2.50.9 beta - Comments and opinions

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by Marcos, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Re: NOD32 2.50.7 Beta - Comments & Opinions

Is it really a program error? I don't have it at all. And I presume that if more people would have this problem we would see it here. Or in an update from Esset... Maybe it is related to another problem in your pc's.

2. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Yes, it's a program error. You have to disable AMON, and then view the nod32kui.exe tooltip to see it.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Yes, that's a good reason not to install beta ;-) The thing is that the string needs to be shorten a bit. It will be ok in the final version.

4. phaedrus

phaedrus Registered Member

NOD appears to be auto updating (currently 20050426), but I have no (reasuring) pop up informing me of the updates?
    Apart from that all is running well here.

Trev.
    Firewall:
    LooknStop Firewall ... Sygate Personal Firewall (Free)
    Anti-trojan:
    TDS-3 ... Trojan Hunter ... A² (Personal & Free) ... BOClean
    Anti-Spyware:
    AdAware SE ... Spybot S&D 1.3 ... HijackThis! ... SpywareBlaster ... DialerWatcher
    Misc:
    System Safety Monitor ... Proxomitron ... Firefox ... SysMetrix ... Rainlender

5. nameless

I wasn't complaining, not at all. The only reason I installed the beta was to help test. That's why I've sent you 7,000 emails, too (and I think maybe 1 or 2 were actually helpful. :))

6. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

I just noticed that my drive has become fragmented rather quickly and PerfectDisk is running pretty slow since installing .7... anyone else?

7. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Hi Taz,

My PerfectDisk is running fine.
    No problem with it.

Is PerfectDisk better than Diskeeper ?

Best Regards,

DonKid.

8. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

OT... I prefer it... based on the tests I've seen, it seems to perform better than DK. I do like the automation with DK, but it seems to always kick in during a game.

NM though, I noticed someone other than me ticked the aggressive free space consolidation box in PD... so looks like we're good.

9. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Just curious if anyone from Eset has an ETA of this beta going final.

Thanks,

Jag :D

10. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

Hi there,

here are my Comments on the current NOD32 beta (2.50.7).

Currently there are some mistakes, misses and inaccessibilities:

-higher RAM usage/consumption as NOD32 v2.12.3 (i.e. now, you/Eset cannot say that NOD32 has low memory print or low memory usage
    anymore, for example KAV 5/6 have an better (intelligent) RAM usage/consumption control and have a lower memory print as NOD32..) (at Windows 2000 Pro SP4, 512 MB RAM, IE 6 SP1, AMD Athlon 1,4 GHz

-Standard "infected" folder isn't created within NOD32 setup (you have to manuelly create the folder!)

-NOD32 setup offers you to install Emon, althoug no MS Outlook is installed..!

-no ability/possibility to backup/export scheduler/planner settings/tasks!

-no ability/possibility to test/check the "Notifications" settings in "NOD32 System Setup" (like SMTP or Messenger..), i.e. NOD32 offers no test/check button, that send a test message via SMTP or Messenger, so you can check whether the settings are correct and work or not..

-you cannot display and remove files that are in the queue, i.e. if you add a file to quarantine to submit a file for analyses and you had select a wrong file or you want to change or review/supplement the text/description/comment for this file, you have no chance/possibility to do that and Eset maybe attain/receive crap...

-the/an "help" button in IMON settings is still missing

-the extensions "JPEG" and "JPG" are still missing in the standard/default extension editor list!

-the "Optimize scanning" or caching feature isn't available for NOD32 On-Demand scanner.. (only for AMON (on-access scanner..))

-you have no possibility to clear or compact the "cache" that AMON create/use..

-you don't have the possibility to adjust the heuristic level anymore! Neither in AMON settings nor in NOD32 on-demand settings (i.e. low/fast, normal and deep/slow heuristic scan level..)

-if you going to delete something from the quarantine no question dialog/hint are displayed/shown by NOD32 that request an confirmation from the user and ask, whether the user really want to delete the selected file/entry..!

-the special announced update notification slider/information window is only a simple ballon tip, thats a bad joke..(Eset need such a huge time to integrate this ballon-tip (info) which replace the old, simple and annoying NOD32 update notification window!??)

Suggestions:

-Please add a "Digital Signature" to the executables of NOD32 (and the setup file, too). So that the users can verify that the files are not corrupted/changed/manipulated and proof that they come from Eset! (Can be verified with the certificate..like it Skype and many other companies does..) (the Digital Signature/certificate can be found, if you right click on an file->choose properties->and in the properties appears a tab with the title "Digital Signature" or "Digital certificate", if there is any. And there you have the possibility to look at the signature/certificate and be able to verify that all is right/correct. :D

-Please add the possibility to add an file to the exclusion list from the NOD32 AV System Warning Dialog/window (Virus alert)
    Maybe you can realize that with an new big button called "Ignore". So if the user choose "Ignore", NOD32 display an warning/question dialog and ask the user whether he really wants to add this file to the ignore list, and if the user choose yes, NOD32 ask the user for the NOD32 System Password, if there is any (set).
    Or at least, make it possible to copy the path/location to the file in the virus alert window, so you can simple add it manuell in ControlCenter to the exclusion list..

thx and best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

11. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

uses 16 MB here mate. No noticable drag/hit.

12. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Yes but how does that compare to KAV as he mentioned? I am just curious as one of the reasons I switched to NOD was for its low memory usage.

13. no13

Kav used to be >30 megs. Sorry. that was 6 months back, and there weren't any tweaks back then. 15 days trialled, dumped.

14. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

I am not overly concerned with RAM usage but overall CPU usage.

I still find that the NOD32 beta (2.50.7) runs great on a gaming machine here with no noticeable impact while gaming. Of course each platform is a bit unique and others may have different experience depending upon their setup.

15. aarcokk

aarcokk Guest

IMON by PCInternet pstrol off!!!!!

16. rabmail

rabmail Registered Member

KAV 5.0.200 idles at around 10,000 to 12,500k on my machine.

I have 5 machines running NOD and 5 machines runnng KAV. I dont think there is much difference now in resource usage but I still prefer NOD for AV. KAV still leads in overall detection but NOD is catching up fast.

Dick

17. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

After a couple years of happy Dr Web use I decided to give this new Beta a try. So far I give it a big thumbs up. The Doctor has been good to me but their seeming lack of interest in bringing Spider netting up to speed with the newest windows platforms and lack of a real accessable forum has been a bit bothersome. Nod seems every bit as light on my computer and the heuristics seem almost second to none. Blackspears advanced settings helped get me going and top it off with 4 updates in 24 hours...impressive... :D

18. no13

I do a lotta surfin' and games and listening to music ... which means at least moderate load on PC when it's turned on [I repare for college tests if the volume is >60%, so... uhh... you know]

19. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Version 2.50.9 Beta available. :D

20. nameless

I see the 2.50.9 beta--even when installed automatically--insists on installing and enabling EMON. I'm glad I know how to get rid of it.

21. no13

1. do a custom "expert install".. then you can do as you please.
    2. Otherwise, fire up the NOD32 interface and click on "emon" on the left panel, and remove the tickmark from the checkboc on the right.

22. rothko

rothko Registered Member

the thing is, on the current release it didnt add EMON at all if you werent using outlook - the beta doesnt seem to recognise this and installs it regardless. Maybe this will change when it goes to full release.

23. nameless

Nope. I have installed NOD32 many times, and I've never chosen anything but the custom install option. You can't prevent EMON from being installed. And what I found is that if you remove it completely, then let NOD32 automatically update your program files, it not only reinstalls EMON, it enables it afterward.

I don't want anything to do with EMON... Don't even want to see it. Maybe I'm weird (OK, I am weird...), so I'll just get rid of it the old-fashioned way. :) (I won't say how here, but a PM can work wonders...)

24. no13

weird suggestion coming
    1. disable it
    2. delete emon.dll
    3. create new-> text file -> rename -> emon.dll
    4. Set the new 0 byte sized 'emon.dll' as read only, and if you know of a way, as system file [i can't]

If something goes wrong, i'll be somewhere in the alps, fishing for birds of paradise ;)

25. nameless

Not good, because EMON would still be available in the NOD32 Control Center. I like to remove it from the Control Center, and you do that with a simple registry change. I don't want to say what to do here, because it's not something that people should do lightly. (After getting it out of Control Center, I do go ahead and remove all the *emon*.dll files.)

To please the sky-is-falling worry-warts: Don't try this at home, kids. Yes, we're crazy. This is insanity. Stop the madness!

But seriously, it's not a good idea to screw with your NOD32 install like this unless you know what you are doing, or are adventurous. Or something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.