Worm spells double trouble for PCs

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

FSecure: "Lebreat" Worm {+ variants}

Reference:
    http://www.datafellows.com/v-descs/lebreat.shtml

NAME: Lebreat
    ALIAS: Breatle, W32/Lebreat@mm, W32/Reatle@MM

Summary

W32/Lebreat.A@mm is a mass-mailer and a network worm. It was found on July 15th, 2005. Shortly after the initial version, there appeared 2 more variants. The worm also has a backdoor, a trojan downloader and DoS (Denial of Service) attack capabilities.

VARIANT:W32/Lebreat.A@mm
    VARIANT: W32/Lebreat.B@mm
    VARIANT: W32/Lebreat.C@mm

Detailed Description
    See above link for tech details.

3. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Re: FSecure: "Lebreat" Worm {+ variants}

Symantec: W32.Reatle@mm

W32.Reatle@mm is a mass-mailing worm that opens a back door and attempts to propagate by exploiting the Microsoft Windows Local Security Authority Service Remote Buffer Overflow (as described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011) on TCP port 445.

Variants:
    W32.Reatle.C@mm

4. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Oleg do you speak with knowledge or just a selfrighteous idea that since others bad mouth Symantec that you ought to join the band wagon. I have been browsing around several other forums and norton products are pretty well thought of. Although I really love this forum and am proud to be associated with it I am a bit ashamed at the way some members bash all things Symantec. Norton antivirus has proven it self for years to be a very capable product, well able to hold it's own against any other av around. I have tried about every av available and I intentionally use Norton antivirus simply because it works and works smoothly without slowing my comp. down at all. It updates usually twice a day along with the norton firewall. I have never been infected while running norton antivirus.

bigc

6. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hi bigc,

I agree that NAV as an AV holds it's own and then some against others - its the peripheral baggage that give some fits - case in point is LU.

For the record, I run NAV2005 on one of my XP installations and run NOD on the other. I immediately out of the box disbaled LU and Worm Protection trying to get back to running the 1st class AV that it is.

Regards - Charles

7. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

Well Norton products take up lots of RAM and NAV does not detect trojans as good as any other AV.

8. bigc73542

You might need to do a little research on the trojan detection. At av-comparatives norton recieved a 95.69% overall detection where as nod got a 94.96%

9. bigc73542

I know some people do have some problems with nortons updater. But I have never had a problem with it. Lucky I guess ;)

10. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

Well I did a test my self and NAV come out short on 32 trojans or more I wonder why :eek:

11. bigc73542

This is probably why (Well I did a test my self)

12. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

This should proof it ;)

13. bigc73542

any forum is going to have it's pro's and con's on all sorts of things. read this forum and the reviews norton gets, completely different than CC here

14. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

It's becouse people do not want to try out new things.

15. bigc73542

o_O o_O o_O

16. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

Some people will stick to one software product and never bother changing for the better,becouse it works fine for tham.

17. bigc73542

I can understand that. If I have something that is working well for me whether it be an automobile or an av program,I won't change it. except for av programs to test and then remove and go back to the one I was useing originally. No need to change if it is working well. ;)

18. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

you will not know If your system cut a trojan everything may work fine,but slow so why care as long as PC works :p

19. bigc73542

I guarantee if my comp gets a trojan I will know it. I am not a newbie at this, I had my own computer repair and custom build comp shop for almost thirteen years. If I tell you something about an av or other program it is not what I may have heard on the net or through gossip. It will be through my experience with that particular program working with them for years. My expertise is in antivirus programs, I probably change av's at least four times a week trying different ones out and seeing what their weak points are. Regardless of what you hear or read posted on forums, from years of personal experience I know that norton antivirus is as good as any antivirus program available. I really believe that the reason norton gets bashed so much as it does is the same reason that Microsoft gets bashed. It is the most popular one available. And as such it makes a good target for the discontented uninformed self appointed bashers of programs just because they are the largest company and the most used in the world. Well it is a shame that there are people that get their jollies off doing the bashing because all it does is reveal how unknowledgeable they really are. Well enough of the rant. You can continue the thread if you like but I am through with it.

20. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

I would take Kaspersky or mcafee over Norton anytime :)

21. bigc73542

that is your right to choose any av you want. Kav and McAfee are both good choices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.