A guide to TDS and the DiamondCS family

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Pilli, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi All,
    I thought it may be useful to create this thread as there are frequent requests about compatibility. Sometimes there are perceived incompatabilities that can be corrected by adjustment.
    There are inumerable combinations of software & hardware around so maybe this will help guide users as to any problems.

My main sytem: XP 2200, Nvidia TI440 Graphics, two 80GB hard drives 512MB DDR Ram, Gigabyte MB with Raid, firewire, USB2 & Realtek LAN. Cable connection through Linksys router.

Memory resident security Software that works for me with XP Pro sp1 -
    Sygate Pro 5, NOD32 + it's pop scanner, TDS3, WG3, PE 1.35, WallWatcher, The Proxomitron or Webwasher or Spyblocker, MailWasher, Spamnet or SpamPal + Bayesian plugin, SpywareGuard (thanks Java Cool).

*edit by Jason* Changed thread title slightly

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Re:A guide to what works with TDS3 & the DCS family.

Hi Pilli:

That is an excellent idea, as many people are always asking "will TDS3 run with..........., etc."

So, as soon as I get home, I will give my specs and running apps that all play nicely with TDS3, at least for me.

Cheers. TAS

3. wink

wink Registered Member

Hi,

I agree with the thinking behind this thread, I read many posts that state possible compatibility issues and 'what ifs'. Currently I run DiamondCS software without issue so here's my addition to the list:

I run am AMD based system with, Win2k Pro SP3, IE6 SP1, TDS3 (*edit exec prot on*), WG3, PE1.350, McAfee, ZAPro without any problems. I have just installed Javacool's SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster will is running ok so far :)

I run various other applications on demand the only one which can cause an issue is the Steganos software so I have found an alternative and only use Steganos before I shutdown if I need to.

Hope this is a worthwhile addition, The list is short and consists of very commonly used apps but the fact they are currently working without problems is the main thing (for me anyway ;) ).

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:D Cheers TD & Wink,
    I should have mentioned that I always have TDS3 resident through Execution Protection as, of course, without exec' prot' it is normally "on demand" only.

I have added a link to this thread in the DCS private forums so that members there can (hopefully) add thier experiances to this thread.

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Here's mine as promised.

System: ~ 900Mhz AMD Athlon CPU; 256Mb RAM; Gigabyte 7ZX.1.0 MB; NVIDIA Vanta Video; Creative SB Live! Value Sound Card; Western Digital Hard Drive; Standard MS 101 Keyboard; Genius Optical Mouse.

OS: Win2K PRO SP3 [Fully Patched] ~ Browser: IE6.0 SP1 [Patched]

FULL TIME APPS RUNNING [Always ~ Either in SysTray or Background ~ no Icon]

TDS3 [Execution Protection Enabled Full Time]
    Wormguard v3.0 ["Installed" On Full Time]
    Browser Hijack Blaster
    SpywareGuard
    SpywareBlaster
    RegistryProt
    PC-Cillin 2003 [Firewall Enabled, Real Time Monitor Enabled, POP3 Scan, WEBTrap Enabled]
    Kerio Personal Firewall
    TClockEx [System Tray Clock/Calandar]
    WinKey
    TweakUI Settings

PART-TIME OR ON DEMAND PROGRAMS/AIDS:

MRU Blaster
    FileChecker
    ID-Blaster Plus
    Internet Sweeper
    Spybot S&D
    jv16 Power Tools
    System Mechanic
    AdAware Plus 5.83 [not until new version comes]
    BigFix [Security Hotfixes/Patches Advisor]
    Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer
    Gladiator Anti-Virus [GAV]
    SamSpade
    SuperScan
    SearchBar
    Copernic Pro Search [Melded with IE6.0]
    MailWasher
    Magic Mail Monitor [similar to MailWasher]
    IRCLean [IRC Related Worm Detection/Removal]
    AdSubtract Pro
    StatBar
    BelArc Advisor

PUBLISHING / PHOTO MANIPULATION PROGRAMS:
    Adobe Photoshop
    QuarkExpress
    Microsoft Publisher
    Adobe Acrobat [full version]
    Adobe Distiller
    Aladdin's Stuffit [Compression/Expansion]
    JGSoft Edit Pad [Lite]
    JPG Cleaner
    Chainsaw [File Splitter]
    Adeptec-Easy CD Creator
    ABI-Coder [Encrypton]
    Windows Media Player
    Sandra SiSoft Burnin
    Webshots

Hopefully, anyone viewing, can determine for themselves if there could be problems with certain apps.

All of the above, DO NOT CONFLICT AT ALL with TDS3 or WG.

I did have PestPatrol, I liked it but after a couple of weeks, kept getting errors with it. Uninstalled and found Spybot to be a perfect replacement.

However, I have since seen a thread whereby WG and PestPatrol conflicted and the solution seemed to be in WG to UNCHECK the "Hide Allow Button to User" option if it was on. I also hope this is handy to those running WG and PestPatrol. :)

Cheers, TAS.

6. grey_ghost

grey_ghost Registered Member

Hi,

I use many of the above.

Plus these with no problems.

Outpost Pro, The cleaner. IEClean, KAV4pro, RegRun Gold, MS Trackball explorer, Identify(caller ID on screen), BOClean, PhotoImpact, Photo Impressions, Nero and Clone CD, various HTML editors, CuteFTP, WinDVD platinum, TaskInfo 2002, CaptureWiz Pro, OmniPage etc, etc, :)

Win XPpro, 98se, IE6, Opera 7.01
    P4 1.6a@2.4, 512Mb PC2700 Asus MB SIS 533. Santa Cruz sound, GForce3.

Regards

7. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

ha ha he Pilli

thought you was all hard core with all those high tech best of the best gizmoes

your missing spycop in that arsenal of yours you got everything but spycop

look like some one with a heavy security fetish going to have to get spycop lol

niner niner niner lol

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:D Cheers Blazey! I will take a look at it - That's the the trouble with all this security stuff you need a 10GB CPU & 5 GB of RAM to keep it all running! :p

According to PC Pro, one of the driving forces for hardware speed improvements is the resources needed to allow enhanced security, that and gaming LOL.

To help me withe the Spycop question I have started a new thread here:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=6396

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

The new AdAware free, + & Pro, Appear to work with no problems so far in XP Pro No adverse effects in the last week.

10. Generix

Generix Registered Member

Hi. Currently I have running full time:
    NAV 2002, ZA Pro, MemTurbo (though you have to start this after loading TDS because it is killed for some reason), and TClock. I most often then not have open Callwave's IAM, mIRC, KaZaA Lite, and Winamp. I must reiterate on the subject of WinME being unstable. Speaking of, explorer just died as I speak.... :doubt:

11. Justin Smith

Justin Smith Registered Member

XP Pro SP-1 on Celeron 1200 w/248M RAM (portable):

Resident:
    TDS-3 exec
    WG
    NOD32 amon
    NOD32 pop3
    NOD32 control center
    Sygate 5
    CookieCop 2.2
    Adobe Acrobat acrotray.exe (always-available PDF distiller, currently disabled)
    McAfee Quick Clean (rulaunch (updater) and plg somethin'-or-other, also currently disabled)

Non-resident:
    AdAware 6
    PE
    McAfee Quick Clean

This all works. I've got some shut down issues, but they seem to be XP -related. I've talked to other people who have the same shutdown issues and they don't have any of the above software. I've disabled hibernation settings and that has made things somewhat better, but we still get a quick window at shutdown that shows Explorer.exe being 'ended'. Maybe that is perfectly fine, but it sure looks kludgy..

12. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

You name it and i have used or tested it and have found no apps to conflict with TDS.
    That topic should have really been what app does anyone know to conflict with it ;)

13. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Mickey,

Sure is beginning to look that way!

14. Gregory

Gregory Guest

I have found that you need to run MemTurbo AFTER starting or loading TDS-3....As TDS-3 seems to "kill" it otherwise.

15. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

Yes, i noticed this too, and i think it has to do with TDS-3 taking measures not to be killed by a trojan while its icon would still be visible.
    (You might know it or you may not, some time ago, there was a discussion about trojans that kill AT-programs. The user/victim wouldn't notice this, for the AT's icon would remain in the tray until the user by chance came with the mouse over it, when it would disappear. The discussion was about what measures could be taken by the Anti-Trojan program to overcome this - and there was no good solution, since it's basically an OS (Win) problem. Some programs started spawning another program which just had to monitor that the first program wasn't killed (but of course, this second program could - in principle - be killed just as well). TDS took the way of taking care of its tray icon so that when TDS would be killed - which can not be completely prevented - then at least its icon would disappear immediately and the user might notice it (or not).)
    As MemTurbo is the only program that i've seen which has this behaviour, i think it's not poor coding in TDS and i tried to find another Memory Manager. I came across some documents about Windows resource usage and finally i ended up using no memory manager at all anymore... (Anyways, i think there will be memory managers which cooperate with TDS for sure...)

Just a note (altho, it may be a bit off-topic. sorry for that.),
    Andreas

16. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:Dnot really your right there was a zap killer awhile algo that would leave a fake icon in its place so you think zone alarm was really working.

same thing with other security programs i was the victem of a fake aol icon trojan at one time lol

and i seen dialers that have been made to look like your internet provider icon perty nasty stuff out there

17. nz warrior

nz warrior Guest

o_O

I am relatively niave to a lot of techo computer words, but a freind tried the free download of TDS and every time they run the scans it hangs not responding. They have a very slow machine celeron 533cpu abut 300ram?, (dont ask me why the ram)

Could it be the cpu is doesnt have enough grunt to run this?

puzzled

PS I have 1.7g Win XP home edition, but when I restart the computer with TDS switched on it also hangs. I have had to switch off TDS and manually load.

18. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi!
    Many people either start TDS manually after all the startup after rebooting or delay it's starting a bit to give it all possible space. TDS does try to use lots of available room to speed up the scanning process, of whihc the procs memory scan take most time and which does take several seconds or minutes (depending on your system) might seem it's frozen but it comes lose after that scan and continues. My system is much slower then yours and i have every scan option checked and on highest sensitivity so the longest possible, i'm used to several minutes on win98se.
    So let it be and see how it goes.

Ring-ring: somebody ever told me celeron is not the nicest with speeding up processes, which can slow down heavy processes extra. The Full System Scan is the heaviest and takes all room available, so i always try to close all other unnecessary windows and programs till it's finished, save the results to the scandump.txt for further study.

Hope this helps!

19. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

This is probably an outdated file causing the problem.. see here

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=files

20. SKA

SKA Registered Member

Outpost Pro 2 latest does NOT work well with tds3 updater.
    OP crashes and its GUI shutsdown on Win98SE.

Pity ! Having noticed probs longback with Nod32/Amon & TDS3(now apparently fixed) I hope Agnitum will get their act together and fix asap.

SKA

21. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi SKA,
    so probably OP changed something which is fatal in this situation!
    Did you alert them as well?

22. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide

Hello SKA

We are using OP v2 and NOD32 v1.419 beta 5 and set to automatic update (via lan/cable). We are also using 98SE and we never had any problems with the update function. There are a few possible things to check (found in OP forum) so try those recommendations first and see what happens.

Best wishes.

23. e2P9

e2P9 Registered Member

I think the hardest thing is convincing my friends to wait until TDS is finished with its startup scan (even with memory objects excluded). Their tendency is to close the program, thus eliminating any benefit from having it. You practically have to give them a hell-fire and brimstone sermon about hackers and credit card numbers with case studies every time. Some say that reason is what makes us higher than the animals. I am begining to wonder if my friends are really my pets :p

I do have a question though about execution protection. I have experienced that when I attempt to run it on my box, explorer crashes consistantly upon bootup. Just a note to anyone, I think it may be Winblinds 4x related. WB also seems to cause PE to forget its Window demensions upon reinitialization. WB, of course is bogus in a lot of ways, which is why Id never use it on my work-laptop.

At any rate, here are the specs for my "toy" box

XP Pro sp1/Debian KDE 3.1.2 flavor (Linux) krnl 2.4.21

on XP:
    NAV/NIS/NSW (including Ghost) Pro2003
    TDS3, PE 1.7
    WinBlinds 4x
    ActiveSync 3x
    (these are the main background apps, all of which are updated)

Hardware environs:
    Processor
    Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26GHz
    Speed : 2.25GHz
    Performance Rating : PR2478 (estimated)
    Type : Standard
    L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous ATC

Mainboard
    Bus(es) : X-Bus AGP PCI IMB USB i2c/SMBus
    MP Support : 1 CPU(s)
    System BIOS : Dell Computer Corporation A09
    Mainboard : Dell Computer Corp.
    Chipset : Dell Computer Corp 82850/E Host-Hub Interface Bridge Device (A3-step)
    Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 133MHz (532MHz data rate)
    Total Memory : 511MB RDRAM
    Memory Bus Speed : 2x 399MHz (798MHz data rate)

Video System
    Monitor/Panel : Dell M991
    Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200

Physical Storage Devices
    Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
    Hard Disk : IOMEGA ZIP 100
    Hard Disk : WDC WD800JB-00CRA1
    Hard Disk : SM Reader USB Device
    Hard Disk : eUSB Compact Flash USB Device
    Hard Disk : eUSB SD-MS-SM USB Device
    Hard Disk : USB External Drive
    CD-ROM/DVD : HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B
    CD-ROM/DVD : TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1202

Network Adapter(s)
    Network Drivers Enabled : Yes
    Adapter : 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC
    SMC Compact USB to Ethernet converter

24. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hey :)

My laptop is Win2K Pro SP3 and I have exec prot enabled and have been using WindowBlinds and HoverDesk (both using the Azarro theme!) and haven't had any lockup issues except when shutting down or restarting the laptop from within HoverDesk. If I am out of HoverDesk but still have WB up I have no problems shutting down. I haven't seen any startup issues.

I thought you might be using WB when I saw your screenshot in the other thread :D

25. e2P9

e2P9 Registered Member

I must confess it is true, Senator. I have been playing with WB since it was first in beta...I think that was back in early 2000 or before, if my memory serves me correctly. I am digging on the VBox theme, with some modifications so I can ACTUALLY read text in documents et cetera. Icon Pkger is a must also.

It's good to hear PE/TDS avec ex prot have been working with WB in cultural harmony in your case. That means the two can get along, so it must be third variable thrown into the mix somewhere. Perhaps it is XP. (I too havent had this problem on my W2k pro box). perhaps the graphics card is also a player. I cant be sure at this stage. But I know that like clockwork when I install Ex Prot:

explorer gets hosed upon reboot
    Winblinds may not properly load
    other autostart items may fail to load

Tell you what Ill try. I will configure TDS to start manually on boot with ex prot on and see if maybe it is a bottleneck issue when everything is trying to start up, and I will get back to you with the results. I do have a decent system, but I also have a lot of junk I need to autostart as well (including the notoriously unstable office shortcut bar). Anyway, we will know something about my config and ex prot at that point. :D Oy.

Wombastically,
    e2P9

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.