Possible Spywareblaster\Cookie Pal conflict

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by HelpFromFrance, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Re: Spywareblaster 3.4 won't enable IE protection for 187 items

I have the same problem, but am using "Cookie Pal", is this causing the problem, if so what can be done?

Thanks,

2. Re: Spywareblaster 3.4 won't enable IE protection for 187 items

No Problem I found your explanation in another thread. I understand and maybe it will work out.

Thanks,
    HelpFromFrance

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Re: Spywareblaster 3.4 won't enable IE protection for 187 items

Hopefully it will....if not....feel free to start a thread....and we'll attempt to help further.

4. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

Re: Spywareblaster 3.4 won't enable IE protection for 187 items

Bubba,

I was just thinking, is it possible to export a text copy of the url's for the cookies so that they can be added to CookiePal? That way they would be protected in the 2 ways. I hate to get rid of CookiePal and I really want the protection of SpyWareBlaster.

Thanks for your help & input on this,
    HelpFromFrance

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey HelpFromFrance,

I have split off your posts and mine into a thread of it's own in order to offer you better assistance.

I'm not quite following what you are proposing in regards to "export a text copy of the url's for the cookies". Would you Please explain that a little further.

BTW....Welcome as a new member to the Wilders Forums [​IMG]

6. HelpFromFrance

Bubba,

CookiePal lets us enter url's from which we want to refuse cookies. If there was a way to enter those without having to do it 1 at a time, it could help. I don't know if having them entered in CookiePal would help or not. I have written CookiePal to ask about the situation. It is definetly CookiePal that is doing it, because I can make sure it it not running and SpyWareBlaster has the cookies included. If I run CookiePal, then it shows the cookies in SpyWareBlaster and disabled.

Hope this is a little clearer, have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Very much so....even tho I was probably the only dense one not understanding it :eek:

It's been a while since I installed Cookie Pal when assisting the last time so I can't say at the moment how feasable your idea might be. I'll install it later and attempt to see how your idea might work :doubt:

8. HelpFromFrance

Bubba,

Thanks so much, this is really kind of you to go to all this trouble for someone you don't know. I am really impressed :D

Have a great day,
    HelpFromFrance

P.S. I will keep you posted as to what CookiePal says when they write back. They have always been good about writing back.

9. HelpFromFrance

Bubba,

If this conflict continues, is there a way to refuse ALL cookies. I do not let them onto my computer. It I can't surf a site because of cookies, I don't go there. I know this may sound a little drastic, but that way I don't have to worry about which one's are good & which one's are bad. If there is a way to do this I may get rid of cookiepal. I use IE6 and do not want to go to Firefox.

Thanks again for all your help,
    HelpFromFrance

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Since you are an IE user....go to Tools\Internet Options\Privacy tab....in the Settings area....check mark 1st\3rd party cookies to Block and un-check Always allow session cookies. I personally have never looked at this as a drastic measure and simply utilize IE's Trusted Zone where applicable....among it's many other capable features in order to feel warm and fuzzy.

11. HelpFromFrance

Bubba,

Again, thank you for your help. I like feeling "warm & fuzzy" too :cool: . My Dad, who was a really smart man, always told me "better to be safe than sorry". :D I will wait to hear from you and CookiePal before making the move, but looks like that is what I am going to do.

Thanks & have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

12. HelpFromFrance

Bubba,

Have not heard anything from CookiePal, that is really odd, because they normally answer right away. I don't know what the reason. Have just heard from them while I was writing this post and they said there is no way to import the sites into their filter. He was not sure what I meant about the cookies that were being blocked by SpyWareBlaster being disabled so I had to try and explain that so I am waiting for another answer, will keep you posted.

Is there another cookie manager, that would not conflict with SpyWareBlaster, that you could suggest if I get rid of cookiepal? The only thing I have against doing it through IE6 is that if I need or want to accept cookies just for a certain site sometimes and not all the time, it gets a little complicated. At least with cookiepal I could move the filter back a forth from "reject" to "accept" with just a click.

Thanks for all your help,
    HelpFromFrance

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

HelpFromFrance

I use Cookie Pal also. Since I use Firefox, most of the time it just sits there. However, there are some programs such as Weatherpulse that use IE to render images and Cookie Pal will intercept those cookies.
    If using IE, I would try Bubba's suggestion and see how you like it.

Attached Files:

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Having now re-installed Cookie Pal....I'm afraid my suggestion will not work unless I can get Cookie Pal to quit changing my settings :doubt:

If I have IE set as I suggested earlier....check mark 1st\3rd party cookies to Block and un-check Always allow session cookies....and then open Cookie Pal....it changes my IE Privacy\Cookie settings to what ronjor is showing in his pic.

HelpFromFrance....since Spywareblaster does not update that often....I suggest you consider simply exiting out of Cookie Pal via it's systray icon....enable the Spywareblaster settings you desire....then re-open CookiePal. You can then have your cookies and eat them also.

15. HelpFromFrance

Bubba,

Thanks for trying. Sounds like you have done all that can be done. Now if I can just ask one more question. If we do as you suggested above, once we have enabled the updates from SpyWareBlaster, then go back into cookiepal the changes in SpyWareBlaster are still effective in spite of it saying the cookies are disabled? Sorry about this, but I guess I am a little thick today. :p

I love you idea of having my cookies and eating them too!!! :D Thanks for the humor, you made me laugh today!! :D

Have a great day & thanks,
    HelpFromFrance

16. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I've used Cookie Pal since long before I discovered Javacool's goodies, and about the only relatively minor thing about it is that it starts out with a "blank slate" with regard to always-permit/always-block cookie sources.

With regard to the problems with SpywareBlaster, it would appear to be one more case of the general behavior of SB. Way back when, Javacool (or maybe one of the senior mods here) implied that when there's a conflict in settings between SB and another security program, SB will quite often "defer" to the other program.

17. HelpFromFrance

MikeBcda,

That is the main reason I don't want to give it up, I have spent YEARS building the filter database and don't want to start over with something else. However, I do want protected from the threats that are in SpyWareBlaster. I guess I want my cookies and to eat them at the same time, while not having to worry about "rotten cookies". I am really difficult :doubt: . Oh well, maybe it will all work out. If SpyWareBlaster is protecting from the cookies even if it says they are disabled then good.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hmmm....let's back up a bit on that. If you are seeing items un-checked in Spywarebalster....that means they are not being blocked....speaking of IE only :doubt:

If you disable Cookie Pal as mentioned earlier....and enable items in Spywareblaster....they should remain disabled. You are still seeing opposite of that ?

Also....it appears to me that Cookie Pal takes action before Spywareblaster....meaning....if you have a site blocked via Spywareblaster or IE for that matter and the site URL is not in Cookie Pal's filter....Cookie Pal will ask before Spywareblaster has a chance to speak it's mind. Of course....after a certain age in my mind it don't matter.

If I had to make a suggestion....given that you stated IE is your browser of choice....I would suggest you dump CookiePal....use Spywareblaster and add IE-Spyad as another layer of protection for IE....but that's just me and something that should be discussed in another thread in another Forum....our Privacy software forum for example.

19. HelpFromFrance

Bubba,

I guess I don't know how to make myself clear, very sorry about that. :( What happens is this:

1. CookiePal is running
    2. I open SpyWareBlaster -- it says in the status window that IE is protected & that "209 items have been disabled".
    3. I click on the 209 items have been disabled and it takes me to the customize block list, where "prevent ad/tracking cookies" is checked.
    4. If I go to the bottom of the list where the cookies are listed, they are not checked.
    5. I can uncheck the recheck the "prevent ad/tracking cookies" and the status shows "0 items disabled" even with CookiePal running.
    6. I can close then reopen SpyWareBlaster and it shows "0 items disabled", CookiePal is still running.
    7. If I look in IE options under sites that are refused (cookies) it seems all the sites from SpyWareBlaster are there, I did not check each one. I have never added anything to this list.

So I am wondering if they are really disabled if they are showing up in the "refuse" list of IE6.

On another note, I have not heard back from CookiePal after I tried to clear up the confusion they had.

I will look at the option you offered and see what I think. Thank you for taking so much time to help someone you don't even know. ;) You are a prince among men or a princess among women (if you are a lady). ;)

Thanks again & have a nice day,
    HelpFromFrance

20. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are doing very well whether you are "a prince among men or a princess among women (if you are a lady)." :D
    They say the first thing to go is the memory....and appologize for not remembering sooner that we had a thread about this not so long ago that finally came to me when you said 209 items. Please take a look at the below thread starting with post # 3 and ask away any questions if that doesn't clear up some of this for you :doubt:

This thread---> Spywareblaster and Cookie Pal

21. HelpFromFrance

Bubba,

Opps, am I embarassed :doubt: . I thought I searched all through and did not find anything, obviously, I did not! I am so sorry for wasting your precious time. You are a kind person to have taken all this time and not "flammed" me for not having searched enough. I will try to do better in the future. :p

If & when I hear something from CookiePal I will let you know.

Thanks again & have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

22. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Flamming is something you want see much of at Wilders....and if you do....it don't take much to put it out :ninja: :eek:

Please do keep us informed.

You are Welcome....and have a nice weekend :cool:

23. HelpFromFrance

QUOTE=Bubba] Please do keep us informed.[/QUOTE]

Bubba,

Got an answer back from CookiePal, doesn't seem like there is much hope of seeing a "fix" or cooperation from their part. Here is what they said:

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. When you run Cookie Pal, it replaces the blocked web sites in Internet Explorer with the list of web sites that are in the filter lists in Cookie Pal. When Cookie Pal closes down, it restores them to the set of sites that were there when Cookie Pal was last started. I am not familiar with Spyware Blaster, but it sounds like it is doing a similar thing, and so the two programs are conflicting with each trying to put their own lists of filters in the IE settings.

You can prevent Cookie Pal from doing this by unchecking the "Use IE6 internal filters" option on the Configure tab in Cookie Pal. However, by doing this, it can cause some web pages to hang in IE6, so you might want to try that to see if you can still browse the web sites you want successfully. Otherwise, I'm not sure there is anything that can be done to make the two programs cooperate.

Regards,

Adam Scott
    Kookaburra Software

As you can see they see the problem, but don't offer a solution, that is a shame. So according to them we are not protected from the threats that you include in SpyWareBlaster until we exit CookiePal.

I think I have found a "workaround" though I am not sure. Once CookiePal is running I open SpyWareBlaster of course it says "209 items disabled". I click to enable those and it seems as long as I don't close down cookiepal at that point I am protected by both until I either shut down cookiepal or the restart the computer. This "workaround" means that each time we start the computer or cookiepal we have to recheck the items in SpyWareBlaster not a very good solution, :( so I may be trying what you said.

Well, again thanks for all of your help & have a great day,
    HelpFromFrance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.