Regarding e-gold message with apparent trojan not caught

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by enduser999, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

Re: e-gold message with apparent trojan not caught

Well Nxx 2004 caught the goldun in this file but NOD32 still doesn't detect it even with the May 18th updates. I have to deal with people who click on attachments from people who they know even though I am blue in the face from telling them not too. I need to recommend anti-virus programs to these type of people. I am sorry to say the current trial version of NOD32 isn't one of them.
    :doubt:

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

And next week it will be the reverse order on some file that Nxx 2004 misses. Eset prioritise their updates, those out and about in the masses receive first priority, next most prevalent is next in line, and so on and so on...

I have sold hundreds and hundreds of copies of Nod32 to my clients and all I can say is that it works.

Cheers :D

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  3. enduser999

How computer savy are your clients though? Do they click on unexpected attachments whether these attachments be from friends or strangers?

4. Blackspear

Oh you bet your house they do, and with some you are never going to change that, in such instances Process Guard 3 is a very good preventative measure ;) :D

5. enduser999

Well I guess that I will have to disagree with that stance of having to use Process Guard 3 in order to prevent computers from becoming infected with known trojans. They would have to spend $39 USD for NOD32 + $29 USD for Process Guard 3 for a total of $68 USD or $85 CDN would be a hard sell for homeusers. They see other commerical anti-virus on store shelves for less than that here. As well Process Guard 3 on the surface confuse the heck out of a majority of my clients as well adding to the overhead that is already there in other commerical anti-virus products?

6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Enduser999 and RealCybi,
    Welcome to the Wilders. I do not recall meeting either of you here. Glad to know you. :ninja: ;)

7. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Do these other programs catch 100% of every virus, Trojan, worm or Malware ? Can you be totally relaxed in the knowledge that your "user" will continue to click on any unknown file in abandon?

8. Blackspear

I didn’t say that at all, I said “Nod32 works”, in fact it works really well, period. However, for some users, typically teenagers and people that are “click happy”, NO anti-virus will be enough. The next step up is Process Guard 3. It is very SIMPLE to use, if my Aunt and Uncle can use it (after having multiple spyware infections install themselves), absolutely anyone can, without a single doubt, and I know so, because I install it on home PC’s.

A very small price to pay for protection of a $2000 piece of equipment, and certainly less than having to pay for their data to be backed up and have Windows reinstalled and all their programs. I prefer to get to them before the accident, than after it.

It comes down to confidence in what you are selling. I have no problem whatsoever selling a system with Nod32, Acronis True Image, Process Guard 3, Regedefend, and CounterSpy, all at RRP. The public have had a gutful on continually being reinfected with rubbish.

And yet again I had another (new) customer in with teenagers, and a fully infected system, for the 3rd time around. She had purchased a system without a Windows Disk, had Norton on it, became infected, paid some cowboy over $400 to clean her system, got infected again, went to the local chain store, bought McAfee at $110, couldn’t clean her system. A friend of hers then recommend my company. She needed a reinstall of Windows, so had to purchase a copy, and we are reinstalling her McAfee, Process Guard 3 and CounterSpy. She too has had enough.

Both comments addressed above.

If you want to continue discussing this, I will have to split these posts off into another forum, as we are on the "Nod32 Support Forum".

Let me know.

Last edited: May 20, 2005
  9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Oh my goodness. $400? Even in AU Dollars its quite a bit I think :eek::eek::eek:

and $110 for McAfee?

Good thing she came to your shop, Blackspear! :)

But did she clean the remnants of Norton after uninstall? I ask because it can cause problems if not....

10. enduser999

Please do as I have had a less than flattering experience with CounterSpy.

11. enduser999

No not unless the developers for the other programs have released updates for the virus/trojan. However trying to explain to the clients why they need to spend more additional monies on another product,Process Guard 3, to protect them from the nasties, that their AntiVirus product in their thinking is going to be a hard sell. I haven't had the time to even try the 30 day version of Process Guard 3 so what makes it better and worth the cost of free registry monitors such as Tea Timer (SpyBot) and WinPatrol whoch both monitor registry changes?

12. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

But that's the point - your clients have to understand that no AV is fail safe as no AV provider will always have all definitions. Logically, there have to be some infections before definitions will be created meaning someone gets caught :(

So you only get better/ safer outcomes by behavioural changes and/or a combination of programs. As to the benefit of PG3, I haven't used it yet. I am sure others are more qualified to do so anyway ;)

13. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

This thread is a split-off discussion which originated here

Blue

14. enduser999

This was originally posted in the following thread

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=467143#post467143

Update: I am still hesitate with purchasing NOD32 and using it as my main antivirus. The reason is that it is the only AntiVirus program that has caused a fair amount of frustration with it interferring with my Email program Eudora and Azureus. As it stands now I am using an older version of Azureus and can not update to the current version as NOD32 will cause my system to come to its knees.

I have used several anti-virus applications over the years that I have been dealing with computers and NOD is the first one that had this severe of an affect on my computer.

:(

15. You may want to give Bitdefender a try...NOD on my system dragged surfing to
    a crawl...BD scans about 10-11 minutes faster than the last NOD beta.
    It's about 10 dollars cheaper than NOD ...also has a registry protector that
    works as good as prevx against reg test by Ghost.
    It updates several times a day...and is now has 169710 definitions.

16. enduser999

17. That was about 70,000 definitions ago...Give it a try...who knows, maybe
    faster now.

18. enduser999

Well BitDefender track record at VirusBtn is 7 passes and 6 failures over the period that VirusBtn has been testing the product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.