100,000 MACs replacing PCs at IBM

Discussion in 'hardware' started by emmjay, Oct 22, 2016.

1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Bold move ...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/mac-...ore-expensive-than-macs-ibm-says-509518.shtml

"The migration started in 2015 and more than 90,000 Macs have already been deployed."

No Windows 10 for IBM and it was the employees who made the decision. As they started in 2015, it took them less than a year to get all their Enterprise apps working on the MAC. That is going to get the attention of a lot of Microsoft Enterprise Clients.

2. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Oh my lord, I dislike Microsoft, now I feel kinda sorry there. Oh well, it seems solidly justified. This will be a trend, you think? Very interesting article, thank you.

Might Lenovo eventually facilitate installation of Apple OS right onto the hard drive, you think? I'd like that. :)

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

This is a bad decision IMHO. I do not feel Apple are designed with enterprise customers in mind. Apple do not even have a server OS anymore or server hardware to manage the clients.
    I doubt even running the MacOS server app on the most powerful mac would be powerful enough to maintain that many Macs. I very much doubt apple will produce server hardware again just because IBM have switched to Mac.

I like some of the changes Microsoft are making to windows server but have some issues with the way Microsoft are going with windows 10.

Apple always seem to ditch things when they feel like it such as ditching support for an older operating system versions when they release a new one which may cause IBM to change their mind.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  4. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

One thing to consider is there is only a handful of computers which apple needs to support for OSX and MacOS. Windows on the other hand can work on more than thousands of different hardware combinations which is bound to cause more issues.

6. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

100,000 MACs replacing PCs at IBM. :D :thumb: What goes around, Comes around. Keep pushing your updates / upgrades on people that don't want them. This is just the beginning.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@ProTruckDriver Apple is automatically downloading and prompting installation of MacOS sierra so apple are just as bad as Microsoft in that regard

8. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I believe IBM is in the server business and has been there for a very long time. They should have no problem managing their business environment.

9. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

I don't have Sierra on my computer, they asked I said No. No more nags or slick updates (Like Microsoft done) to slip Sierra on the computer. I will upgrade to Sierra later when a few bugs are cleaned up.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I am very surprised that IBM went for the apple route. According to the article they already have some computers running Linux so I would think it would make more sense to deploy more Linux especially if they have already ported the applications to that OS

11. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

IBM has been running Linux in-house since 1999. However, it is not their business platform.

12. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I think some of you may be reading this article incorrectly. IBM isn't mandating a switch of the employee's desktop system, nor does the article state that IBM is replacing all Windows back office servers (Active Directory, file servers, print servers, Exchange servers, etc). IBM is only giving their employee's the choice of desktop or laptop system. I wish my employer gave me the same choice. If it is the employee making the choice, and IBM is saying that their experience is that they actually end up saving money by allowing the choice, then how is it a bad thing? (Other than if you are viewing this as a Microsoft employee / shareholder.)

I also believe that Cisco is another major company that allows it's employees the choice of an Apple Mac. At least in my experience, many of the Cisco engineers I have run into are sporting MacBook Pros. I guess it didn't get as much attention as this IBM article, but I just did a Google search and found this InfoWorld article from 2013 in regards to Cisco. This Cisco article also goes in a bit more detail on the specifics of how Apple Macs OS X (now simply macOS) has become more enterprise IT friendly over the years, and also that...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.