What do you know about Smoothwall

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Has anyone tried this and if so how good is it? It seems like it would be good protection. How much in comparison to a router?

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

It is a real firewall. A router is just that. Even a NAT router is not a real firewall, it hides your network, but that's all.
    Smoothwall (and it's fork IPcop) are linux based firewalls with all kinds of extra's. Current versions deliver granular security options by distinguishing different kinds of networks (untrusted, trusted, dmz, wireless) and lots more. The specs are far more than those of a router.

If you want real control, just try it. You don't need to learn linux to install a linux firewall.

Good alternatives could be Astaro or sme server (includes web- and mailserver).

3. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

You have to put it on a seperate computer, don't you? How do you actually set it up? It sounds real interesting.

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Currently I don't run Smoothwall, I use a sme server as an internet gateway.

Smoothwall runs as a dedicated server. An old pc would just be ideal.
    The first network interface ('red') is the line incoming from the internet (it will probably directly be connected to your modem). Second network interface (green) leads to your local network (either 1 pc, or a switch). In this way all communication must pass through the firewall.
    If you have a dedicated webserver, you can connect it to the dmz network interface. This way Smoothwall doesn't need to use portwarding to your trusted network. Instead, incoming requests to your webserver (and mailserver if you want to) are routed to the dmz only. A perfect way to isolate your lan from the internet.

5. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

I prefer a router over this.

I'm thinking about the extra electricity needed to be running a computer with Smoothwall installed :)

Unless I have like a 10+ computer workstation, I don't need Smoothwall ^_^

But if you have an extra computer lying around, it's worth a try setting it as a Smoothwall gateway ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.