How do I configure IE and Firefox security on all profiles?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Close_Hauled, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

How do I configure IE and Firefox security on all profiles? I need to set the security settings and homepages on all of the profiles of a group of computers. What tools are there out there?

2. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

3. Close_Hauled

Thanks, but this does not help. I already know how to do what you recommended. I am talking about modifying all of the user profiles on the system while logged in as the administrator.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That's from your other closed thread which is pertinent info in regards to what you are attempting to do.

With Win2000 you can use the Internet Explorer Group Policy that let's you make changes to a Security Zone that will apply to all users of that computer(Local Machine). As for making the Home Page and other general settings the same....I'm not sure yet how you could push that to all the users of a PC unless you build a reg file that makes the changes and then use Group Policy User Configuration to disable certain settings such as Home page from being changed.

Attached Files:

5. Close_Hauled

It would have to be a monolithic reg file, with all of the users IDs.

I need to be able to update their zone settings, update their restricted and trusted site lists. I don't want to remove changes that they've made, unless they're unsecure. Some users have their own trusted sites, and I don't want to trash that.

Our company uses SMS to do this. We do not have SMS because we are small, remote, and not attached to the company network. SMS would be nice, but it is an expensive option in our case.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'm definetly a little confused. How can you expect to standardize....but let the users keep settings. I'm sure it will become clearer....but with your description it appears you want the cake and eat it also :doubt:

7. Close_Hauled

My company uses SMS to do what you are talking about. The problem is that they overwrite trusted sites that the user adds. Users generally add their bank for instance. I do not want to whipe out there bank as a trusted site.

We force all of our users to add sites to the trusted sites list if they want to download from that site. If they have a long list of sites, then when I update, I will whipe out their sites. I just want to append to that list.

I also want to make sure that the zone setting meet the minimum baseline security setting. The Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer is the tool that I use to measure that. If the zone settings are too low, I want to bump them up.

Also, lets not forget about Firefox and Adblock. I have the same issue with them. I just spent the last couple of months developing a filter for Adbloc, and I would like to distribute it to all users.

I never believed that this would be so difficult. When I first asked the question, I believed that there was a utility out there that did what I was asking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.