Spyware test at WCL

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IBK, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IBK

IBK AV Expert

I saw that now there are 4 products listed as having reached the WCL Spyware Checkmark(http://www.westcoastlabs.org/cm-av-list.asp?Cat_ID=8): TrendMicro, Sophos, ESET and Kaspersky. I find it a bit strange, because IMO the spyware detection rate of e.g. ESET, TrendMicro and Sophos is not really good (just my opinion). Maybe it is because they consider as Spyware things like Trojans, Cookies and Keyloggers. Other strange thing is that the test-set for spyware testing is based mostly on the spyware test-sets received from the tested companies, so maybe those that get tested earlier reach the Spyware certification easier as those which get tested later o_O
    "Developers agree to provide copies of their collections of Trojans, cookies and keyloggers to WCL."
    Maybe that's why companies like those companies (which I think some do not have a really high spyware detection rate) were able to get the spyware checkmark. other thing to consider is maybe that WCL tests are very expensive (I suppose), and maybe not every company is able to participate due that.
    This is just my opinion, i can be wrong. maybe just a terminology problem on what they consider spyware. but without more details i can not know it and i get to this conclusions. If someone knows more, let me know.
    P.S.: I like the WCL tests, as they are useful and a standard certification, I only want to share my opinions with you, I am not saying that WCL is bad or something like that. They do very comprehensive testing and perform high-standard testings

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Thanks for the link IBK, makes for interesting reading.

TAS :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.