14.04 wireless MAC change "broken"?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Palancar, May 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Trying to find out if anyone else here has run into this. Just put 14.04 bare metal on a machine. OS is fully updated. I pulled up my wireless connection and opened the edit tab. In the tab there is the usual place for changing the MAC addy on the NIC. I entered a different MAC (tried several in fact) and when I do it breaks the wireless connection upon restart. I have logged into my router several times to double check and only the original MAC is still being used.

Anyone else seeing thiso_O

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Kind of surprised that nobody else has run into this. At least no responses.

Anyway, I'll save you some time. I found an ongoing thread on Ubuntu forums where there is a bug with changing a MAC on a wireless NIC connection in 14.04. It sure seems that for an LTS release 14.04 has quite a few "wrinkles".

There is a way to get the MAC changed for a "session" but when you restart you have to keep repeating the process. Hopefully an update will come down soon with the fix. Lots of folks have reported it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.