"1234" and Birthdays Are the Most Common PINs

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Schneier on Security

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Solution: tell no one your birthday.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Use someone elses birthday, e.g., your grandfather.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

That's what I do. Not a relative though.

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I did it the "easy" (ha!) way, just memorized the bank-assigned PIN. Having accomplished that, I could then use the same PIN on other things, like my Bell phone card.

(Edit) Totally off-topic, triggered by my mention of Bell, and my apologies for this ... I can remember when Bell only charged for 411 (later, 555-1212) calls in cases where you were obviously too lazy to look it up yourself, i.e., you were presumed to have the appropriate local phone directory at hand. It was waived for long-distance inquiries, or for requests from within a hospital or hotel or from a pay phone, under the reasonable assumption that you did not necessarily have access to such a directory. While my public library does have a surprising collection of out-of-town directories, it's nowhere near complete, plus many of them are badly out of date.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  6. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

NOOOOOOO!!!!

It's better practice to have all unique passwords/PINs. Think of it this way- if someone gets one PIN, they may as well try it out on all your other accounts. If they're unique only one account gets hosed.

But yes I'm human, I'm a bit of a hypocrite on this- I've recycled a few creds. *GASP*

And regarding the OT, I just google everything anymore. I threw out the hard copy directories years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.