Desperate for help w/ Trojan Dropper virus!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by StephF, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephF

StephF Registered Member

Hello-

I have a DSL connection, and have suddenly been bombarded with pop-ups. I downloaded SpyFerret and ran that to remove adware & spyware, but it kept coming right back. Finally I ran a Norton scan which identified the Trojan Dropper virus. Norton said that it was removed but I am starting to doubt that...The pop-ups continue to drive me wild and my browser is constantly crashing.

Is there any proven way to get rid of this virus? It seems like there are lots of programs out there for purchase, but I'm a little wary as I've heard these viruses can be quite tough to banish!

I would be eternally grateful for any suggestions!
    Thanks,
    Steph F.

2. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi, do you have the exact name of the Trojan?

Spyferret is on the bad list, i.e it breaches the copy right of other Anti Spyware programs, please do not use it.

Some very good free Anti Spyware programs;

Adaware HERE

Spybot S&D HERE

Microsoft Anti Spyware HERE

To get rid of the trojan you will need to use Anti Virus software, most companies offer free trials.

Nod32 HERE

If you need any more help please post back.

3. StephF

StephF Registered Member

Thank you! I don't know the exact name...I found it with Norton and I believe it just said "Trojan Dropper" and said that it removed the virus. However, I suspect it is still there b/c I am having an insane amount of pop-ups on my computer, which I have never had a problem with. I have tried searching for the virus but can't find it. At any rate, I'm downloading a trial version of NOD32 right now so hopefully that will do the trick!

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I would suggest following the comprehensive steps found in General Cleaning.

If these steps do not resolve your situation, you will need to download and run “Hijack This” found here and post your log at one of the forums found at A-SAP. The two bigger forums for HijackThis log processing, (meaning they process more log threads each day than most others) are: SpywareInfo.com and CastleCops.com. Be sure to read their posting policy in the links at their log review forum sections prior to posting.

The steps mentioned in General Cleaning use software that ought to be part of your security, as an absolute minimum. Once your system is clean, please don’t hesitate to ask further about using these and other security software to protect your computer.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

5. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi, its quite possible the Trojan Droper is gone, the pop ups may be as a result of additional malware downloaded by the Trojan before its removal.

If you are using Internet explorer as your browser, give FireFox a try its free and much safer than IE.

Make sure you also run scans with a good Anti Spyware program, the Microsoft Anti Spyware program is free at the moment, it has real time protection as well as a very good scanner.

6. StephF

StephF Registered Member

Thanks for all the help. I did run the NOD32 scan in safemode and that deleted the 71 instances of the Trojan Dropper that were on my machine. However, my machine somehow lost internet connectivity in the process and after spending over on hour on the phone with tech support, I finally reinstalled Windows last night.

Everything seems to be great so far, and I have loaded SpyBot and am about to download FireFox as preventative measures.

So thanks everyone...It's good to have my computer back!!

Steph F :)

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi StephF, it's good to see you are back on the net, usually if a connection is lost it is becuase of Winsock, and there are steps within General Cleaning to resolve this.

Spybot Search and Destroy with Firefox will not be enough to protect you, I would suggest taking a look HERE. As well there are discussions HERE and even more HERE.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.