10 reasons to buy XP Pro

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by controler, Oct 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. controler

controler Guest

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/top10.asp

I like the one about wireless encryption technology.
    the right click file encryption is kinda cool to ey?

Does Linux have this? :D

even though they use the long method to do an windows explore the quick one is right click on start menu and select explore.
    Here is a screen shot of the check box to dissable index.dat access for a certian folder

Attached Files:

2. bubs

bubs Registered Member

Its certainly a huge advance on win98!

As a win2k user, your link is a fine example of the M$ mktg dept's snake oil peddling tendencies - Many (but not all) of the features listed can be found in win2k.

As to file encryption, I'd recommend PGP or GPG any day :)

3. root

root Registered Member

1.Easily get the latest security updates for Windows

M$ should concentrate on eliminating the need for constant updates and fixes.

2.Protect your PC from hackers

I prefer a real firewall, thank you.

3.Keep your private data private

PGP will do it better

4.Securely share your PC with others

I should buy and OS for Fast user switchingo_O

5.Securely share an Internet connection

2k does this quite well.

6.Maintain your privacy on the Web

Start by using a secure browser like Opera.

7.Control your children’s access to Internet content

There is no replacing direct parental involvement in what their kids do on the net.

8.Enjoy secure wireless networking

Sorry, not interested.

9.Keep personal files and data safe

I prefer disk imaging. M$ wants all your files on the net eventually. Really safe. He he.

10.Easily return your PC to a working state

I have a small program called Winrescue that takes up very little space. Does the job nicely.

M$ did a pretty good job with Win2k, much to their dismay. They really want people moving towards the dot net scheme. As best as I can understand, XP is the beginning of a plan that literally forces people to start renting programs from M$ over the internet. They want everyone to use Passport for all online shopping.
    Once M$ gets your personal information and you credit card number in its Passport account, it is going to be sooo easy to rent or buy whatever.
    This has all become low key lately since M$ realised the initial reaction to their plan was something less than wonderful. We'll see soon enough, I guess, what Bills next move is going to be.
    I will not criticise other people choosing whatever they choose.
    I will just say for me personally, I want nothing to do with XP and anything that comes after it, if it takes control of how I compute away from me.

4. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Amen.

(Had to giggle when I thought about giving M$ my encryption tasks. PUH-LEASE! ).

5. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

6. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

1 reason not to lol picture windows xp like a spaghitie straner with all the holes and thats what you got a sinking ship lol

7. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

11. The main reason. I like to struggle against what M$ is up to :D

Know thy opponent.

Regards,

Pieter

8. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Well, I run xp home and I'm happy with its stability. I've gotten rid of their media program, disabled Windows automatic update and the Windows Messenger. I don't use msn messenger or any of the others.

With the above and Sygate firewall and Kaspersky antivirus, I feel reasonably comfortable. As far as ever upgrading from xp, NO. When this computer goes to that great computer heaven, I'm taking my trade to Apple.

I don't know that Macs are any more secure than M$, but at least they aren't trying to take over my online life -- yet, anyway. If that day should come, I go to linux, or back to my old Royal typewriter. At least it's secure.

9. root

root Registered Member

Pieter, isn't win2k enough of a challenge? I've had it for two years and I'm still working on getting it to behave.
    Chuck, thats another good point. You have to try to tear stuff out by the roots in XP. Stuff you should have a choice as to installing it or not. That was always my biggest gripe about XP. Bill took away every choice and made it very difficult to uninstall parts to be replaced by the competitions programs.
    M$ can't make a better program, so they hardwire their version into the OS.
    BAH!

10. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Oh, Gawd! (politically/religously correct spelling),

Wireless networking is the worst thing to come down the pike in years when it comes to security and privacy.

Microsoft encryption? No thanks. There are too many good third-party programs to trust Microsoft encryption.

root -- that was an awesome post. EXCELLENT!

All points of view without attacking anyone personally. That's the way it should be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to be able to express it freely.

John
    Luv2bSecure

11. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Wireless networking is the worst thing to come down the pike in years when it comes to security and privacy.

Nevertheless it is not going to go away ;)

Wireless Security Lessons To Learn
    By Sharon Gaudin

The world of wireless communications has much it can learn from the mistakes long made in the wired world, according to the information security administrator for the International Finance Corp. and a wireless security author.

Tara Swaminatha, a top security administrator for the IFC, a part of the World Bank Group, has just released her first book, "Wireless Security and Privacy: Best Practices and Design Techniques." Working with co-author Charles Elden, Swaminatha takes a look at the risks and threats that come with the ease and mobility of wireless communications. And she tries to offer security and network administrators some guidance in taming those risks.

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/secu/article/0,,11953_1486381,00.html

12. controler

controler Guest

yada yada yada I have run Win 2k and it doesn't even come close to XP

I didn't say anything about adding third party software now did I?
    I asked, what other OS offer the same features WITHOUT third party software.
    I will be here when Linux starts getting hacked much more and then I want to see words eaten LOL

Havin fun yet?

13. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Hi Controler,

I think that's the point. Most would rather run a Microsoft OS that doesn't come with encryption software and add their own because of Microsoft's history of not always being on the up and up. The idea of letting Microsoft provide your encryption strikes some as awfulllllly trusting.

Too much is already in the operating system anyway. Remember, that's what got Microsoft in deep legal problems in the first place. Does XP provide a pop-up stopper? Does XP provide a complete internet usage erasing program? Does XP provide a way to backup your email? Of course not, but I bet you have something that accomplishes these tasks -- third-party programs! And many think: As it should be.

Many, (including me) believe an OS should be an OS - not a moviemaker, a jukebox, a cd-burner, a browser, an email client....etc. etc. But to trust Microsoft with your encryption? Of all things, I think many give a big "no thanks" to that one. And the Microsoft WinXP firewall? Quoting Fred Langa, "What a joke." My guess is that's not your firewall of choice. Then again, maybe it is - and I suppose if you're comfortable with it - great!

So, all people see things differently - and that's okay. If you want to trust Microsoft with your encryption - go for it! Firewall? Go for it! Just remember, some of us think differently - and that should be okay.

Take care,

John
    Luv2bSecure

14. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

If you like XP you'll love palladium and the DRMOS (you might also get a real kick out of intel's new lagrande "security features" coming in the prescott cpu.)

All good boys and girls ;) this is the first time I can remember where OLD tech will be valuble because the new stuff is sooo intrusive.

I can't possible imagine using an os that would actively kill any program that wasn't approved by microsoft during playback of an mp3 or dvd.

15. Pieter_Arntz

To be honest, root, I liked win2k too much, which got me nervous. Afraid of relaxing to much and thus giving the baddies an opprtunity. Maybe I like an OS that keeps you on your toes. :D
    I still use Win2k on the same computer as a dual boot for two reasons:
    1. My version of Win2k is in English (since all my books and most websites about Windows are as well, this obviously helps)
    2. Every bit of information I don't want spread across the w3 is on this NTFS partition. Only two websites can be accessed from there: my banks ;)

Regards,

Pieter

16. Pieter_Arntz

17. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

now that is some scary stuff!

18. controler

controler Guest

Ok I was teasing LOL You guys know I am a software junkie and have
    all kinds of security software running. I have this addiction to never keep things the same. I always have to change things :D
    My real point of this thread would be this, I really love Xp's stability
    and I have to give MS credit for at least attempting to provide a friewall and encryption. They use some third part software such as Diskeeper Lite. Even if I had a OS that did everything I wanted it to do perfectly without flaw, I would still change it.

That's just me , controler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.