13 Reasons why Linux won’t make it to a desktop near you.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dogbiscuit, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't think marketing is really the main issue with Linux. To me the main obstacle for Linux becoming mainstream is that is simply must be usable by the average user out of the box in all respects, just like Win. When it does that, then it will grow faster. The only distro I've seen that does this already is PCLOS. Most of the others take some tweaking, which any average user won't tolerate.

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

That, I think, is another reason Linux hasn't gotten further into the mainstream. A lot of people have heard about linux, but go to many linux forums and begin asking questions. You get hit with some pretty stupid replies that turn potential users off. The hard core linux crowd just doesn't seem to want ease of use, or an OS that works first time right out of the box without tinkering.

I think they'd prefer linux stay a small, fringe operating system. From what I've seen lately, it isn't happening. PCLinux, Ubuntu, apparently Wolvix, and others are equal to or almost equal to Windows functionality without touching that dreaded command line. I had to, to get my printer to work with Ubuntu 7.04, but it was a simple copy and paste a command (thank God), to install hplip.

3. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Re: 13 Reasons why Linux won’t make it to a desktop near you.

I tried Linux last year. I did not get much good luck on Suse, Fodera, and Debian. I used both DOS and UNIX for several years, and I can program well with C/C++. Still, Linux is out of my reach. I spent weeks just trying to find drivers for modem, wireless, graphic card, and so on. I was so tired after one or two weeks of searching and tweaking. At the end, I had to drop Linux. If I were still at my undergraduate study and had a lot of spare time and energy, perhaps I would fall in love with Linux. Well, Linux may have been improved dramatically recently. I just no longer have the guts to try it again.

Another reason that I do not want to try Linux again is that, it is unfortunately true that 'free' is in general not as good as 'paid'. I have used some quite decent freeware. But they tend to have more bugs than paid software. The worse is that you quite often can not get a solution to your problems, as no one is really responsible for doing that.

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'll agree to a some degree. There is no set formula in regards the various linux distros. I've had good luck on This computer with most, although printing did require only a small amount of work on my part, once I ditched my ego and asked for help.

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi yahoo,
    Did you try WUBI yet? It allows you to install Linux within Windows (can also uninstall it through Windows) and creates a dual boot Windows/Linux setup without the partition pain of doing it manually.

It still has issues with older Intel graphics cards and strangely enough, LiteOnIt CD-R drives, but it is an interesting compromise that can give the Windows dependent an opportunity to learn and use Linux...

http://wubi-installer.org/

Just a thought...
    Mike

6. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Thats me out then on both counts :D

7. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Re: 13 Reasons why Linux won’t make it to a desktop near you.

Mike, thanks for the suggestion.

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I think there's nothing wrong with the writing. It's a perspective. One that he explains, from the standpoint of a person wanting to market this great product and discovers it's not a product like the rest.
    Much of what he learned does not apply. I get his point.
    How long ago did you try Debian? Debian's new installer is better. And once you figure it out, it is not hard.
    It does take time to find the precise information you're looking for. In general, i think this is the most obvious experience for newcomers. Not lack of information, but that little specific thing you can't find. Turns out the manual says it all, and the Wiki.

I think the more one rushes, the more unlucky one gets. When i started reading more general Debian manuals, i found answers to previous unlucky searches. And it made me look stupid :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.