Write boot image to external drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dymfg, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dymfg

dymfg Registered Member

I am a new user of TI8 build 796 and I have used it to write an image of my Laptop C: drive to an external USB drive and I have 7 floppies that hold the boot image.

What I would like to know is :
    1) Can I write the BOOT image to the external USB drive so that I can then burn it to a CD. I do not have a CD writer on my laptop, and the Create Bootable rescue media screen only shows my floppy drive and not the External drive. For writing the disk image the External drive can be accessed.

2) I would like to write the Image files from the External drive to DVD. The File splitter screen only lets me select upto 700M for CD size. The FAQ on the Acronis site says to choose 2G when writing to DVD with the 2 step process ie write to a hard drive first then to DVD. Does anyone know why I cannot select 2G or 4G. What are the other steps required to write to DVD. I have DVD Decrypter to write iso images to dvd.What other software do I need o_O
    Can i use DVD Decrypter o_O

Thanks in advance

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, dymfg

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

Do not select one of the pre-set sizes for DVD, they are for floppy or CD, type a size in to the box.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dymfg,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

You may create Acronis Bootable Media only on floppies or CDs. Since you haven't got CD burner on the computer Acronis True Image is installed on you won't be able to choose CD as a media.

When you indicate the size of the image part please use Mb or Gb to indicate the units otherwise you may obtain a lot of 1Kb files. Also please note that some applications (for example Ahead Nero) will not allow you to burn 2Gb file onto DVD saying the file is to large that is why it is recommended to set 2000Mb instead of 2Gb. The discrapency is resulted from the way 2Gb are calculated.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. dymfg

dymfg Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully i will be able to burn to DVD's using Dvd Decryptor.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello dymfg,

I use DVD Decryptor 3.1.5.0 (for its intended purpose ;) ) and I'm fairly sure I couldn't use it to burn TI images to DVD. You'll need some other form of optical media burning software such as Nero Burning ROM or Roxio Easy CD Creator.

Regards

6. rharris270

rharris270 Guest

This may not be exactly what you want, but then it might give you another option: Like you I have no internal CD burner, but True Image 8 is quite happy to use my external CD burner to make bootable CDs. That burner is connected to the PC via USB 2.0. I have used these bootable CDs to restore my system on several occassions. TI8 also recognizes my external DVD writer, which is connected via firewire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.