Problem

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by abesimpson, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abesimpson

abesimpson Registered Member

I have been trying to install ALL the items in the 05/07/03 database. All items checked, install is apparently completed (items go black). When I restart the computer a large number of items show as unchecked and red.

I am also running Spybot S&D with the Spybot hosts files installed. Could this be the problem?

Suggestions please

2. Metallica

Metallica Guest

Could you check if it are the cookies that show up in red after clicking Protect against checked items.
    And please tell us what version of IE you are using. If the answer to the first part is yes, the answer to the second one will probably not be IE6.
    The thing is that the protection of SpywareBlaster against tracking cookies only works for IE 6.

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Also, please say the version of Windows, as well. There is a bug regarding how many items can be protected on Windows 95, I believe. (Hmm, or maybe that's only a display problem. I'm not sure at this point.)

4. abesimpson

WinXP
    IE 6 (with all updates installed)
    It IS the cookies that are showing up in red.

I have this same problem on 2 machines, connected to the same network.

Hmmmm.

Thanks

abe

5. LowWaterMark

Well, that is strange. :doubt:

I guess we'll need to see what Javacool says about this one. All I could possibly guess is that there is some issue with how the specific entries for blocking the cookies are being set in the registry.

The cookie blocks are the same as what you'd manually set in IE > Tools > Internet Options... > Privacy tab > using the "Edit..." button at the bottom of that page, and then adding sites and pressing the Block button. These entries are stored in this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ P3P \ History \ <site name>

Perhaps you can check and see what's there, if anything?

Edit: Also, another thought. These are stored by user on the system, not globally across all users, that's why the registry key is under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER section. I'm wondering if it might also have something to do with how the users are set up on your system. Though I'm unsure what it might be.

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

It sounds as if the cookie protection is simply not compatible with your system for some reason (a third party program could be the culprit).

If you simply check "Do not show spyware/tracking cookies on the protection list" in the "Settings" area of SpywareBlaster, you won't have these items displayed in the Protection area of the program, but you'll still get the great protection against ActiveX spyware. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. abesimpson

Well here's the oddity...

Even though Spyware Blaster indicate that the cookie list has yet to be installed, it appears that all of the cookies are in fact listed in IE's ...Tools/Privacy... list.

Thanks to all for speedy replies.

abe

8. javacool

Hmm. Well that would indicate SpywareBlaster can properly write to the HKCU key... but if it couldn't write to the HKLM key in the registry, the spyware protection would also be showing as red.

Do you use any type of cookie-blocking software, or anything at all that you believe could possible interfere? (such as registry monitoring or protection software?)

Best regards,

-Javacool

9. javacool

There shouldn't be a problem with displaying or protecting against ActiveX spyware items on Windows 95. But because IE 6 is not available for Windows 95, cookie protection will not work on that OS.

Best regards,

-Javacool

10. LowWaterMark

Ah, that's what it was! Thanks. :cool:

11. abesimpson

I am running CookiePal, and SpyBot S&D.

Hope this helps identify the source of the problem.

abe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.