Some questions for upgrading to Acronis TI 9.0

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MartinH, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartinH

MartinH Registered Member

Hello,

I am a user of TI 8.0 and I have some questions:

1. When I go to the shop and select upgrade, there is a feature named "Extended Download Service". It means that I can download my software for a period of 2 years after purchase.
    With TI 8.0 I can download the latest build everytime without any period.
    Is it different with TI 9.0 o_Oo_O Or is this feature just unnecessary for buying TI9.0 ?

2. Is it possible to buy an upgrade that is shipped including a manual or is it just possible to buy only the key and download the software?

3. When will German version of TI 9.0 be released?

Thanks for answers,
    Martin H.

2. MartinH

Doesn't anybody know what this "Extended Download Service" mean?
    I already can download my software TI 8.0 without this Service (The German shop doesn't provide this anyway)

Please help because it is important for my decision to buy or not to buy TI 9

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Martin,

Well, to me "Extended Download Service" means that, in case of loss or corruption of the original software, you can re-download the original installation file during the agreed period.

Regards

4. MartinH

But there is everytime the latest build ready to download under "Product Updates".
    Why does anybody need a "Extended download service" o_Oo_O

If I want to install the software, I can just take the latest build and start the file. Even if there is no newer build than the first build I can download the software from the "Product Updates" site.

That makes no sense for me o_O

5. MartinH

But I haven't any period or period-expansion buyed with my TI8.0 and I can download the install file.
    The purchase-date was January 2005

6. MartinH

Sorry for triple-post, but could Acronis Support answer my questions?

Thanks

7. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Extended download service is a "service" from the webshop who handles transactions for Acronis.
    You can allways download the latest version form Acronis.

Please click on the link on the purchase page for extra information about extended download service :)

8. Vasquez

Vasquez Guest

Am I the only one that finds the concept of the 'extended download service' rather ironic, given the nature of the software it's being offered on :)

9. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

MartinH:

I certainly second what SSk said. Just so you know, I think many agree IT MAKES NO SENSE, you're not missing anything and are perfectly justified in asking.

DigitalRiver is offering a (in my opinion) superfluous service here -- probably just because their marketing template, whatever form it takes, is either unsophisticated enough or deceptive enough -- who knows which !, that it doesn't account for the fact (in obvious ways) that you can always download the latest and greatest version from Acronis.

Maybe someone would get value from that service....certainly not I. ;)

10. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Nope ! But I guess you DO type faster than me ! :D

11. MartinH

Oh, I think Acronis should do something against this.
    I am thinking about hundreds of people who thinks this service is necessary and waste their money for it.
    :rolleyes:

12. Greyhair

Greyhair Registered Member

You're right that the extended download service is a pointless expenditure. You can save the downloaded installation file on a CD, on several CDs, on another computer, etc., depending on how obsessed you are.

13. Vasquez

Vasquez Guest

In all fairness to Acronis, I think this is out of their hands as it's part of the Digital River service.

14. herojig

herojig Registered Member

Seems to me that it would not be difficult for Acronis to 1) request Digital River remove that item from the menu and 2) Acronis maintain downloads of ALL releases for registered users on their servers.

Having said that, Digital River is working for Acronis, making things easier for them, not us. So #2 above would be a pain in the butt for Acronis; perhaps #1 is a pain in the butt as well...

The bottom line is that Digital River makes things easier for the software provider, and is in business to make money from users. So this is what we get. :eek:

15. MartinH

I have some more questions:

1. Does True Image 9 have an explorer for the Secure Zone like it was promised a few months ago?
    (In an earlier thread of me (when TI 8 was pretty new) Acronis Support told me that the next version of TI will include such an explorer, so that one could delete or copy an image out of the Secure Zone.)

2. I read some things about a "Snap Restore". Is it correct, that I can restore my WinXP-Partition and can work while it is restored??
    (I can't believe that this is possible :eek: )

16. MartinH

*push*

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

As Menorcaman and SSK mentioned above, Extended Download Service allows you to have the download link available after the first download of the program for a longer period of time and even if it expires you can re-request it and it will be made available again. It is provided by Digital River as an additional service\option and as Vasquez has said it is "out of our hands".

Everyone is free to decide whether he\she needs to purchase this service or not.

If you are registered user of Acronis software, you are always able to download the latest build of the program from the Product Updates section of your account on our web-site. Nothing has changed. Just the same situation with Acronis True Image 9.0.

By the way, the next build of Acronis True Image 9.0 will be available in a few days.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

18. Acronis Support

Hello MartinH,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

1. I'm afraid that the ability to copy images from\to Acronis Secure Zone has not been implemented in Acronis True Image 9.0. However, it will most likely be available in the future versions of a particular software, but exact time frame for this is not decided yet.

2. Yes, this feature is implemented in Acronis True Image 9.0. More information can be found in section 1.5 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

19. MartinH

Thank you for the answer.

Will this explorer be free for users of True Image 9 like a plug-in?

If I install the trial of TI9 does it update the existing TI8 Secure Zone with the Recovery Manager?
    If it is so, can I access the updated Secure Zone with my TI8 Rescue Disc to restore an image that was made when TI9 wasn't installed?
    (For the case that TI9 doesn't work well on my PC)

20. MartinH

*push*

21. MartinH

In addition to the questions 2 posts over me, I have the following one:

If I upgrade to TI9 from TI8, am I allowed to go on using TI8 on another PC ?

22. Acronis Support

Hello MartinH,

Regarding your questions:

This feature would be available (when implemented) for everyone who uses Acronis True Image 9.0 without any additional costs.

When you install the 9.0 version over the 8.0 all you need to do is to reactivate the Recovery Manager. The Secure Zone won't be rewritten. However you will need to create a new Bootable CD with the 9.0 version in order to successfully access to the secure zone.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

23. Acronis Support

Hello MartinH,

Please note that due to our End-User License agreement you are unallowed to use your 8.0 version on another computer since you have purchased an upgrade but not a standalone 9.0 version of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

24. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Yes, it protects only those who are unfortunate enough to have ALL copies of their backups destroued.

But one myst remember, that a backup copy of the installation software has to be kept on media other than via the TI backup, otherwise, if you lose the TI images, you cannot get at the backup copy, so I guess that's what the "insurance" is really buying.

One could always save te software on CD/DVD , as many copies as one feels is necessary, and avoid paying th "insurance".

Also, many folkes would be upgrading to a new version within two years anyway.

I expect that the "insurance" is rarely worth getting, but, if you are affected, that's a cheap price to pay to save your behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.