1TB external slow on Overloaded partition

Discussion in 'hardware' started by cortez, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cortez

cortez Registered Member

Heads-up!

I just got a 1 tera-byte Hitachi external drive and it was very slow-- it took 15 min. to copy 557megs!! It would also hang up when copying.

Before returning it I decided to install a new XP with very little on it (drivers, FF, Avira AV, CCleaner, Foxit reader) and it copied the same 557megs in just 2min. and 35 seconds!!

So now I know that it is not the external drive that is defective but rather I have overloaded my OS's too much.

I will now keep a clean partition to transfer my data from my data partition to the external drive. I like to do these tasks manually. :thumb: :thumb:

Attached Files:

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Wow, that's a lot of partitions/disks. I only have 3 partitions for system, data, and backup.

How overloaded was your OS? (like amount of free space)

3. cortez

cortez Registered Member

The free space was plenty, but I had 62 applications of all sorts which obviously clogged the partition's arteries. Most of the apps are utilities which I like to play around with --a bad habit.

It could be that messing around with the registry (another bad habit) was the real culprit.

Attached Files:

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

test it with HDDScan -http://hddscan.com/

if the new version give you some error , i can upload the previous version

cheers

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

is there a limit of partition that xp can handle?

6. cortez

cortez Registered Member

In my case I think that the Hitachi external drive was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I also have a 40 gig Western Digital external and it works very fast on this partition with no hang ups or trouble copying at all. But once I turn on the 1 TB Hitachi external on, the partition is useless and hangs on any copy procedure.

If I am using Firefox with the 1 TB external on, but not being used I can browse with no problem.

This is why I think there is some corruption in the registry as the CPU usage shown in the Task Manager is only around 20%.

So I think that XP can handle a WHOLE LOT if it is not corrupted somehow.

A better title to the post would be "1 TB external slow on corrupted partition" , as it works great on a new install of XP.

EDIT: I checked out the hard drive with Western Digital Diagnostics and it is A-OK.

EDIT 4-2 2011 I: switched to my 80 gig Western digital drive (I alternate between the 200 gig and the 80 gig each week). The older partitions (3 1/2 years old) would not boot up unless I shut off the 1Terabyte external drive. SO I installed a new XP Pro and it handles both the 1 TB external and the 40 gig external with full functionality between them and the new XP. Copying, ect. are fast and smooth with no hang ups at all.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  7. ragnarok2012

ragnarok2012 Registered Member

Could it be that we are forced to Windows "7" !!! OOH NO!!

If you shut off your external hard drives until XP boots along with any Anti-virus, and of course Sandbox IE,-- Only then, could you then turn on your external drives, or thumb drives, then your precious XP will probably work fine on these new gadgets. Of course you will need SP3 to get to these higher volume drives to work correctly. XP is still viable if you know the intricate needs of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.