Restore image from InCD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Chucky, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chucky

Chucky Guest

I have images on InCD-created DVDs.

If I need to restore to a bare computer, will I have to have InCD running in order to restore an image from a CD-booted copy of TI? Or will TI recognize the InCD-created images?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Chucky,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

When you restore the image stored on DVD you don't need to have any additional programs. Actually, you won't have any because the restoration process is usually performed after rebooting into Acronis Linux where all the software you had under Windows is not available. Acronis True Image will read the image on DVD itself.

Please use DVD+R, DVD+RW or DVD-RW because these are the DVD formats that are supported by Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. SvS

SvS Security Expert

That's the point exactly, InCD is a Packet Writing Software which usually requires a Windows Driver/Service installed to read or write disks formatted using InCD. Using InCD, disks can be formatted using different revisions of UDF so the question is if "Acronis Linux" supports the file system the disk is formatted with when InCD is used.

4. Acronis Support

Hello SvS,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

As I told in my previous post Acronis True Image works properly with DVD without any auxillary software. Current version of Acronis True Image cannot only write images to DVDs when boot from Acronis Bootable CD.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. SvS

SvS Security Expert

I understood the point you made about TI's ability to read DVD's but usually a data DVD uses the ISO9660 (+Joilet) file system and I'm pretty sure that this is supported by TI, now InCD formatted disks use UDF. Does "Acronis Linux" support the UDF file system on DVD/CD and if so which revisions are supported?

6. Acronis Support

Hello SvS,

Acronis Linux does support UDF format. We haven't encountered any problems with any format revisions and haven't heard of these problems of this sort. If you encounter any issues concerning writing in UDF format please describe them either on this forum or in the letter to support@acronis.com.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi again Ilya,

I can't speak for other software. However as far as Ahead's InCD UDF formats are concerned, after booting into the Linux based rescue environment, TI is unable to "see" image files if the DVD has been formatted using the UDF 2.5 file system (with or without Duplicate Metadata selected). UDF 1.5, 2.0 and 2.01 formatted disks are fine.

Using Ahead's Nero 6 and the alternative two-step method, I have also in the past created test images to DVD ROM (UDF) under all selectable UDF file systems (in this case 1.02, 1.5, 2.0 and 2.01). No problems were encountered when restoring images from within the Linux rescue environment.

Hope the above info helps.

Regards
    Tom

8. Acronis Support

Hello Tom,

Thank you for the information.

I have contacted our Development Team and they said the problem can be fixed rather quickly.

Could you please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears? After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the "OK" button and wait for # prompt to appear. Please insert a diskette into a floppy disk drive and a DVD that is not readable into your DVD drive and issue the following commands:

mount -t udf /devfs/cdroms/cdrom0 mnt
    cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

Send the sysinfo.txt file from the diskette to support@acronis.com and indicate in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Ilya Toytman.

This information will help our Development Team to fix the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. Menorcaman

Hi Ilya,

Done. Sysinfo.txt e-mailed to you as requested along with three jpg screenshots.

Regards

Tom

10. SvS

SvS Security Expert

Hello Tom,
    Thanks, this apparently explains the problem I faced while trying to use UDF formatted media. I'll try to reformat the media using UDF 2.01.

11. SvS

SvS Security Expert

Hello Ilya,
    Do you need some additional input on this is the Sysinfo.txt Tom sent enough to investigate and fix the problem?

Sven

12. Menorcaman

Hi SvS,

In addition to the problem TI currently has with UDF 2.5, this file system takes ages to format if Duplicate Metadata is selected.

I've settled on using InCD's recommended default UDF 1.5 files system as I find it provides good compatability with most CD/DVD drives.

If you still have a problem after reformatting, check whether your burner is capable of Mount Rainier writing (MRW) and, if so, ensure this is disable in InCD's format Options menu.

Regards

13. Acronis Support

Hello SvS,

It would be very helpful of you to send the same information as Tom have sent. Please note that the sysinfo.txt in this case is created not in ordinary way (as described at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317) and there is additional command. I will repeat the way of its creating:

Please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears? After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the "OK" button and wait for # prompt to appear. Please insert a diskette into a floppy disk drive and a DVD that is not readable into your DVD drive and issue the following commands:

mount -t udf /devfs/cdroms/cdrom0 mnt
    cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

Please indicate in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Ilya Toytman (in this way I will get it much faster).

Thank you for the cooperation.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

14. Menorcaman

No big deal but in case anyone is wondering, support for InCD's UDF 2.50 file system hasn't been included in Build 796.

Regards

15. Acronis Support

Hello all,

We regret to inform you that current version of Acronis True Image supports UDF 2.01 and earlier revisions of UDF format. We will implement the 2.50 revision support in future builds and the info you sent will help our Development Team to do it sooner. We are really sorry for the delay with this enhancement implementation.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

16. Menorcaman

Hello Ilya,

I have just got around to testing whether TI 8 Build 826 is compatible with the UDF 2.50 file system. I'm pleased to confirm that it is. Not only that but it's also compatible with disks formatted as UDF 2.60, which is now available in the latest version of InCD (4.3.14.1).

Thanks to the Acronis Development Team for sorting it out.

Kind regards
    Tom

17. Acronis Support

Hello Tom,

I will certainly forward your post to our Development Team. Thank you for your warm words.

--
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.