Very impressed with VBA32.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SDS909, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I've been a pretty devoted NOD32 fan. Before that I was a MKS/Arca advocate, but left them due to the added firewall/bloat, poor interface and design, and slow threat response. Also it was light, but I wanted lighter.

I went to Dr.Web, they've been great. However they have been very slow in responding to threats lately, and sometimes my emails and submissions get totally ignored. (as seen recently in another thread). Also Dr.Web seems slow about progress, new versions, and improvements. But it was light, and reasonably powerful, so I stuck with it.

I recently tried VBA32 because of their new Dr.Web-like setting for checking only new/changed files. I have to say it is every bit as light, possibly lighter than Dr.Web, yet my tests are showing it has better detections than Dr.Web. I've noticed updates over the weekend, and a consistant stream of steady updates (which I didn't notice with Dr.Web).

Lookin' good, I think i'll be switching to VBA32 if no issues crop up over the next few weeks.

2. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

Coudnt agree more! :D Im beta testing vba32 and also very satisfied. Well about the detection capability they are still working in their database and it seems they already have acomplished a great job. Some no scientific test show they´ve got a powerful database already -for instance firefighter test- and the most respetable test (av-comparatives, in my opinion) has shown they do pretty well also. But surely they´ll improve this matter particulary when their updates system works sensational and is not noticeable at all...i think about 8 kbs. But what is more important to me is the great stability my pc has after installing this belorussian av -i had nod32 before-, and taking in account that is a beta product...Not laggs, no slow booting...everything lighty as a leaf. ;) Maybe the sounds they used are quite old fashioned...but oh well i love retro art. Also very configurable, clean and easy interface...outstanding support...what else can you ask for :D Great job guys!

:D

3. rothko

rothko Registered Member

hi SDS909, can i ask why you are not staying with NOD32?

thanks, lee

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Yes, support is very good so far and it's RTM is very light. BUT.

I would like to see it's detection rate on a variety of sites before judging it's abilities against Dr Web.

Let's see how it's entry into the English market proceeds. For example, MKS/ArcaVir started off very well but appears to have lost it's way recently!

Overall, with time it may very well prove to be a strong competitor to Dr Web and other AV's.

5. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I agree with Blackcat, I jumped on the MKS/ArcVir bandwagon early because of good detection rates and support forum. Then it started becoming an all-in-one and the forum disappeared. I then switched to DrWeb on my main comp.
    I am currently running VBA32 on another comp and am impressed, but this time I will wait and watch the development of it.
    I think you are better off sticking with established AV's.
    No AV vendor is going to satisfy you 100% of the time in detection, suspicious file submittal or support, I have learned they all have their quirks in the way they handle things.
    You may want to proceed with caution SDS909.

6. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I jumped on with MKS/Arcavir shortly after Kobra discovered it and indeed it was a very impressive product. But like you, I disliked their direction. Also the company they chose to handle it in the US (Stormbyte) was a pretty bad choice. Once they added a pretty lame Firewall, and weak IDS, and went to that horrible red interface I started to reconsider. Then when they missed several threats in a row, I dumped them.

Dr.Web has been great, however the update system is poor, and the "Quiet" update mode doesn't work for beans. I don't like the extra processes that run with as well. Lately i've been horrified with their lack of response to some threats i've submitted, and in general some of the things they've missed i've actually come in contact with. Also they seem incredibly slow making changes to their product.

I've watched VBA32 for months and months, and when I tried it back in April I was mildly impressed. I tried it again last week and was excessively impressed. Like today for example, it is early, but they've already added around 400 threats. Since April they'ved added around 30,000 I believe. Pretty impressive.

Also, I just love how it is light as a leaf on my systems. I refuse to use bloated av's... Should they decide to add a firewall and other crap to it, I will discontinue use.

Now my next battle is to convince my fellow friends at Star-Force to ABANDON the Firewall they are going to implement in Safe'N'Sec, I really really do not want SNS to become bloated.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I agree, particularly if it is a very primitive IDS system as in KAV 5.

If they do go ahead with the firewall, let's hope it is an optional install and not in the default settings. Or at least they carry on producing several versions of SNS, but the basic one staying as it is (firewall and antivirus free!!!).

8. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

VBA32 is new to me - is it freeware, beta, or what?

Would you please provide more info on this AV?

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

In all the threads I have previously read about DrWeb, this is the first where I've seen a comment that DRW doesn't update sigs often enough. If true I must reconsider my options. By the way, I wonder why a thread praising a particular AV seems always to end up by knocking its competitors?

I would suppose that a newer AV would add sigs a bit faster in order to *catch up*with a well-established AV such as DRW. In any event, I myself get a very "consistent stream" of updates from DrWeb -- multiple times daily, 7 days a week. Looking back a bit, DRW's cumulative sig additions, listed by week-ending dates, were: 7-3 652, 6-26 749, 6-19 591, 6-12 833, 6-5 630, 5-29 793, 5-15 435, 5-8 775, 5-1 1011.

Of course, I am unqualified to discuss how DrWeb counts sigs compared with VBA32 or any other AV. In any event, I hope other DrW users will reassure me that I am still well-protected.

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

You can download the trial version (uses a trial key)which is restricted or download the beta key which then makes evrything functional.
    beta key
    http://www.anti-virus.by/en/beta.html
    vba32 downlaod
    http://www.anti-virus.by/en/downloads.html

Ive tried many avs including nod ,avg,avast,antivir,rising,arcavir,and dr web.All had some quirk or other with my system (9:cool:Dr web for instance wont allow me to send attachments or large files by mail with my router.Dr web support was very good however after a few weeks attempts to get it working i just gave up.Suprising of all i m now using kav personal and (with the high speed setting)my machine has no slowdown to speak and its easily as light as dr web or nod on my machine.I only tried vba32 for an hour or two this afternoon and it seems nice.Though i would say on the default settings it didnt warn of any trojan downloaders ist bar at some warez sites which kav and nod does using imon and script monitoring for kav.
    ellison

11. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Not to worry bell, I have not used the DR as long as you but feel very well protected by it. And the updates may not be hourly but they are often.

12. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I agree Dr.Web is good. The problem is, I keep running into Malware out in the wild that it doesn't grab. That, combined with other issues (as i've already noted), have me scanning for a replacement.

SO far VBA32 seems most excellent.

13. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I have had a similar experience using Vba32 Personal beta.
    It's been an impressive,stable program.
    No glitches with the program or support so far..
    I really like the way the program is configurable and easy on resources.
    The price is competitive also.

14. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

As I have stated many times I really like this also, BUT i have found it tends to be a little rough around the edges on Trojan/Backdoor detection, from my evaluations. Other than that, no quips. Detections are sky-rocketing . :)

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Don't mean to hijack the thread. But I've been considering this program. How do you know this. Please consider posting an answer on this thread.https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=87315

16. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

After reading through this thread and having current problems with Avast, I thought I would give it a try. Unfortunately it did not last long since it thought that my email prog 'Pocomail' was a trojan/virus and locked it from running. It identified it as suspect 'Backdoor Executive 4. As a precaution I re-installed Poco but with the same result.

I wrote to the developers about it and they say there will be an update in a couple of days that will right this problem.

Very fast response from them - about 30 minutes (from UK).

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Ok with all the talk of VBA32 of that past few months I decided to give her a try... Anyone getting a FP on Total Uninstall 3?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  18. Siarheika

Siarheika AV Expert

Just tested the files available for download from Total Uninstall home page: http://www.martau.com/index.php - no problems detected here. Could you please send the file which is causing FP to support-en@anti-virus.by? We'll try to resolve this issue.

19. Siarheika

Siarheika AV Expert

I'm sorry for providing not quite correct information here, that's why the explanation follows.

File received, thanks a lot.

Total Uninstall 3 is packaged into Inno setup installer, we have extracted the files from it manually before, but it did not contain any false positive (even more, the file 'Tu.exe' in it is in a nonworking state, entry point contains invalid code that crashes after being started).

But when actually installing this software, the file 'Tu.exe' is valid and is the same as submitted by NAMOR (looks like it gets patched at the final stage of installing after decompression). In this form, it is really flagged as 'suspected of Unknown.Win32Virus' with heuristics.

Appears that this file is a Delphi executable but patched with some tool (unknown to me), that is probably intended to hide its original entry point. The original program itself is neither packed or crypted, only entry point contains some weird code typical for some cryptors or polymorphic viruses. It is this code that causes heuristics alert.

Looks like the author of Total Uninstall 3 is overly paranoid about reverse engineering of his program, but this also looks suspicious a bit :)

Now this heuristics alarm is fixed, virus database will be updated in a few hours. Thanks for reporting this problem, if you notice anything else, don't hesitate to contact us.

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation and quick reply Siarheika. ;)

21. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Code:
    12:21:19 10-07-2005 C:\Program Files\ZipGenius 6\zg.exe : is suspected of Virus.Win32.HLLW.Antinny.1
    12:21:21 10-07-2005 C:\Program Files\ZipGenius 6\zipgenius.exe : is suspected of TrojanDropper.Win32.Joiner.1
    This is with excessive heuristics enabled.
    Mailed to support-en.AT.anti-virus.by

//*************EDIT***********************//
    I recieved an email back within a half an hour. These people even work on Sunday nights!!!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  22. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Really? I was pissed when I found out Arcavir and Dr.Web folks don't work weekends.. Another reason to love VBA32..

23. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Don't forget Holidays, Arcavir was delayed getting an update out for the last big outbreak because of a holiday.

There are DrWeb updates on weekends though.

24. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Does anyone find that their browsers are slower on surfing some sites with vba32?

Used it for a day before deciding to try out nod32 again. Latest version of nod works quite well with my pc, although the first version out of beta killed my surfing speed.

25. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

No slowdowns at all with VBA, and I use "Check only new files" setting. Same as Dr.Web in terms of being ultra-light..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.