even give detailed instructions on how to access or remove it), and I get spanked.

Case in point #2: Your message above is in direct defiance to the "stay on topic" requests that precede it. What's more, I don't think I've ever seen a post that would have been more appropriate to send as a private message instead. The only possible reason you have for posting it here, instead of as a PM, is to chest-thump.

12. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

nameless,

You obviously didn't grasp the full meaning from my previous post. Furthermore, there's no fooling around with staff members over here.

As long as we feel fit, consider yourself being on Post Watch.

regards,

paul

13. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

Just a liiiiiittle little nitpick regarding grammar of all things :eek:

In the Quarantine, the header for the column telling the quantity of samples stored reads "Amount". "Amount" should be changed to "Number", as the number of samples can be counted.

In case I haven't explained it well, here's a little lesson :)

AMOUNT: I would like to know the amount of water in that glass. (NOT COUNTABLE)

NUMBER: I would like to know the number of glasses on the table. (COUNTABLE)

Hopefully, I haven't come off as condescending at all. It's just the little polish here and there that amounts to a truly superb product :D

Now if only Dr. Web would let me help them out with their english :D

EDIT: One last thing. Would it be at all possible for the items in the Quarantine to be flagged as submitted or not submitted? I realize submission can be observed in the Event Log, but it is far easier when trying to manage a large number of samples to see whether they have been sent in or not already. Especially because logs have a way of being automatically cleared at the most inopportune times :'(

14. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I wanted to ask did Nod team did something to the new .5 beta?

It seems to me that the GUI was slightly improved. It looks better. Although Some setting is still not logically explained. ( Again the imon and amon thing )

Or is it just my preception?

15. gearscout

gearscout Registered Member

It's grammar. If someone in a red car broke down, you wouldn't say, "I stopped to help them with their red."

Now, returning to the topic and this thread...

...when the new version comes out, will we have to UNinstall the BETA before we install the new program or will it automatically update if we have all our licenses in order?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  16. jim28277

jim28277 Registered Member

I have the latest commercial version installed. Can the new 2.50.7 beta be installed directly over the commercial version or do I need to uninstall first?

Will my existing pw work with the beta or do I need to use the temp PW supplied?

thanks Jim

17. CyberMew

CyberMew Registered Member

Jim, your existing passward/username will work with the beta.

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I have these problems with all the beta versions:

When I'm receving emails trhought Thunderbird, some time NOD32 didn't scan all the emails files and I can't receive that emails...

Other times, NOD32 started to scan the same files again as you can see on the image:
    http://img216.echo.cx/img216/1515/nod32emailbug4db.png

19. rothko

rothko Registered Member

:D Just noticed that the prompt for action screen during a Scan&Clean now comes to the front of all other open programs! Thanks guys! :D

20. gberns

gberns Registered Member

I know it's late in the game, but...

Ever since I installed the beta, if my system stays on long enough, and if I play the shareware game Snood enough times (I have the registered version), my system locks up. This did not happen with the earlier beta versions, only this last one. Actually its not actually a lock, it's a slowdown where what should take a fraction of a second to happen takes minutes.

I uninstalled the beta and did a clean reinstall in place of the installation over the top of the exesting nod32. Did not make much difference. Just made the problem take longer to show up. Had deep scanned my machine and checked for spyware, etc. Looks like I am clean and have no one else to blame.

Never happened with my regular version of NOD or with the first beta.

Gary

21. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Have you tried Excluding the game from AMON scanning it?

Cheers :D

22. gberns

gberns Registered Member

Have you tried Excluding the game from AMON scanning it?

Just did it. Will see if it helps. Had even downloaded a newer version of the game with no improvement. As I said, this only started with newest beta. Have had game for two years and NOD for fourteen months.

Gary

23. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

OK, can you also send an email to beta25@eset.sk with a link to this thread and include the post numbers.

Cheers :D

24. gberns

gberns Registered Member

Done as requested.

25. iNsuRRecTioN

What's new on 2.50.9 beta and there are still some things I missing ;-)

Hi there,

here are my Comments on the current NOD32 beta (2.50.9).

Currently there are some mistakes, misses and inaccessibilities:

-higher RAM usage/consumption as NOD32 v2.12.3 (i.e. now, you/Eset cannot say that NOD32 has low memory print or low memory usage
    anymore, for example KAV 5/6 have an better (intelligent) RAM usage/consumption control and have a lower memory print as NOD32..)
    (at AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM, Asus A7V133 with VIA-Chipset Motherboard, OS MS Windows 2000 Pro SP4, IE 6.0 SP1, Common Control Components: 5.81.4916)

-nod32kui.exe process start with about 1 MB RAM usage, after a while the process use more and more RAM and have after 5 hours or so a RAM consumption of 3-5 MB, although the ControlCenter do nothing, i.e. nod32kui.exe isn't in use, running only in the background and uses more and more memory..! I think its a memory leak..

-Standard "infected" folder isn't created within NOD32 setup (you have to manuelly create the folder!)

-NOD32 setup offers you to install Emon, althoug no MS Outlook is installed..!

-no ability/possibility to backup/export/save scheduler/planner settings/tasks! (for backup, new OS install, reinstall, etc..)

-no ability/possibility to test/check the "Notifications" settings in "NOD32 System Setup" (like SMTP or Messenger..), i.e. NOD32 offers no test/check button, that send a test message via SMTP or Messenger, so you can check whether the settings are correct and work or not..

-you cannot display and remove files that are in the queue, i.e. if you add a file to quarantine to submit a file for analyses and you had select a wrong file or you want to change or review/supplement the text/description/comment for this file, you have no chance/possibility to do that and Eset maybe attain/receive crap...

-the/an "help" button in IMON settings is still missing

-the extensions "JPEG" and "JPG" are still missing in the standard/default extension editor list!

-the "Optimize scanning" or caching feature isn't available for NOD32 On-Demand scanner.. (only for AMON (on-access scanner..))

-you have no possibility to clear or compact the "cache" that AMON create/use..

-you don't have the possibility to adjust the heuristic level anymore! Neither in AMON settings nor in NOD32 on-demand settings (i.e. low/fast, normal and deep/slow heuristic scan level..)

-if you going to delete something from the quarantine no question dialog/hint are displayed/shown by NOD32 that request an confirmation from the user and ask, whether the user really want to delete the selected file/entry..!

-the special announced update notification slider/information window is only a simple ballon tip, thats a bad joke..(Eset need such a huge time to integrate this ballon-tip (info) which replace the old, simple and annoying NOD32 update notification window!??)

-on IMON "Compatibility setup" settings you don't have the possibility to export/save the "Client compatibility" and "Server compatibility" settings/list! (for backup, new OS install, reinstall, etc..)

Suggestions:

-Please add a "Digital Signature" to the executables of NOD32 (and the setup file, too). So that the users can verify that the files are not corrupted/changed/manipulated and proof that they come from Eset! (Can be verified with the certificate..like it Skype and many other companies does..) (the Digital Signature/certificate can be found, if you right click on an file->choose properties->and in the properties appears a tab with the title "Digital Signature" or "Digital certificate", if there is any. And there you have the possibility to look at the signature/certificate and be able to verify that all is right/correct. :D
    And beginner/novice users/customers can trust them, that they really come from that company and aren't malicious or dangerous..!

-Please add the possibility to add an file to the exclusion list from the NOD32 AV System Warning Dialog/window (Virus alert)
    Maybe you can realize that with an new big button called "Ignore". So if the user choose "Ignore", NOD32 display an warning/question dialog and ask the user whether he really wants to add this file to the ignore list, and if the user choose yes, NOD32 ask the user for the NOD32 System Password, if there is any (set).
    Or at least, make it possible to copy the path/location to the file in the virus alert window, so you can simple add it manuell in ControlCenter to the exclusion list..

thx and best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.