100% Clean ?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by davidleu, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidleu

davidleu Registered Member

Hello everybody. I have a quick question about Blackspear's GENERAL Virus and Trojan removal Instructions

I have done all the steps of this guide and i didnt get any malware alerts. Now does it mean I can be 100% sure my system is clean (resp. 99.9% since 100% is nearly impossible) ?

2. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I would say no, because only with NOD32 or each other single AV programm you won't even find not 90% of the malware (adware, trojans, keyloggers, virus, tracing cookies, etc.) which is flying arround.

The best chance to be clean and stay this way is a fresh OS-Install, than a apropiate Antivirus, Anti Malware and Firewall. This way you are clean from the beginning, but won't garantize that you stay clean forever. But there will only be a small chance that you will be infected.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Short answer yes.

Longer answer would be that if I accomplished all 23 steps....I would feel all warm and fuzzy :D

Was there a reason you decided to run thru that procedure ? Also....did you feel as confident after you ran thru that procedure as you did before you ran thru that procedure ?

4. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

You can't be serious?
    He is talking about malware in general (so i understand his question, i could be wrong), not about virusinfection in particular.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

All due respect Tommy....but if I wasn't serious with a serious question I would not have answered.

If you are assuming by my answer that I would feel 100% sure then you are sadly mistaken. Nothing is 100% sure but as I stated...."if I accomplished all 23 steps....I would feel all warm and fuzzy" and if I did not feel warm and fuzzy about that procedure I would be suggesting some additions to that cleaning procedure. You stated an opinion as well as I did. If you choose not to agree that is your choice but let's do respect personal opinions Please.

Regards,
    Bubba

6. davidleu

Thank you very much for your opinions and advices, Bubba and Tommy!

No. I was bored and wanted to do a routine check.

7. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Bubba, i didn't want to offend you in no way. If you feel so, i apologize and of cource i respect your and everybody else opinions. Sorry.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are very Welcome davidleu and Welcome to Wilders :thumb:
    No problem Tommy and that's one of the only things I ask around here is that We all attempt to respect each others opinions. A "You can't be serious?" does have it's connotations ;)

If I may I will also ask this question and it is for no one in particular. It concerns the Clean-up procedure....

There are at least 4 anti-malware programs that are mentioned in that procedure....TrojanHunter, Ewido, Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware . If We were to not remove any of those programs as steps....what other programs would it take for some to feel all warm and fuzzy ??

For those wishing to respond....let's Please keep it on topic and try not to turn this into a contest or a mine is better than yours type request.

Thanks,
    Bubba

9. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

If we could rename the Tutorial into ' GENERAL Virus, Trojan and Malware removal Instructions'...
    ...I think mentioning a 'Rootkit Detector' would be a nice idea, so they became more and more dangerous. It would complete the good tutorial. Asking which in spezial, i would mention various classyfide for beginners and advanced user. There could be IceSword, RKU, Sysinternals Detector for advanced users. For beginners for example Sophos Rootkit and Blacklight.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

How many softwares where needed after following all steps ? You may keep the total price for yourself.

11. davidleu

8 programs + 1 plugin

- Grisoft AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition (Freeware)
    - Option Explicit Winsock XP Fix (Freeware)
    - Sygate Personal Firewall (Freeware)
    - McAfee AVERT Stinger (Freeware)
    - Mischel TrojanHunter (Trial run / Fully functional)
    - PepiMK Spybot Search and Destroy (Freeware)
    - Lavasoft Ad-Aware + VX2 Cleaner (Freeware)
    - Trend Micro CWShredder (Freeware)

Price $0.00 :thumb:

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'd like to add to the above, to further get that 99,9% 'sure' feeling that virtualization or sandboxing and/or HIPS might prevent 0 day virus infections. If you add a back up image at an early stage, I really think one might even talk of 100% security.

13. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Some vendors are now selling PCs with a lot of nearly worthless software already installed, some of it does qualify as adware. It's entirely possible to buy a PC from a vendor that's not clean when you get it. Makes it hard for an early backup to guarantee a clean system unless you wipe the drive and install from an actual windows disk. The only way to truly be sure is to start with that disk and another one that contains all the patches, updates, and additional software you'll be using and install everything offline, then back up the system before it ever sees the net.
    Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.