180 days free-BitDefender Products

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Perman, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

What about BD + Outpost Fwl?

Actually I'using BD+ZAPro and they works fine. I would like to change fwl 'cause OutPost settings are much more useful.

Thanks in advance.
    Mike

2. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Does the license countdown start when you use it in the program, or does it start right away when you get the mail?

Oh, and thanks for the link!

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I decided to try again with another email address. I had used dslreports and never got it (get tons of spam in that one though). So, I used one of my ISP addresses and got it in 2-3 seconds.

It will be interesting to see if I can use the full version now as ver 9 (Pro) was great. But 9.5 was a disaster with constant BSOD's on boot caused by BD drivers. It's late so I probably won't install it until tomorrow night or Saturday since I may have a mess when I do.

The free version demanded that I uninstall Spybot before I installed it. I can't uninstall Spybot and can't use it either. I tried everything to uninstall it but can't and I didn't like the latest version so I don't mind that I can't use it, but I hope BD full version will coexist with it as long as I am not using it. I noticed BD did not demand that I remove Spyware Blaster when I installed the free version. That is an improvement because with 9.5 they demanded removal of Spyware Blaster also although it had nothing to do with the BSODs.

It will also be interesting to see if the full version messes with hardware DEP.

4. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

The usual BD licence start when you enter it in the program.

5. kinwolf

BD always ask that you remove those additional apps, but from experience, as long as you do not use the on-access(shield) component, they can co-exist without problem. I have used BD 2008 with SD and SAS free with zero problem.

When I get a bug, tech support always ask me to remove those but when I mention I only use them as on demand they stop asking and get to the real problem ;)

Currently, the only bug I have with BD is a display bug with the GUI(might or might not happen for everyone) but they are working on a fix.

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The free version wants to run mini scans for no reason. I disabled automatic update because if you use that it runs a miniscan 24 times a day! That's crazy. But even with automatic update disabled, I left the computer for an hour or so, just came back to a popup from ProcessGuard asking what to do about BD wanting to run a miniscan. I noticed too that it tried to run a miniscan when I installed it! I seldom run full scans and I don't want to run even mini scans. I see no reason to run a scan unless I think I might have gotten an infection which I have not in 8 years.

As for Spybot and Spyware Blaster, even with crystal clear evidence that I was experiencing BSOD's on boot due to BD drivers, support blamed it on Spybot and Spyware Blaster. That is why I left BD in 2006. It is 2 years later and I hope they are a bit more enlightened about the difference between having Spybot on your computer for an on demand scan only and running TeaTimer in real time. As for Spyware Blaster, Javacool was so puzzled when I told him what BD said about SpywareBlaster somehow causing the BSOD's that were clearly labeled by Windows are coming from BD. I really liked BD 9, so I hope everything will be alright when I install the full version of 10. Surely, there will be a way to disable miniscans.

7. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Look PM :thumb:

8. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Does this happened to everyone.I can't test now i'm at work.Is it 6 months for all the products ,or just for the anti virus??

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Most people think that Apple should use Windows' own font smoothing engine. To each his/her own :)

10. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

It's showing 90 days here to. The email says 180 days, but the program says 90 days.

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

So Internet Security is 90 days?

What about the av only and Total Security?

12. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I installed the antivirus. So the antivirus has 90 days. I don't know about Internet Security and Total Security.

13. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

I installed the antivirus also and it say 90 days

14. kinwolf

Indeed, I tried BDAV with a key given by the webpage and it said 90 days.

15. acr1965

OK, so to update-

av- 90 days
    internet security- 90 days

what about total security?

16. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Av 90days here too

17. acr1965

Looks like BD Total Security has a universal key for this trial period. I am assuming the other BD trial products do as well.

18. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

AV trial license can be used w/ multilingual releases.

Is your OEM version like mine?

Mike

19. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Has anyone checked out how BitDefender has done in the AV Comparative tests? I believe Avast and AVG AM scored higher in both the On Demand and Retrospective tests than BD did. I'm not knocking BD and perhaps the 2008 version is improved, but I wonder what advantage it would be to use it instead of Avast Home or AVG Pro which I am currently using. Also does anyone know for sure if the license for Bitdefender Antivirus 2008 is for 6 months or 3? Thanks.

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's stick to BitDefender in this thread.

21. kinwolf

In addition to the usual signature scanner and heuristics, Bitdefender has a behavior engine which is very good imho. As for the retrospective test, please remember that BD got knocked down to Standard because it got false positives but it's % was pretty good. So far it seems the license is good for 90 days "only".

But if you are happy with another AV, don't change, BD isn't the new sliced bread, it's just another good AV out there :)

22. acr1965

I think that is what the bullguard suite has so it would seem to be compatible. But IIRC then again ZA Pro is somehow incompatible with KAV but ZA has them together in their suite.

23. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Right click scan does not work on BD 10 free version. It also doesn't uninstall very well. So, I don't think I will try the full version. BD8 free was excellent. BD9 Pro was great too. But after that when they added antispyware with 9.5, I think BD started downhill at that time.

24. osip

osip Registered Member

@mele20: in 2008 v:s 11 right click works perfectly...You´re talking about old versions,newer are available and clearly underestimated, I decided to go for IS 2008 permanently...and then I compare it with ESS&KIS...all talks about unpleasant GUI I find ridicoleus...Pretty good to me...( the 90 days came in handy for my trial).

25. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I have a problem with the real-time protection. It turns itself off, and when I'm click "fix", nothing happens. Is this a common problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.