Active Directory Domain Controller Imaging

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kex, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kex

kex Registered Member

Hello,

Currently running the Trial version of Acronis True Image for Windows Server.

My question is this, is there any problem with taking live images (i.e not running from the Recovery CD) of an Active Directory Domain Controller? I did a test yesterday and the image seems to set itself fine. What I am worried about is the AD-databases not beeing properly imaged and getting a corrupt database if restoring.

Has anyone done this and verified that it works? Regarding SQL databases I see that your recommendation is to shut the db down before imaging, is something like this needed for the AD, and if so how?

Had an error with only seeing 'Computers Near Me', but that had to do with no DHCP-servers running on the server subnet. Guess i'll try rebooting onto the CD to verify that recovery from a share actually works too.. :D

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kex,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

If you want to back up an Active Directory server, please stop ntfrs and netlogon services using the following commands:

net stop ntfrs
    net stop netlogon

After the snapshot is taken (it usually needs less than a minute to take the snapshot of the drive) you may resume the serives using the commands:

net start ntfrs
    net start netlogon

This will allow you to prevent database corruption.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.